Times West Virginian
|Owner(s)||Community Newspaper Holdings Inc.|
|Headquarters||300 Quincy Street
Fairmont, West Virginia 26554
The Times West Virginian is a seven-day morning daily newspaper based in Fairmont, West Virginia, which also covers the city of Bridgeport, West Virginia, and surrounding communities in Marion, Monongalia, Taylor and Harrison counties, West Virginia. The paper was founded as the Fairmont Times and West Virginian through the merging of the long-running Fairmont Times and Fairmont West Virginian in 1975. It adopted its current name in 1976.
The Times West Virginian was named Newspaper of the Year by its parent company in 2006. Judges said it was "packed full of local stories with and about ordinary people," offering a strong sense of community. The Times competed against a host of other papers owned by CNHI.
The Times West Virginian has won back to back West Virginia Press Association "Newspaper of the Year" awards for 2005 and 2006. This award isgiven regardless of circulation size and is determined by the cumulative points earned in both the Ad awards and Editorial awards competition.
Also in 2006, the paper won second place in the general excellence category of the West Virginia Press Association's Better Newspaper's Contest. The paper was beaten by The Inter-Mountain, a daily in Elkins.
In October 2005, the Times West Virginian launched Corridor Magazine, a regional lifestyles magazine focusing on Monongalia, Harrison, Taylor and Marion counties in West Virginia. The magazine was edited by Hope Stephen, also the paper's managing editor. One of its early senior contributing writers, Mary Wade Burnside, later became a full-time staffer at the paper and then was promoted to Corridor's editor in May 2006, after Stephan left the paper.
Corridor is published under the name of Impact Publishing and Marketing.
Noted reporters and contributors
The award was established in 1991 in memory of Adam R. Kelly, who was the owner and editor of the Tyler Star News in Sistersville. Kelly was known nationally for his outstanding service to newspapers.
Mickey has covered the West Virginia University Mountaineer sports teams for decades.
Ruth Ann Musick
Musick wrote a folklore column, "The Old Folks Say".
- CNHI-CAN Circulation, figures for an undetermined date, accessed January 17, 2007.
- Library of Congress "About The Fairmont West Virginian", Retrieved on 12 November 2014.
- Times West Virginian: About Us, accessed January 20, 2007.
- Community Newspaper Holdings, Best of CNHI, accessed May 27, 2007.
- Better Newspaper's Contest, accessed May 27, 2007.
- Corridor Magazine, accessed June 11, 2007.
- Times WV state’s ‘Newspaper of the Year’, accessed May 28, 2007.
- Johnson, Shauna (July 29, 2013). "Mickey Furfari marks 90 years". West Virginia MetroNews. Retrieved February 2, 2016.