Timeline of e-commerce
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Online goods and services|
This page is a timeline of e-commerce. Major launches, milestones and other major events are included.
|1970s–1980s||Very basic systems of electronic commerce emerge, using new technologies electronic funds transfer (EFT) and electronic data interchange (EDI), used by a relatively small amount of people.|
|1980s–1990s||During this time period, ATM Machines and Credit cards laid down the foundation for the growing world of e-commerce. The Boston Computer Exchange and Minitel become among some of the first most notable e-commerce platforms in the world.|
|1990s–2000s||The advent of the World Wide Web opened the door for many new e-commerce services to have a global scope. Services like Amazon.com and eBay were some of the most notable e-commerce websites to be released in this time period.|
|2000s–2010s||Hundreds of e-commerce services such as online food ordering, media streaming, online advertising, online marketplace, brick and mortar retailers, e-commerce payment systems and online storefronts emerge.|
|Year||Event Type||E-commerce Type||Description|
|1969||Major launch||N/A||CompuServe, the first major American e-commerce company, is founded.|
|1979||Invention, Milestone||N/A||Electronic shopping is invented by Michael Aldrich.|
|1982||Major launch, Milestone||Online marketplace||The Boston Computer Exchange, a prominent bulletin board system-based (BBS) marketplace for selling used computers, launches. This is one of the first, if not the first, ever platforms for e-commerce.|
|Online marketplace||Minitel, a pre-Internet Videotex online service, launches. This service could only be used in France.|
|1984||Major launch||Online marketplace||Electronic Mall by CompuServe, a popular online marketplace, launches. It offered pictures of products in full color.|
|1986||Milestone||N/A||The United States (US) National Science Foundation (NSF) limits use of the National Science Foundation Network (NSFNET) for academic purposes only.|
|1989||Milestone||online ecommerce||May 1989, Sequoia Data Corp. Introduced Compumarket. The first internet based system for e-commerce. Sellers and buyers could post items for sale and buyers could search the database and make purchases with a credit card.|
|1990||Major launch, Milestone, Invention||N/A||The first ever web browser called WorldWideWeb is released by Tim Berners-Lee. Millions who have access to the internet can now browse e-commerce platforms with greater ease.|
|1992||Major launch||Online marketplace||Book Stacks Unlimited, an online marketplace for selling books, launches. Initially, it launched on BBS, then moved to the internet in 1994, in the form of www.books.com.|
|1994||Major launch||N/A||Netscape launches Netscape Navigator, a very prominent web browser.|
|1994||Major launch, Milestone||N/A||Ipswitch IMail Server became the first software to be sold online and then be available for immediate download.|
|1995||Milestone||N/A||The NSF lifts its ban of internet commerce on NSFNET.|
|1995||Major launch||Online marketplace||Amazon.com, an extremely prominent online marketplace, is launched by Jeff Bezos.|
|1995||Major launch||Online marketplace||eBay.com, also an extremely prominent online marketplace, launches. Initially, eBay.com was called AuctionWeb.|
|1996||Major launch||Online marketplace||IndiaMART, a prominent Indian online marketplace, launches.|
|1996||Major launch||Online marketplace||ECPlaza, a prominent Korean online marketplace, launches.|
|1995||Major launch||Online advertising||DoubleClick, a prominent and influential advertising launches. This one of the first services to serve ads on the internet.|
|1997||Major launch||Media streaming service||Netflix, an extremely popular subscription video on demand service, launches. Netflix also offers a DVD delivery service. Netflix only began offering online video streaming in 2007.|
|1998||Acquisition||N/A||CompuServe is acquired by AOL.|
|1998||Major launch||E-commerce payment system||PayPal, a very prominent online payment system, launches.|
|1999||Major launch||Online marketplace||Zappos, a popular online marketplace for shoes and other apparel, launches.|
|1999||Invention||N/A||Amazon patents its 1-Click service, which allows users to make faster purchases.|
|1999||Major launch||Online marketplace||Tradera, an online marketplace similar to eBay.com in function, launches.|
|1999||Major launch||Online marketplace||Alibaba.com, a very prominent Chinese online marketplace, launches.|
|2000||Major launch||Online marketplace||StubHub, a very popular online marketplace for event tickets, launches.|
|2000||Major launch||Online advertising||Google launches AdWords, an advertising service that allows users to show an advertisement in Google search results that is related to the viewer's search.|
|2000||Major launch||Brick and mortar retailer||Walmart launches its website, allowing customers to shop online.|
|2001||Major launch||E-commerce payment system||Skrill (formerly known as Moneybookers.com), a prominent online payment platform, launches.|
|2001||Major launch||Brick and mortar retailer||Costco launches its own business-to-business online shopping system.|
|2001||Major launch||Online marketplace||Newegg, a very prominent online marketplace for technology, launches.|
|2002||Acquisition||N/A||eBay.com acquires PayPal for $1.5 billion in stocks.|
|2002||Major launch||Online marketplace||Bossgoo, a prominent business-to-business (B2B) online marketplace, launches.|
|2002||Major launch||Brick and mortar retailer||Safeway Inc. launches an online delivery service, allowing customers to shop online.|
|2003||Major launch||Online advertising||Google launches AdSense, allowing users to promote their goods on the web based on the product's relevance to the viewer of the advertisement.|
|2003||Major launch||Online marketplace||Valve Corporation launches Steam, the most popular Digital rights management (DRM) and gaming platform in the world.|
|2005||Invention||N/A||Amazon launches its Amazon Prime service, which allows users to expedite shipping on any purchases for a flat annual fee.|
|2006||Major launch||Online storefront service||Shopify, a prominent storefront service, launches.`|
|2006||Acquisition||N/A||Tradera is acquired by eBay.com for approximately $50 million.|
|2007||Acquisition||N/A||StubHub is acquired by eBay.com.|
|2007||Major launch||Media streaming service||Hulu, a popular subscription video on demand service, launches. Hulu is composed of various media organizations.|
|2007||Major launch||Online advertising||Facebook launches its Facebook Beacon service to display more relevant information to users by collecting data on their web browsing outside of Facebook. With this, Facebook can also promote products based on whatever is relevant.|
|2007||Major launch||Online marketplace||Flipkart, a popular Indian online marketplace, launches.|
|2007||Major launch||Online food ordering service||AmazonFresh, a very prominent online food ordering service, launches in Seattle. It has since spread to dozens of cities across the US.|
|2008||Major launch||Online storefront service||Magento. a popular online storefront service, launches.|
|2008||Acquisition||N/A||Google acquires DoubleClick for $3.1 billion in cash.|
|2008||Acquisition||N/A||PayPal Credit (formerly known as Bill Me Later), is acquired by eBay.com.|
|2008||Major launch||Online marketplace||GOG.com, a prominent online gaming marketplace that offers DRM-free games, launches.|
|2009||Major launch||Online storefront service||BigCommerce, another popular online storefront service, launches.|
|2009||Acquisition||N/A||Amazon acquires Zappos.com for $1.2 billion.|
|2009||Major launch, Milestone||E-commerce payment system||Bitcoin, a very prominent cryptocurrency launches, and changes how consumers can pay for online purchases or even in restaurants.|
|2010||Major launch||Online marketplace||Groupon, a prominent online marketplace, launches.|
|2010||Major launch||Media streaming service||HBO Go, a popular subscription video on demand service that offers streaming of exclusively HBO content, launches.|
|2011||Acquisition||N/A||Magento is acquired by eBay.com.|
|2011||Major launch||E-commerce payment system||Google Wallet, a prominent online payment system similar to PayPal, launches.|
|2011||Defunction||Online advertising||Facebook Beacon is shut down due to privacy concerns.|
|2012||Major launch||Online food ordering service||Instacart, a popular and growing online food ordering and delivery, launches.|
|2013||Major launch||Online advertising||Facebook begins letting users sponsor posts, which helps give their posts or products more publicity among their friends, followers, and those to whom the post is relevant.|
|2013||Major launch||Online food ordering service||Google Express (formerly known as Google Shopping Express), a service similar to AmazonFresh and Instacart launches in several cities across the US, starting with San Francisco.|
|2013||Milestone||N/A||China becomes the largest e-commerce market in the world.|
|2014||Major launch, Milestone||E-commerce payment system||Apple Pay, a prominent payment system in the form of a mobile app that mimics a credit or debit card, launches.|
|2014||Major launch||Online marketplace||Jet.com, an online marketplace, launches.|
|2015||Major launch||E-commerce payment system||Google launches Android Pay, a prominent payment system similar to Apple Pay.|
|2014||Milestone||N/A||Singles' Day sales on Alibaba sites reach US$9.3 billion.|
|2015||Milestone||N/A||Cyber Monday sales set a new record of $3 billion.|
|2015||Major launch||Online marketplace||Pinterest enters the e-commerce scene by adding Buyable Pins, a feature that allows users to sell their pins to other users.|
|2015||Milestone||N/A||Singles' Day sales on Alibaba sites reach US$14.3 billion.|
|2016||Acquisition||N/A||Walmart announces it will be acquiring Jet.com for $3 billion.|
|2016||Acquisition||N/A||Alibaba announces it will be acquiring a controlling stake in Lazada Group for around US$1 billion.|
|2016||Milestone||N/A||Singles' Day sales on Alibaba sites reach US$17.7 billion.|
|2018||Milestone||N/A||Flipkart is acquired by Walmart.|
- "History of E-Commerce". www.spirecast.com. Retrieved 2016-08-19.
- "History of Ecommerce". www.ecommerce-land.com. Retrieved 2016-08-19.
- "Minitel: The rise and fall of the France-wide web - BBC News". Retrieved 2016-08-19.
- "The History Of Ecommerce: How Did It All Begin? - Miva Blog". 2011-10-26. Retrieved 2016-08-19.
- "About CompuServe". webcenters.netscape.compuserve.com. Retrieved 2016-08-24.
- 2009 Tkacz,Ewaryst,Kapczynski,Adrian 'Internet Technical Development and Application ' Springer p255 ISBN 978-3-642-05018-3 'The first pilot system was installing in Tesco in the UK [first demonstrated in 1979 by Michael Aldrich]..
- "The Used-Computer Market". 1991-05-01. Retrieved 2016-08-24.
- "Former New Englanders are laughing all the way to the beach". Retrieved 2016-08-24.
- "CompuServe expands electronic mall - Columbus - Columbus Business First". Columbus Business First. Retrieved 2016-08-24.
- "The Internet - The Launch of NSFNET". www.nsf.gov. Retrieved 2016-08-25.
- "Tim Berners-Lee: WorldWideWeb, the first Web client". www.w3.org. Retrieved 2016-08-24.
- "Visionary in obscurity: Charles Stack - Smart Business Magazine". Retrieved 2016-08-24.
- "OPSWARE INC. / On the record: Marc Andreessen". SFGATE. SFGATE. 7 December 2003. Retrieved 23 August 2016.
- "IMail Server | CrunchBase". www.crunchbase.com. Retrieved 2016-08-24.
- Kelly, Kevin. "We Are the Web". Retrieved 2016-08-24.
- "TIME.com:1999 Person of the Year, December 27, 1999". 2000-06-09. Archived from the original on June 9, 2000. Retrieved 2016-08-24.
- "1995: eBay launched under the name AuctionWeb - Photos: 20 years of websites - the defining moments of the web". www.computerweekly.com. Retrieved 2016-08-24.
- "Exclusive: Indiamart's Agarwal backs office products portal ProcMart". www.vccircle.com. Retrieved 2016-08-24.
- "B2B business helper ECPlaza - Find Buyers & Suppliers". www.ecplaza.net. Retrieved 2016-08-24.
- "DoubleClick". LinkedIn. Retrieved 27 August 2016.
- Pogue, David (2007-01-25). "A Stream of Movies, Sort of Free". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2016-08-24.
- "Netflix". LinkedIn. Retrieved 23 August 2016.
- "Celebrating PayPal's centenary". Finextra Research. 2007-04-11. Retrieved 2016-08-24.
- "Zappos Family of Companies". LinkedIn. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- Hartman, Peri; Bezos, Jeffrey P.; Kaphan, Shel; Spiegel, Joel (1999-09-28), Method and system for placing a purchase order via a communications network, retrieved 2016-08-27
- "Tradera". LinkedIn. Retrieved 27 August 2016.
- "Alibaba Group". www.alibabagroup.com. Retrieved 2016-08-24.
- "StubHub". LinkedIn. Retrieved 27 August 2016.
- "Google Launches Self-Service Advertising Program – News announcements – News from Google – Google". googlepress.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2016-08-28.
- "Our History". corporate.walmart.com. Retrieved 2016-08-27.
- "About Us | Skrill". www.skrill.com. Retrieved 2016-08-24.
- "Skrill (Moneybookers) | CrunchBase". www.crunchbase.com. Retrieved 2016-08-24.
- "Costco Wholesale Corporation Launches B2B E-commerce Site for Faster and Easier Business Shopping. - Free Online Library". www.thefreelibrary.com. Retrieved 2016-08-27.
- Quinn, Michelle (2007-12-29). "Branching out from techie heaven". Los Angeles Times. ISSN 0458-3035. Retrieved 2016-08-24.
- "History of PayPal Inc. – FundingUniverse". www.fundinguniverse.com. Retrieved 2016-08-24.
- "eBay to Acquire PayPal - eBay Inc". investors.ebayinc.com. Retrieved 2016-08-24.
- "Bossgoo.com". LinkedIn. Retrieved 23 August 2016.
- "Grocers make another go at home delivery". Retrieved 2016-08-27.
- "Google Expands Advertising Monetization Program for Websites – News announcements – News from Google – Google". googlepress.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2016-08-28.
- "Google AdWords | Google (PPC) Pay-Per-Click Online Advertising". www.google.com. Retrieved 2016-08-28.
- "Alexa - Top Sites by Category: Games". www.alexa.com. Retrieved 2016-08-24.
- Weissmann, Jordan (2014-03-13). "Amazon Is Jacking Up the Cost of Prime, and It's Still Cheap". Slate. ISSN 1091-2339. Retrieved 2016-08-27.
- "Shopify". LinkedIn. Retrieved 26 August 2016.
- "eBay Acquires Sweden's Tradera.com - eBay Inc". investors.ebayinc.com. Retrieved 2016-08-27.
- "eBay To Acquire Online Tickets Marketplace StubHub - eBay Inc". investors.ebayinc.com. Retrieved 2016-08-27.
- "Hulu". LinkedIn. Retrieved 23 August 2016.
- "Facebook's Beacon More Intrusive Than Previously Thought". PCWorld. Retrieved 2016-08-27.
- "Flipkart.com". www.flipkart.com. Retrieved 2016-08-28.
- "About Amazon - Our Innovations - AmazonFresh". www.amazon.com. Retrieved 2016-08-27.
- Perez, Sarah. "AmazonFresh, Amazon's grocery delivery service, wakes back up with a launch in Boston". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2016-08-27.
- "Magento Commerce". LinkedIn. Retrieved 26 August 2016.
- "Google to Acquire DoubleClick – News announcements – News from Google – Google". googlepress.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2016-08-28.
- Arrington, Michael. "eBay Spends More Than $1.2 Billion To Buy Bill Me Later And DBA.dk, And Lays Off 10% Of Employees". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2016-08-27.
- "GOG.com". LinkedIn. Retrieved 23 August 2016.
- Ryall, Jenni. "2 Aussies who met in a chat room created a start-up valued at $500 million". Mashable. Retrieved 2016-08-27.
- Wauters, Robin. "Amazon Closes Zappos Deal, Ends Up Paying $1.2 Billion". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2016-08-24.
- "The Crypto-Currency". The New Yorker. Retrieved 2016-08-24.
- "Find Restaurants that Accept Bitcoin in the United States | Bitcoin Restaurants". bitcoinrestaurants.net. Retrieved 2016-08-24.
- "Groupon". LinkedIn. Retrieved 24 August 2016.
- "HBO launches Netflix rival". Retrieved 2016-08-24.
- Warren, Christina. "eBay Acquires Open Source Ecommerce Company Magento". Mashable. Retrieved 2016-08-27.
- "Google Wallet". Mashable. Retrieved 2016-08-24.
- "Our Commitment to the Facebook Community | Facebook Newsroom". Retrieved 2016-08-27.
- "Instacart | CrunchBase". www.crunchbase.com. Retrieved 2016-08-24.
- "Instacart.com Traffic, Demographics and Competitors - Alexa". www.alexa.com. Retrieved 2016-08-24.
- "Sponsor Posts and Stories on Social Media - dummies". Retrieved 2016-08-28.
- "Would You Pay Facebook For Sponsored Posts To Dramatically Up Your "Like" Rate? (Updated)". 2013-03-04. Retrieved 2016-08-28.
- Perez, Sarah. "Google Shopping Express Launches In San Francisco Peninsula, Debuts New Apps". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2016-08-27.
- Perez, Bien (August 18, 2016). "China tipped to overtake US as world's largest retail market this year". South China Morning Post. Retrieved August 30, 2016.
- Inc., Apple. "Apple - Press Info - Apple Pay Set to Transform Mobile Payments Starting October 20". www.apple.com. Retrieved 2016-08-24.
- "Jet.com". LinkedIn. Retrieved 27 August 2016.
- Welch, Chris (2015-09-10). "Google's Android Pay is launching today | The Verge". Retrieved 2016-08-24.
- Perez, Bien (October 14, 2015). "Bingo! China's Alibaba likely to conjure up another e-sales record on 'Double 11' singles day after hitting US$9.3 billion last year". South China Morning Post. Retrieved August 30, 2016.
- Wattles, Jackie (2015-11-30). "Cyber Monday hits $3 billion sales record". CNNMoney. Retrieved 2016-08-27.
- Lynley, Matthew. "Pinterest Unveils Buyable Pins, A Way To Purchase Things Directly Within Pinterest". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2016-08-27.
- Rao/Fortune, Leena. "Pinterest Wants You to Go Shopping with New 'Buyable Pins'". TIME.com. Retrieved 2016-08-27.
- "Coming soon: Buyable Pins!". 2015-06-02. Retrieved 2016-08-27.
- Carsten, Paul (November 11, 2015). "Alibaba's Singles' Day sales surge 60 percent to $14.3 billion". Reuters. Retrieved August 30, 2016.
- Rey, Jason Del (2016-08-08). "Walmart is buying Jet.com for $3 billion". Recode. Retrieved 2016-08-27.
- Reuters (April 12, 2016). "Alibaba makes biggest overseas bet with US$1b Lazada deal". South China Morning Post. Retrieved August 30, 2016.
- C. Custer (November 11, 2016). "Alibaba breaks records, sells $17.7 billion on Singles Day". Tech in Asia. Retrieved November 11, 2016.
- "Walmart to Invest in Flipkart Group, India's Innovative eCommerce Company". Walmart News. May 9, 2018. Retrieved May 9, 2018.