Timeless (John Abercrombie album)
||This article possibly contains original research. (April 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Studio album by John Abercrombie|
|Recorded||June 21-22, 1974
Generation Sound Studios, New York City
|John Abercrombie chronology|
|Penguin Guide to Jazz|||
|The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide|||
Abercrombie has said: "The original intent was to do something that reflected my origins, playing with organ groups in the late 60's". The album was recorded with Jack DeJohnette on drums and Jan Hammer on organ, piano and synthesizer
In 1996, Boards of Canada used samples of Timeless for the track "Everything You Do is a Balloon".
The Allmusic review by Scott Yanow awarded the album 4½ stars calling it "Thought-provoking and occasionally exciting music that generally defies categorization". The Penguin Guide to Jazz awarded the album 4 stars noting "There's more filigree than flash on the early Timeless and it's left to DeJohnette and the underrated Hammer to give the set the propulsion it calls for... this is a session that has grown in stature with familiarity, an altogether tougher and more resilient label debut than anyone remembers". The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide said "Hammer especially plays with astounding fire and grace on this session, some of the finest organ playing he's recorded".
- "Lungs" – 12:10 (Hammer)
- "Love Song" – 4:35 (Abercrombie)
- "Ralph's Piano Waltz" – 4:55 (Abercrombie)
- "Red and Orange" – 5:24 (Hammer)
- "Remembering" – 4:33 (Abercrombie)
- "Timeless" – 11:57 (Abercrombie)
- Scott Yanow. "Timeless - John Abercrombie | Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 2015-03-09.
- Cook, Richard; Brian Morton (2006) . The Penguin Guide to Jazz Recordings. The Penguin Guide to Jazz (8th ed.). London: Penguin. p. 2. ISBN 978-0-141-02327-4.
- Swenson, J. (Editor) (1985). The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide. USA: Random House/Rolling Stone. p. 3. ISBN 0-394-72643-X.
- "ECM 1047". Ecmrecords.com. Retrieved 2015-03-09.
- Cduniverse.com Timeless CD
- Sleeve notes for John Abercrombie: Rarum, ECM, by John Abercrombie