Timeline of Swiss history
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is a timeline of Swiss history, comprising important legal and territorial changes and political events in Switzerland and its predecessor states. To read about the background to these events, see History of Switzerland.
Prior to 19th century
|This section requires expansion. (September 2015)|
|1307||"Swiss independence declared."|
|1832||Confederate Schützenverein founded.|
|1843||Schweizerisches Gesangsfest (singing festival) begins.|
|1847||Sonderbund War, a civil war that pitted Catholic against Protestant cantons|
|1848||September 12||Switzerland begins to become a federal state.|
|1874||The Swiss Federal Constitution was extensively amended.|
|1920||Switzerland joins the League of Nations.|
|1958||The Swiss population vote in favour of having a nuclear bomb. However, in 1968, the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty is seen as an alternative, therefore Switzerland does not build nuclear weapons.|
|1963||Switzerland joins the Council of Europe (not to be confused with the European Union).|
|1971||Women are given the right to vote.|
|1979||French-speaking Canton of Jura secedes from mostly German-speaking Canton of Bern.|
|2002||Switzerland was ratified as a member of the United Nations.|
|2009||Swiss minaret referendum, 2009 held.|
- Cities in Switzerland
- Benjamin Vincent (1910), "Switzerland", Haydn's Dictionary of Dates (25th ed.), London: Ward, Lock & Co. – via HathiTrust
- Oliver Zimmer (10 July 2003). A Contested Nation: History, Memory and Nationalism in Switzerland, 1761-1891. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0-521-81919-0.
- George Henry Townsend (1877), "Switzerland", Manual of Dates (5th ed.), London: Frederick Warne & Co.
- Leo Schelbert (2014). "Chronology". Historical Dictionary of Switzerland (2nd ed.). Rowman & Littlefield Publishers. ISBN 978-1-4422-3352-2.
- "Switzerland Profile: Timeline", BBC News, retrieved September 2015
- T.C. Grattan (1832). "Chronological Table of Subjects in the History of Switzerland". In Dionysius Lardner. History of Switzerland. Cabinet of History. Philadelphia: Carey & Lea.
- Thomas Bartlett (1841). "Switzerland". New Tablet of Memory; or, Chronicle of Remarkable Events. London: Thomas Kelly.
- William Henry Overall, ed. (1870). "Switzerland". Dictionary of Chronology. London: William Tegg.
- B.B. Woodward; William L.R. Cates (1872). "Switzerland". Encyclopaedia of Chronology. London: Longmans, Green and Co.
- Henry Smith Williams, ed. (1908). "Chronological Summary of the History of Switzerland". Switzerland, Russia. Historians' History of the World 17. London: Hooper & Jackson.
- "Switzerland". Political Chronology of Europe. Europa Publications. 2003. pp. 248+. ISBN 978-1-135-35687-3.