Timo Hannay in 2009
Robert Timo Hannay
1968 (age 51–52)
|Spouse(s)||Kyoko Hannay|
|Children||Mia Hannay, Anabel Hannay, Clara Hannay|
|Thesis||Quantal analysis of synaptic plasticity in the rat hippocampus (1994)|
|Doctoral advisor||Alan Larkman|
(Robert) Timo Hannay (born 1968) is the founding Managing Director of School Dash Limited, an education technology company based in London. Prior to SchoolDash, Hannay was the founding managing director of Digital Science in London, United Kingdom where he ran the company from its foundation in 2010 until 2015. Digital Science was founded to provide software and services aimed at scientific researchers and research administrators. Prior to Digital Science, he worked for Nature, which was owned by Macmillan Publishers until the merger of Springer and Macmillan to form Springer Nature in 2015.
Hannay was educated at Imperial College London where he graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree in Biochemistry. He went on to complete a Doctor of Philosophy degree at the University of Oxford which was awarded for his research in neuroplasticity of the hippocampus of laboratory rats from the supervised by Alan Larkman in 1994.
As of 2017[update] Hannay is a non-executive director of SAGE Publications and director of School Dash Limited. He was previously a director of Write Latex Limited (creators of the LaTeX editor overleaf.com) and Symplectic Limited.
Hannay is a recognized expert on online publishing, web-enabled science and social bookmarking. He was the publishing director of Web Publishing at Nature Publishing Group, managing Nature.com, naturejobs.com, natureevents.com, Nature Methods and Nature Protocols. In addition to his work at Nature, he was the co-organiser, with Tim O'Reilly and Chris DiBona of Science Foo Camp.[when?]
Awards and honours
Hannay was awarded the Association of Learned and Professional Society Publishers (ALPSP) award for innovation in publishing in 2005 and a Webby Award in 2008. Hannay was depicted by Jorge Cham in the Piled Higher and Deeper webcomic titled Nature vs Science vs Open Access.
- Anon (2017). "Robert Timo HANNAY". companieshouse.gov.uk. London: Companies House. Archived from the original on 28 November 2017.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 3 October 2009. Retrieved 4 October 2009.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link) 13th Annual Webby Awards Nominees and Winners
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 26 September 2010. Retrieved 11 October 2010.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link) 12th Annual Webby Awards Nominees and Winners
- "ALPSP awards 2005". alpsp.org. Archived from the original on 17 January 2010.
- Page, Benedicte (2016). "Timo Hannay joins SAGE board". thebookseller.com. The Bookseller.
- Hannay, Robert Timo (1994). Quantal analysis of synaptic plasticity in the rat hippocampus (1994). ora.ox.ac.uk (DPhil thesis). University of Oxford. EThOS uk.bl.ethos.358564.
- timohannay on Twitter
- Anon (2017). "School Dash". schooldash.com.
- Coughlan, Sean (2015). "North-south divide mapped in GCSE results". bbc.co.uk. London: BBC.
- Hannay, Timo (2015). "Progress Is Impossible Without Change". digital-science.com.
- "About Digital Science". digital-science.com/about. Archived from the original on 23 March 2011.
- Hannay, T. (2011). "A new kind of science?". Nature Physics. 7 (10): 742. Bibcode:2011NatPh...7..742H. doi:10.1038/nphys2109.
- Hannay, Timo (2009). "Walls come tumbling down". Learned Publishing. 22 (2): 153–154. doi:10.1087/2009210.
- Timo Hannay publications indexed by the Scopus bibliographic database. (subscription required)
- Timo Hannay at DBLP Bibliography Server
- "SPRINGER NATURE created following merger completion". springer.com. Springer Nature.
- "biographies". GreenLearn. Archived from the original on 5 July 2008. Retrieved 19 September 2009.
- MacDonald, Matthew (2008). Your brain: the missing manual. O'Reilly Media. ISBN 0-596-51778-5.
- Larkman, A.; Hannay, T.; Stratford, K.; Jack, J. (1992). "Presynaptic release probability influences the locus of long-term potentiation". Nature. 360 (6399): 70–73. Bibcode:1992Natur.360...70L. doi:10.1038/360070a0. PMID 1331808.
- Hannay, T.; Larkman, A.; Stratford, K.; Jack, J. (1993). "A common rule governs the synaptic locus of both short-term and long-term potentiation". Current Biology. 3 (12): 832–841. doi:10.1016/0960-9822(93)90217-C. PMID 15335816.
- Hannay, Timo (1995). "Tokyo HIV-contaminated blood product hearing". Nature Medicine. 1 (5): 396. doi:10.1038/nm0595-396a. PMID 7585076.
- Li, J.; Ning, Y.; Hedley, W.; Saunders, B.; Chen, Y.; Tindill, N.; Hannay, T.; Subramaniam, S. (2002). "The Molecule Pages database". Nature. 420 (6916): 716–717. Bibcode:2002Natur.420..716L. doi:10.1038/nature01307. PMID 12478304.
- Schaefer, C. F.; Anthony, K.; Krupa, S.; Buchoff, J.; Day, M.; Hannay, T.; Buetow, K. H. (2009). "PID: The Pathway Interaction Database". Nucleic Acids Research. 37 (Database issue): D674–D679. doi:10.1093/nar/gkn653. PMC 2686461. PMID 18832364.
- "Timo Profile". Connotea. Archived from the original on 20 November 2009. Retrieved 19 September 2009.
- Hammond, T.; Hannay, T.; Lund, B. (2004). "The Role of RSS in Science Publishing". D-Lib Magazine. 10 (12). doi:10.1045/december2004-hammond.
- Hammond, T.; Hannay, T.; Lund, B.; Scott, J. (2005). "Social Bookmarking Tools (I)". D-Lib Magazine. 11 (4). doi:10.1045/april2005-hammond.
- Lund, B.; Hammond, T.; Flack, M.; Hannay, T. (2005). "Social Bookmarking Tools (II)". D-Lib Magazine. 11 (4). doi:10.1045/april2005-lund.
- Corbyn, Zoe (6 March 2008). "Read it, like it, list it, share it". timeshighereducation.com. Times Higher Education. Retrieved 23 September 2009.
- "Networking Nature". spiegel.de. Der Spiegel. 8 May 2007. Retrieved 20 September 2009.
- Waldrop, Mitchell M. (May 2008). "Science 2.0". Scientific American: 73. Retrieved 20 September 2009.
Timo Hannay, head of Web publishing at the Nature Publishing Group in London… Meanwhile Hannay has been taking the Nature group into the Web 2.0 world aggressively.
- "Social Bookmarking: Mark It, Manage It, Share It". American Counsel on Education. Retrieved 20 September 2009.
- "Timo Hannay Profile". Nature Network. Archived from the original on 13 September 2009. Retrieved 19 September 2009.
- Cham, Jorge (2010). "Nature vs Science vs Open Access, part 4". PhDcomics.com. Piled Higher and Deeper.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Timo Hannay.|