Timeline of the Iraq War (2015)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This is a timeline of events during the Iraqi Civil War in 2015.
- January 8 – A suicide bomber targets a police checkpoint in the town of Youssifiyah, killing seven people.
- January 21 - Beginning of the Mosul Offensive in which Peshmerga forces captured large amount of territory surrounding Mosul.
- January 26 – Iraqi forces recapture the entire province of Diyala from Islamic State.
- February 24 – Multiple bomb attacks around Baghdad kill 37 people and wound dozens.
- March 2 – Second Battle of Tikrit begins.
- March 25 – American airstrikes on Tikrit, several Shiite militias go on strike.
- April – May: Al-Karmah offensive (2015)
- April 1 – After a month of hard fighting, Iranians, Iraqis and Shiite militia overcome ISIL fighters and take Tikrit.
- May 15: ISIL seizes control of the main Government building and city centre in Ramadi, the provincial capital of Anbar Province.
- May 15 – 20: Battle of Ramadi.
- May 20: ISIL captures Ramadi.
- June 4: ISIS fighters close Ramadi dam gates, cut off water to loyalist towns
- June 13: Militants attack government forces near Iraq's Baiji refinery, killing 11 near the city of Baiji as part of the battle for control of Iraq's biggest refinery.
- July 13: Anbar offensive begins.
- July 17: A suicide bomber detonated a car bomb in a marketplace in the city of Khan Bani Saad during Eid al-Fitr celebrations, killing 120–130 people and injuring 130 more. Twenty more people were reported missing after the bombing.
- July 23: Turkey begins bombing alleged PKK bases in Northern Iraq.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (August 2015)
- August 13: 2015 Baghdad market truck bombing
- August 21: ISIS imposes a curfew on Mosul after residents spray anti-ISIS graffiti on several walls.
- On October 22, Iraqi Security forces and the Popular Mobilization forces finished recapturing the city of Baiji, Iraq, its oil refinery and the surrounding region.
- November 13: Kurdish forces take control of Sinjar from ISIS after it was seized by IS forces in August 2014.
- December 16–17: Nineveh Plains offensive in which hundreds of ISIL fighters mount an attack against Kurdish positions but are repelled.
- 2015 in Iraq
- Terrorist incidents in Iraq in 2015
- Timeline of ISIL-related events (2015)
- Timeline of the Iraq War (2014)
- Timeline of the Iraq War (2016)
- Timeline of the Iraq War (2017)
- "Suicide attack kills 7 in Iraq". 8 January 2015. Retrieved 12 January 2015.
- "Iraq forces 'liberate' Diyala province from IS". Yahoo News. 26 January 2015. Retrieved 18 July 2015.
- "Wave of bombings in Baghdad kills 37 people". 24 February 2015. Retrieved 24 February 2015.
- "Iraq 'seizes districts from IS' in Tikrit advance". BBC News. Retrieved 18 July 2015.
- Alkhshali, Hamdi; Smith-Spark, Laura (4 June 2015). "Iraq: ISIS fighters close Ramadi dam gates". CNN. Retrieved 18 July 2015.
- "Militants attack government forces near Iraq's Baiji refinery". The Daily Star Newspaper. Lebanon. Retrieved 18 July 2015.
- "Fallujah Liberation Key to Securing Anbar". US News & World Report. Retrieved 23 July 2015.
- Salim, Mustafa (18 July 2015). "At least 130 are dead in Iraq after a massive bomb attack". The Washington Post. Retrieved 23 July 2015.
- "Iraq violence: Car bomb kills scores in mainly Shia town". BBC News. Retrieved 23 July 2015.
- "Isis imposes curfew in Mosul after spread of anti-Caliphate graffiti", Ara news, Aug 2015.
- "Battle for Sinjar: IS-held town in Iraq 'liberated'", BBC news, Nov 2015.
|This Iraq-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|