|Member of the Iowa House of Representatives|
from the 61st district
Assumed office |
January 12, 2015
|Preceded by||Anesa Kajtazovic|
1967 (age 50–51)|
Beale Air Force Base
Yuba County, California, U.S.
|Alma mater||University of Northern Iowa|
Timi Brown-Powers was born at Beale Air Force Base in California and raised in the Beaverdale neighborhood of Des Moines, Iowa. Her father worked at the Firestone plant while her mother ran a business out of their home and worked for the Des Moines public schools. Her experiences with her grandmother, a paraplegic, led her to volunteer for programs that help students with disabilities. She graduated from Herbert Hoover High School and attended Des Moines Area Community College for a year. She then moved to Waterloo to attend the University of Northern Iowa. Brown-Powers worked as a certified nursing assistant throughout college and earned her BA in therapeutic recreation.
She worked as a therapist for Covenant Medical Center in Waterloo for over 25 years.
Brown-Powers announced her candidacy for Anesa Kajtazovic's seat in the Iowa House of Representatives on March 8, 2014 at the Black Hawk County Democratic Convention. She was endorsed by Americans for Democratic Action. She defeated Brad Condon and Andrew Miller in the Democratic primary.
Brown-Powers earned 59% of the vote in the general election, defeating Republican Nathan Bolton's 40%.
- "Historical Information: House District 61". Iowa Legislature. Archived from the original on March 7, 2016. Retrieved February 23, 2016.
- "Timi Brown-Powers". Iowa Legislature. Retrieved February 23, 2016.
- Rynard, Pat (February 2, 2015). "New Legislator Profile: Timi Brown-Powers". Iowa Starting Line.
- "About Timi". Timi Brown-Powers, Iowa House. Retrieved August 26, 2015.
- Crippes, Christinia (March 11, 2014). "A second Democrat will vie for Kajtazovic's seat". Waterloo-Cedar Falls Courier.
- Crippes, Christinia (May 19, 2014). "Americans for Democratic Action endorses Timi Brown-Powers in House race". Waterloo-Cedar Falls Courier.
- Crippes, Christinia (June 3, 2014). "Brown-Powers ready for general election". Waterloo-Cedar Falls Courier.
- "Results: Iowa House District 61". WCFCourier.com. Retrieved August 26, 2015.
- Profile from the Iowa House of Representatives
- Timi for Iowa campaign website
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
|Iowa House of Representatives|
| 61st District