Timeline of the Syrian Civil War (August–December 2015)
According to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, four separate missiles were fired at Douma by SAAF fighters, which struck the main market in the town during rush hour, killing 96 people.
At least 50 people - mainly women and children - are killed when the Assad regime targeted the Douma town in an opposition-held suburb of Damascus with barrel bombs. A number of buildings were destroyed by the attacks, while another 100 are injured.
ISIS fighters launch an assault on Qadam and Asali in the southern outskirts of Damascus from their base in Al-Hajar al-Aswad, clashing with Jaysh al-Islam fighters in Qadam and those of Ajnad al-Sham in Asali.
Fierce clashes took place in the vicinity of Marea town north of Aleppo, where Levant Front rebel soldiers killed seven ISIS militants and took 11 others as hostages, beside destroying three ISIS vehicles. The Shamiya Front also seized heavy machine guns from ISIS militants, as dozens withdrew from the area after "heavy losses".
Other rebel factions attacked ISIS-held villages of Harbal, Sandaf, Kafrah and Harjal in the northern countryside of Aleppo. It was not clear whether the attacks caused any casualties in the ranks of ISIS.
Anti-government violence erupted in the town of Sweida, a stronghold of the Druze minority sect, following the killing of Druze leader Sheikh Wahid Al-Balous, a prominent cleric in rare explosions the previous day that claimed the lives of at least 25 others. Rioters holding the government responsible for the cleric's death destroyed the statue of late President Hafez Al-Assad and besieged security offices.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu rejects notion of accepting Syrian refugees.
The Levant Front shoots down an M6 warplane for the pro-Assad air force near the Nairab military airport in Aleppo province, and seizes control of major parts of Hamdaniyah district after fierce clashes with pro-Assad militias, killing at least fifteen regime soldiers. The Front also bombs pro-Assad security headquarters in Salahaddin neighborhood. The regime forces responded with dropping more than six barrel bombs on the rebel-held neighborhoods of Dahiya and Shekhan in Aleppo, killing more than ten civilians.
At least 15 civilians - six children and nine women - are killed and dozens injured after pro-Assad warplanes launch some four rockets targeting residential buildings in rebel-held al-Maadi neighborhood in Aleppo city in the evening, with more than 25 injured.
A short video is released purporting to show Free Syria Army (FSA) soldiers in Idlib installing sensor wires on a new DIY missile defense system for areas under their control to provide some protection to the civilians and planning to continue the project in other cities.
Government helicopters drop barrel bombs that struck a busy market place, that is packed with shoppers and people buying necessities for children who go back to school this week, in the FSA-held Bosra, killing between 17 and 24 people and many others wounded, with many of them in critical condition.
At least 47 people were killed in air raids by Syrian government forces in rebel-held areas of the northern city of Aleppo.
Syrian warplanes carried out a wave of airstrikes in the Islamic State-held city of Raqqa.
United States Defense Secretary Ashton B. Carter opened a dialogue regarding Syria with his Russian counterpart, Sergei K. Shoigu, aimed at making sure that American and Russian forces avoid running into each other.
Pro-Assad forces targeted al-Shaar neighborhood in eastern Aleppo city with surface-to-surface missiles, hitting a crowded public market, killing more than 30 civilians and dozens wounded.
Syrian army recaptures villages in Hama suburbs.
More than 2 months after the siege began, the UN announced that an agreement between the warring parties had finally been reached after repeated mediation efforts. Per the agreement, the remaining entrenched rebels were able to withdraw from Syrian government besieged Al-Zabadani and lease control of the town to the Syrian government while surrendering all weapons, save for light handguns, and withdrawing to the Idlib Province. Conversely, civilians (approximately 10,000 people) still remaining inside the rebel-besieged Shi'ite villages of Al-Fu'ah and Kafriya are to be evacuated. Evacuation of wounded from both sides was expected to begin as early as 25 September. An additional stipulation denotes the release of 500 rebel captives from Syrian government-held prisons. The agreement would be overseen by the United Nations office in Damascus. However, SOHR reported on 26 September that a rebel fighter had been killed in a firefight with the NDF near the villages of Al-Fou’aa and Kafraya.
Two days later the first bus transport evacuating the rebel combatants to Idlib began leaving Al-Zabadani.
The ceasefire was still in effect despite of a couple of violations on 27 September.
The U.S military admitted that US-trained Syrian rebels has handed over their vehicles and ammunition to fighters linked to al-Qaeda, apparently to gain safe passage.
Its reported that the British Prime Minister David Cameron did not rule out that Assad could be part of a transition, but "what he is very clear about is that Assad cannot be part of Syria's future in the long run."
France starts launching its first air strikes in Syria targeting ISIS training camps.
Russian President Vladimir Putin branded U.S. support for rebel forces in Syria as illegal under the UN charter and ineffective, saying U.S.-trained rebels were leaving to join Islamic State with weapons supplied by Washington, according to the American military's own reports.
Russia starts bombing Syria.
Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi expressed its support to the Russian military intervention in the Syrian Civil War.
4th Hama Offensive begins with Iranian and Russian support.
The FSA repels an offensive mounted by Assad forces in the countryside near Hama, destroying 10 government tanks – despite coming under repeated Russian air assault.
FSA rebels claim to have downed two regime helicopters that were mounting a coordinated air assault with Russian warplanes on the village of al-Mugheer. Meanwhile, the Syrian Army captures 40 km of territory in northern Hama
On 10 October, it was reported that the Syrian Army captured the strategically important villages of Atshan and Om Hartein and that it was pushing onwards to capture Khan Shaykhun in southern Idlib province. A number of government tanks and APC's were destroyed during the clashes. Hezbollah senior leader Hassan Hussein al-Haj was killed that day.
Russian warplanes struck a field hospital in the town of Sarmin killing 13 people, including two medical staff. A physiotherapist, Hassan Taj al-Din, and a hospital guard from the clinic, which was run by the Syrian-American Medical Society (SAMS), were killed in the attack. Taj al-Din leaves behind his four-months pregnant wife.
The Syrian Observatory of Human Rights reported that according to a defected ISIS leading figure from Syrian descent, over 200 ISIS fighters from Chechnya and central Asian nationalities were executed for trying to defect from IS to join Jabhat al-Nusra.
IS captures Mheen and Hawwarin, west of Al-Qaryateyn city.
The Ajnad al-Sham showed pictures of a beheaded SAA officer, labeling him as a "Nusayri" (derogatory word to an Alawi Muslim) on Twitter and Facebooks accounts. In a separate event, the Ajnad al-Sham and other rebel forces recaptured the village of Atshan and surrounding areas in Hama province, consolidating significant advances made the day before at the expense of pro-government forces.
Syrian Armed Forces reach the Kwayres Airbase and end the siege of 3 years imposed by ISIS.
Syrian Rebels fire a rocket at Latakia killing 22 civilians and wounding 65.
Army media reported SAA advances into the Marj Al-Sultan Military Airbase in Damascus, after heavy clashes with Jaysh al-Islam, meanwhile in Aleppo the Lebanese Group Hezbollah and Syrian Army Units reported the capture of Jabal Al-Eiss from Harakat Ahrar Al-Sham rebels.
Government forces and its allies capture 408 Square Kilometers of Territory in Southern Aleppo, this marks the largest series of gains for the pro-government forces since their first offensive at the Qalamoun Mountains in late 2013.
Syrian state media reported that the SAA seized the village of al-Hadath from the Islamic State around 30 km from the Damascus-Homs highway  On the same day, Russian Long Range Aviation commences its airstrikes against ISIL in Syria.
Turkish F-16s shoot down a Russian Su-24 operating in Northern Latakia. Both occupants ejected successfully. The pilot was shot and killed by Syrian Turkmen rebel ground fire while descending by parachute. The weapon systems officer was rescued two days later. A Russian naval infantryman from the search-and-rescue team launched to retrieve the two airmen was also killed when a rescue helicopter was shot down by the rebels.
A regime helicopter dropped barrel bomb on a populated area of Zafaraneh town near the city of Homs, killing a man and a young girl and wounding 16 other people. Soon after the patients were all admitted to the MSF-supported Al-Zafarana hospital, three more barrel bombs landed nearby, killing one bystander and wounding 31 patients under treatment and medical staff. Parts of the hospital were destroyed and the kidney dialysis unit was heavily damaged. The most critically wounded patients were transferred to three nearby hospitals. Five of them died en route. In total, seven people died and 47 were wounded, including 23 women and children under the age of 15.
94 wanted persons from Damascus, its countryside and Idleb provinces turned themselves in to authorities in order to have their legal status settled.
Russian announced its intentions to open a second airbase in Homs.
United Kingdom fighters restart bombing operations in Syria against Islamic State militants.
Germany's parliament approved government plans to join the military campaign against Islamic State in Syria but that German airstrikes would operate independently that those of France, Britain, United States and Russia.
Government Forces seized 60 km of land in the Province of Latakia from FSA and other rebel forces, according to pro-government media.
Western media reports of low morale, desertions, and distrust of leaders by the Free Syria Army (FSA) fighters. Claiming that the FSA is on the verge of collapse, for a number of reasons. Including lack of payments and failure to achieve any significant victories or create any "liberated" zones.
The Syrian government air force launched a deadly airstrike on the rebel-held city of Douma in the suburb of Damascus, killing more than 40 civilians and wounding 75 others. The airstrike hit a building where a large number of civil rights activists and residents of Douma were gathered to discuss the humanitarian crisis in the city. There was no single armed person in the targeted building. All casualties are civilians.
At least six Russian airstrikes hit a busy market place in the center of the rebel-held Idlib city, several government buildings and residential areas, killing 43 people and wounding over 150.
Government fighter jets launched several raids on the opposition-held district of Hammuriyah in southeastern Damascus, causing damage to residential buildings and shops in central Hammuriyah in the Eastern Ghouta. At least 17 civilians were killed and 25 others injured.
A series of Rebel leaders are targeted across Syria, a Russian airstrike, coordinated with Syrian government intelligence, hit a building in Damascus suburb where leading members of the Army of Islam group were meeting. The top leader and founder of Jaish al-Islam Zahran Alloush was among 4 leaders killed in the airstrike including its deputy. Zahran Alloush was the founder of Jaysh al-Islam, the largest opposition group in Rif-Damashq province. He deserted from the Free Syrian Army (FSA) and established another rebel group. Essam al-Buwaydhani replaces Zahran Alloush as head of Jaysh al-Islam.
The Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) leadership confirms that more than 200 rebels deserted the Raqqa Revolutionary Brigade and joined SDF ranks over the past few days. In a separate event, the SDF seizes the Tishreen Dam, a main supply route for ISIS militants between Raqqa and Aleppo.
Buses and ambulances head to Zabadani to evacuate 126 civilians and wounded fighters from the besieged rebel bastion. The evacuation is part of a truce in which rebels and civilians are taken from the besieged town and transported to Beirut, in turn 336 Shi'ite villagers from Kefraya and Fuaa are allowed to head to Turkey with the aim of reaching Lebanon.
- "Syrian army retreats in northwest Syria - Business Insider". businessinsider.com. Retrieved 12 August 2015.
- "Syria conflict: Rebels advance on Assad heartland - BBC News". bbc.com. Retrieved 12 August 2015.
- Syrian regime bombs Douma, killing 50. Retrieved 2015-09-20.
- Islamic State battles Syrian rebel forces in Damascus. Retrieved 2015-09-02.
- Syrian rebels say kill foreign ISIS fighters in undercover strike. Retrieved 2015-09-02.
- PHOTOS ALLEGEDLY TAKEN OVER IDLIB SEEM TO PROVE RUSSIAN MIGS, SUKHOIS AND DRONES ARE CURRENTLY OPERATING AGAINST ISIS IN SYRIA. Retrieved 2015-09-04.
- Russian jets in Syrian skies. Retrieved 2015-09-04.
- Seven ISIS militants killed in renewed clashes with Syrian rebels near Aleppo. Retrieved 2015-09-04.
- Violent protests hit Syria's Sweida city. Retrieved 2015-09-06.
- "One country that won't be taking Syrian refugees: Israel", Batsheva Sobelman. Los Angeles Times. 6 September 2015. Accessed 5 May 2017
- News Desk. "Video Footage of Russian Marines Conducting Drills in Tartous". Al-Masdar News. Retrieved 25 October 2015.
- Leith Fadel. "Russian Marines Begin Large Scale Military Exercises Inside Syria". Al-Masdar News. Retrieved 25 October 2015.
- "11 dead in rebel shelling on Damascus: activists". The Daily Star. 12 September 2015.
- "Rebels storm Syria's largest prison near Damascus: monitor". 11 September 2015. Archived from the original on 5 October 2015.
- Syrian rebels shot down warplane, advance against pro-Assad forces in Aleppo. Ara News. Retrieved 2015-09-17.
- Pro-Assad forces commit new massacre in Aleppo. Ara News. Retrieved 2015-09-17.
- Northern Syrian rebels claim to build their own air defense system. Ara News. Retrieved 2015-09-18.
- Syria carries out rare attacks on ISIS capital. Retrieved 2015-09-18.
- . Retrieved 2015-09-18
- . Retrieved 2015-09-18.
- U.S. Begins Military Talks With Russia on Syria. The News York Times. Retrieved 2015-09-27.
- Syrian rebel group claims it attacked base used by Russians Archived 27 September 2015 at the Wayback Machine. Timesunion. Retrieved 2015-09-19.
- Pro-Assad forces target Aleppo public market with missiles, dozens killed. Ara News. Retrieved 2015-09-24.
- Syrian army recaptures villages in the north . Yahoo News. Retrieved 2015-09-23.
- "Syria army, rebels reach deal on Zabadani, Idlib villages: source". The Daily Star Newspaper - Lebanon. Retrieved 30 September 2015.
- Edward. "Sponsored by the Turkish and Iranian and the guarantee of the international envoy, the terms of the agreement about Zabadani and Kafrayya and al-Fou'aa and their surroundings". Syrian Observatory For Human Rights. Retrieved 30 September 2015.
- News Desk. "Warring Sides in Syria Reach Deal on Al-Zabadani, Kefraya, Al-Fou'aa". Al-Masdar News. Retrieved 30 September 2015.
- Edward. "Deaths for the regime forces in the road of Palmyra–Homs and regime's helicopters target the southern countryside of Idlib". Syrian Observatory For Human Rights. Retrieved 30 September 2015.
- Leith Fadel. "Islamist Rebels Begin Withdrawal from Al-Zabadani: First Transport Buses Arrive". Al-Masdar News. Retrieved 30 September 2015.
- "Ceasefire holds in NW Syria after violation: monitor". The Daily Star Newspaper - Lebanon. Retrieved 30 September 2015.
- Syria crisis: US-trained rebels give equipment to al-Qaeda affiliate. BBC. Retrieved 2015-09-27.
- Cameron: Assad could stay for the short-term. Al-Arabiyah News. Retrieved 2015-09-27.
- France launches air strikes against Islamic State in Syria. Reuters. Retrieved 2015-09-27.
- U.S. support for Syria rebels illegal: Putin. Reuters. Retrieved 2015-09-27.
- Report: Pentagon Suspends Syrian Rebel Training Program. news.antiwar.com Retrieved 2015-09-29.
- "Russia's expanding air campaign in Syria". Yahoo News. 7 October 2015. Retrieved 25 October 2015.
- Egypt supports Russia’s military moves in Syria. english.alarabiyah.net Retrieved 2015-10-04.
- Syria Rebels Repel Ground Assault, Call for US Help. VOA. Retrieved 2015-10-09.
- Leith Fadel. "Syrian Army Captures 40 km of Territory in Northern Hama". Al-Masdar News. Retrieved 8 October 2015.
- Master. "The regime forces seize the village of Atshan and advance towards the area, and violent clashes take place in Sahl al- Ghab". Syrian Observatory For Human Rights. Retrieved 25 October 2015.
- "Syria regime advances with Russian air support". Yahoo. Agence France-Presse. Retrieved 10 October 2015.
- "Hezbollah holds funeral for senior commander killed in Syria". news10.com. Retrieved 31 October 2015.
- "Official: Russia 'deliberately targeting' US-backed forces in Syria". Fox News. Retrieved 25 October 2015.
- "U.S., Russia sign memo to avoid clashes in air over Syria". Reuters. Retrieved 25 October 2015.
- "Canada to withdraw fighter jets from Iraq and Syria". Telegraph.co.uk. 20 October 2015. Retrieved 25 October 2015.
- Daniel Wiser. "Jimmy Carter offers help for Russia's bombing campaign in Syria". Fox News. Retrieved 25 October 2015.
- Russia air strikes target Syria field hospital killing two medical staff and 10 civilians. Retrieved 20150-11-07.
- Syrian regime barrel bomb falls metres from man filming attack in Daraya. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- ""Islamic State" executes more than 200 of its own militants tried to defect, a defected leading figure said". SOHR. Retrieved 29 October 2015.
- "Syrian rebels using caged civilian captives as 'human shields'". Telegraph.co.uk. 2 November 2015. Retrieved 20 March 2016.
- Naline Malia; Sylia Westall (5 November 2015). "Syrian rebels seize town in west in blow to government". Reuters. Retrieved 7 November 2015.
- Leith Fadel (6 November 2015). "U.S. Backed Moderate Rebels Proudly Post Images of Beheaded Syrian Soldiers in Northern Hama". Al-Masdar News. Retrieved 20 March 2016.
- Syrian rebels recapture village in west. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- Russian airstrikes reportedly kill 11 civilians in Idlib. Retrieved 2015-11-10.
- 10 dead in Syria regime raids on IS-held town: monitor[dead link]. Retrieved 2015-11-10.
- The regime forces raise the siege imposed on the airbase of Kwayres; some groups reach inside it
- "Rebel rocket fire kills 22 in Syria's Latakia - worldwide - Finland Times". Retrieved 20 March 2016.
- "Free Syrian Army decimated by desertions". Retrieved 20 March 2016.
- Leith Fadel (13 November 2015). "Breaking: Syrian Army Enters the Helicopter Airfield in the Rebel Stronghold of Marj Al-Sultan". Al-Masdar News. Retrieved 20 March 2016.
- Leith Fadel (13 November 2015). "Breaking: Syrian Army and Hezbollah Officially Capture the Strategic Town of Jabal Al-Eiss in Southern Aleppo". Al-Masdar News. Retrieved 20 March 2016.
- Leith Fadel (14 November 2015). "Syrian Army and Hezbollah Capture 408 Square Kilometers of Territory in Southern Aleppo". Al-Masdar News. Retrieved 20 March 2016.
- "Syrian army captures village from Islamic State" - Reuters 17 November 2015
- "Генштаб: Россия нанесла третий массированный удар по боевикам в Сирии" (in Russian). Russian News Agency TASS. 19 November 2015. Retrieved 19 November 2015.
- 6 civilians killed in Raqqa strikes as US pushes Syria peace talks. 19 November 2015. Middle East Eye. Retrieved 2015-11-20.
- Leith Fadel (23 November 2015). "Breaking: Syrian Armed Forces Liberate Maheen in East Homs". Al-Masdar News. Retrieved 20 March 2016.
- Leith Fadel (23 November 2015). "Syrian Army Seizes Jabal Zuwayk in Northern Latakia: Almost 200 km Captured in 10 Days". Al-Masdar News. Retrieved 20 March 2016.
- "Farsnews". Retrieved 20 March 2016.
- The MSF hospital was hit by "double-tap" barrel bombs and caused the death of seven people. The "double-tap" barrel bombing is used by the Syrian air force. Retrieved 2015-12-2.
- Syria: Double-tap bombing on MSF-supported hospital – hospital partially destroyed – patients under treatment died in transit. Retrieved 2015-12-2.
- "94 wanted persons turn themselves in to authorities | Syrian Arab News Agency". sana.sy. Retrieved 29 November 2015.
- Russian air strikes kill at least 30 in stepped up raids in northwest Syria. Reuters. Retrieved 2015-11-29.
- At least 18 civilians killed in Syria airstrikes: monitor. The International New York Times. Retrieved 2015-11-29.
- Syria vote: Should Britain join the US, France and Russia in bombing Islamic State?. International Business Times. Retrieved 2015-12-4.
- "Britain joins U.S.-led coalition in bombing Syrian oil facilities held by Islamic State". thestar.com. 3 December 2015. Retrieved 20 March 2016.
- Leith Fadel (5 December 2015). "Syrian Army Seize Over 60 Square KM of Territory in Northeastern Latakia". Al-Masdar News. Retrieved 20 March 2016.
- "Key Syrian opposition group pulls out of Riyadh talks". Retrieved 20 March 2016.
- "US-backed Syrian rebel group on verge of collapse". Stars and Stripes. Retrieved 20 March 2016.
- At least 40 civilians killed in Syrian airstrike near Damascus. Retrieved 2015-12-27.
- Russian warplanes kill four children in Syria's Aleppo. Retrieved 2015-12-19.
- "Syrian president makes rare public appearance in a Damascus church ahead of Christmas". US News. Retrieved 2015-12-19.
- Russian jets kill 16 civilians in Syria's Idlib, Aleppo. Retrieved 2015-12-19.
- "Syria war: Third of rebels share IS aims, report claims". BBC News. Retrieved 20 March 2016.
- Suspected Russian warplanes kill scores in Syrian city: rescue workers. Reuters. Retrieved 2015-12-22.
- Pro-Assad air forces bomb residential district in Damascus, dozens of civilian casualties reported. Retrieved 2015-12-27.
- Syrian rebel group responds to the killing of its leader by bombing regime headquarters in Damascus. Reuters. Retrieved 2015-12-27.
- Bhutia, Jigmey (26 December 2015). "Syria conflict: Essam al-Buwaydhani named leader of rebel group Army of Islam". International Business Times. Archived from the original on 17 January 2016. Retrieved 17 January 2016.
- Hundreds of Syrian rebels join western-backed SDF alliance to combat ISIS. Retrieved 2015-12-27.
- Syrian Democratic Forces seize ISIS major supply line of Raqqa-Aleppo. Retrieved 2015-12-27.
- "Syria war: Zabadani rebels evacuated in besieged villages deal". BBC News. Retrieved 20 March 2016.
- "Besieged Syria rebels evacuated in rare deal" aljazeera.com