Timeline of the 2008 Mumbai attacks
This is a timeline of the 2008 Mumbai attacks.
Warnings given to Taj Hotel and the Centre
In October, US intelligence agencies warned the chairman of the company that owns the hotel, Mr Ratan Tata that there will be a terrorist attack on the Taj Mahal Palace Hotel. Security was increased, but was removed soon after.
Entry into India and initial attacks
|21 Nov||evening||Ten terrorists leave Karachi, Pakistan in a boat and travel for thirty-eight hours, remaining undetected by the Indian Navy.|
|22 Nov||Each of the 10 men is given 6 to 7 magazines of 30 rounds each plus 400 rounds not loaded in magazines, 8 hand grenades, one AK-47 assault rifle, an automatic loading revolver, credit cards and a supply of dried fruit. |
|23 Nov||The terrorists hijack an Indian trawler, the Kuber, killing four fishermen and ordering the captain to sail to India.|
|26 Nov||dusk||They reach within four nautical miles (7 kilometres) of Mumbai and kill the captain. They then proceed to board three inflatable speedboats and proceed towards Colaba jetty.|
|26 Nov||20:10||The first boat carrying around ten of them with several large bags docks at Macchimar Nagar, in Mumbai's Cuffe Parade neighbourhood, where six of the men disembark and the rest continue sailing along the shore. When local residents ask about their occupation, the group responds that they are students.|
|26 Nov||20:30||Another such incident plays out in Colaba, when the remaining men come ashore at Badhwar Park, Cuffe Parade. They reportedly tell local Marathi-speaking fishermen to mind their business before they split up and head two different ways.|
|26 Nov||Two terrorists attack Leopold Cafe, spraying bullets onto the people inside before fleeing. 10 people are killed and many are injured, including a Reuters news reporter. Terrorists also plant bombs in two taxis, killing 5 people and wounding 15.|
|26 Nov||Four of the men enter the Taj Mahal Hotel, two enter the Oberoi Trident, two enter Nariman House, and the other two men, Ajmal Kasab and Ismail, take a taxi to Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus.|
|26 Nov||21:20||Armed with AK-47 rifles, Ajmal and Ismail enter the passenger hall of the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus railway station, open fire and throw grenades, killing 52 people and wounding 109|
|26 Nov||22:30||Ajmal and Ismail then proceed to the Cama Hospital. The Hospital staff, noticing their approach, lock all of the patient's rooms. The two men reach the Hospital, opening fire there. ATS chief Hemant Karkare attempts to chase them in a jeep, but is gunned down, along with three of his men. The terrorists then hijack the jeep and drive away, but are intercepted by a team from the Gamdevi police station near the pedestrian bridge at Girgaum Chowpatty (Coordinates: ). Ismail is killed and Kasab is arrested.|
At the Taj Mahal Palace and Tower Hotel
|26 Nov||23:00||Four terrorists enter Taj hotel.|
|27 Nov||00:00||Mumbai police surround the hotel.|
|27 Nov||01:00||Massive blast in the central dome, fire in the building.|
|27 Nov||02:30||Army soldiers arrive in two trucks and enter the front lobby. Fire spreads across the top floor.|
|27 Nov||03:00||Fire engines arrive. Shooting is heard inside lobby and heritage building.|
|27 Nov||04:00||Firemen rescue people with ladders. More than 200 people evacuated.|
|27 Nov||04:30||Terrorists reported to move from central dome to new tower.|
|27 Nov||05:00||Commandos and Bomb squad arrive. Police step up pressure.|
|27 Nov||05:30||Fire brought under control but terrorists holed up in new tower with 100 to 150 hostages.|
|27 Nov||06:30||Security forces say they are ready for encounter. Government also gives the green signal to storm the hotel.|
|27 Nov||08:00||People are brought out of the lobby.|
|27 Nov||08:30||Another 50 people brought out of Chambers Club.|
|27 Nov||09:00||More rounds of firing, many more people reported to be still inside.|
|27 Nov||10:30||Gun battle reported from inside hotel.|
|27 Nov||12:00||50 people evacuated.|
|27 Nov||16:30||Terrorists set fire to a room on the 4th floor|
|27 Nov||19:20||More National Security Guards (NSG) commandos arrive, enter hotel.|
|28 Nov||14:53||Six bodies recovered.|
|28 Nov||14:53 – 15:59||Ten grenade explosions.|
|28 Nov||15:00||Marine commandos recover explosives from Taj.|
|28 Nov||16.00||12 to 15 bodies recovered from the Taj by naval commandos.|
|28 Nov||19:30||Fresh explosions and gunshots at Taj Hotel.|
|28 Nov||20:30||Report that one terrorist remains at the Taj.|
|29 Nov||03:40 – 04:10||Reports of five explosions at the Taj.|
|29 Nov||04:20||The Taj Mahal Hotel is reported to be completely under government control.|
|29 Nov||05:05||Revised estimate of one terrorist remaining.|
|29 Nov||07:30||Fire raging on first floor. Black smoke on second floor. Gunshots heard frequently — apparent gun battle.|
|29 Nov||08:00||Indian commandos state that the Taj Hotel is now under control though they are still conducting room to room searches. People celebrate on the streets.|
At the Oberoi Trident
|27 Nov||06:00||Police don't do anything because they were not allowed to take decision as situation was handed over to NSG.|
|27 Nov||08:40||Firing heard, top army, navy officers arrive and take stock.|
|27 Nov||13:30||Two small explosions. More reinforcements enter building.|
|27 Nov||15:25||Some foreign hostages rescued.|
|27 Nov||17:35||Sikh regiment arrives, fierce gun battle.|
|27 Nov||18:00||27 hostages exit Air India building, four foreigners taken to hospital.|
|27 Nov||18:45||Explosion heard. Two NSG guards, 25 army personnel suspected injured. More people rescued, 31 in total.|
|27 Nov||19:25||Fire breaks out on 4th floor.|
|28 Nov||10:00||Many hostages evacuated from the Trident building.|
|28 Nov||15:00||Commando operations at Oberoi over, 24 bodies recovered. 143 hostages rescued alive. Two terrorists are shot dead.|
At Nariman House
|27 Nov||07:00||Police begin evacuating adjacent buildings.|
|27 Nov||11:00||Cross firing between terrorists and police; one terrorist injured.|
|27 Nov||14:45||Terrorists throw grenade into nearby lane; no casualties.|
|27 Nov||17:30||NSG commandos arrive, naval helicopter takes aerial survey.|
|27 Nov||00:00||9 hostages are rescued from the first floor.|
|28 Nov||07:30||NSG commandos are inserted via fast-rope from helicopters onto the roof of Nariman house. To prevent an attack on the commandos, snipers are positioned in nearby buildings.|
|28 Nov||19:30||Commandos find all 6 hostages, including the rabbi and his wife, tortured and murdered by the terrorists.|
|28 Nov||20:30||NSG commandos kill the 2 terrorists in a fierce gun battle and declare the operation over.|
- CNN interview with Mr Ratan Tata
- ExpressBuzz article about warnings to the Centre
- The Straits Times (30 November 2008). "Terrorists posed as Malaysian students". The Malaysian Insider. Archived from the original on 1 December 2008. Retrieved 30 November 2008.
- "Confessions of a Terrorist - India's Sept 11". The Straits Times. 30 November 2008. Archived from the original on 3 February 2010. Retrieved 30 November 2008.
- "Mumbai city of death". The Times. London. 30 November 2008. Retrieved 25 May 2010.
- Leahy, Joe; Sood, Varun (27 November 2008). "The night Mumbai became scene from a nightmare". Financial Times. Retrieved 27 November 2008.
- Moreau, Ron; Mazumdar, Sudip (27 November 2008). "The Pakistan Connection". Newsweek. Retrieved 28 November 2008.
- "About 20 Airline Crew Evacuated From Oberoi Hotel". New York Times. Associated Press. 28 November 2008. Retrieved 28 November 2008.[dead link]
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 20 June 2009. Retrieved 20 June 2009.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Mumbai Hit: Two terrorists shot dead".
- Indo-Asian News Service (27 November 2008). "Two terrorists killed, two arrested in Mumbai". The Thaindian. Retrieved 28 November 2008.
- "Sequence of Taj Events". NDTV. 29 November 2008. Retrieved 29 November 2008.
- "Timeline: one night of slaughter and mayhem". Evening Standard. 27 November 2008. Archived from the original on 5 December 2008. Retrieved 1 December 2008.
- "Officials quit over India attacks". BBC. 29 November 2008. Retrieved 1 December 2008.
- "Scores killed in Mumbai rampage". CNN. 26 November 2008. Retrieved 26 November 2008.
- "Mumbai Siege Ends". TOI. TOI. 29 November 2008. Retrieved 29 November 2008.
- "Commando ops at Oberoi over; hotel death toll 30". Ibnlive.in.com. Reuters. 28 November 2008. Retrieved 29 November 2008.
- "All Mumbai terrorists killed". news.com.au. 29 November 2008. Retrieved 29 November 2008.[dead link]
- "AP: India Shooting".
- Nariman House crisis heads for dramatic finish | Pics