Timmonsville, South Carolina
|Timmonsville, South Carolina|
Location of Timmonsville in South Carolina
|• Total||2.6 sq mi (6.7 km2)|
|• Land||2.6 sq mi (6.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||144 ft (44 m)|
|• Density||897/sq mi (346.4/km2)|
|Time zone||EST (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1227149|
Timmonsville is a town in Florence County, South Carolina, United States. The population was 2,320 at the 2010 census, an increase of 5 persons from 2000. It is part of the Florence Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Timmonsville is located at (34.135, -79.944).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 2.6 square miles (6.7 km²), all land.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,315 people, 829 households, and 596 families residing in the town. The population density was 896.6 people per square mile (346.4/km²). There were 956 housing units at an average density of 370.2 per square mile (143.1/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 21.94% White, 77.32% Black (U.S. Census), 0.39% Native American, 0.09% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 0.09% from other races, and 0.13% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.82% of the population.
There were 829 households out of which 32.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 35.9% were married couples living together, 31.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 28.0% were non-families. 24.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.76 and the average family size was 3.27.
In the town the population was spread out with 28.3% under the age of 18, 10.5% from 18 to 24, 26.5% from 25 to 44, 21.1% from 45 to 64, and 13.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 34 years. For every 100 females there were 79.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 71.1 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $23,514, and the median income for a family was $29,213. Males had a median income of $23,500 versus $16,588 for females. The per capita income for the town was $11,714. About 25.5% of families and 26.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 34.1% of those under age 18 and 23.1% of those age 65 or over. The town is served by Florence County School District 4 with a school campus containing an elementary, middle, and high school facility.
The Honda Motor Company manufactures all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) and personal watercraft (PWCs) in Timmonsville. Manufactured there are Four Trax Recon, Four Trax Foreman, Four Trax Rancher, Four Trax Rincon, Four Trax Rubicon, Sportrax 400EX/250EX, and AquaTrax F-12/12X.
- Charles Aurelius Smith, 91st Governor of South Carolina
- Cale Yarborough, NASCAR driver
- John Abraham, NFL player
- Melvin Purvis, FBI agent
- Ernest Shahid, businessman and builder
- J. Willard Ragsdale, U.S. Representative from South Carolina
- Johnny D. Boggs, Spur Award-winning writer of westerns
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2010-07-09.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2014". Retrieved June 4, 2015.