Timeline of the Syrian Civil War (September–December 2018)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- The French Foreign Minister, Jean-Yves Le Drian indicated in radio channel that "Assad won the war, we have to state this. But he hasn't won the peace."
- The Netherlands halts funding of the Syrian opposition and police forces, saying the chances of them winning the war are "extremely limited". Dutch support for the White Helmets will also end in December 2018.
- Russia and Turkey announced a demilitarized zone in Syria's Idlib Governorate and ruled out any military operations.
- Several missiles are launched from the sea by Israeli Air Force at the coastal city of Latakia, some of which are destroyed by air defence systems. A Russian Air Force Ilyushin Il-20 reconnaissance plane with 14 servicemen on board crashes over the Mediterranean Sea during the incident. The plane was shot down by Syrian air defense systems trying to target hostile aircraft.
- After being closed for years, the Nasib Border Crossing, the main crossing for Syrian exports to Jordan and the GCC countries, is officially reopened.
- Israeli defense minister Avigdor Lieberman claims Israel will continue conducting strikes into Syria despite the recent arrival of Russia's S-300 anti-missile system.
- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad told a little-known Kuwaiti newspaper Al-Shahed that Syria had reached a "major understanding" with Arab states after years of hostility over the country's civil war.
- The Quneitra border crossing between the Israeli-controlled Golan Heights and Syria reopens for United Nations Disengagement Observer Force (UNDOF) personnel after four years of closure.
- "The Latest: French FM says Syria's Assad has 'won the war'". 2 September 2018.
- "The Netherlands stops supporting Syrian rebels, ahead of Idlib offensive - DutchNews.nl". 10 September 2018.
- "Russia claims there will be no Idlib offensive after agreement with Turkey to create military buffer zone".
- "In rare move, IDF admits Syria strike, expresses sorrow over Russian plane".
- "Syria shot down Russian military reconnaissance plane, admits Kremlin".
- "Syria Reopens Border Crossing with Jordan".
- "Israel will continue strikes in Syria despite S-300 missile system delivery: Minister". 3 October 2018.
- "Syria's Assad Reaches 'Understanding' With Arab States". Voice of America. Associated Press. 3 October 2018. Retrieved 4 October 2018.
- i24NEWS. "Road to recovery: Syria opens two key crossings with Jordan, Israel". i24NEWS. Retrieved 2018-10-15.