Timo Honkela, PhD (born August 4, 1962), is Chief Research Scientist at the Department of Information and Computer Science at Aalto University School of Science. He is the head of the Computational Cognitive Systems research group of the Adaptive Informatics Research Centre. In 2013 he was appointed professor of research in digital resources at the University of Helsinki
Timo Honkela has conducted research on several areas related to knowledge engineering, cognitive modeling and natural language processing. This includes a central role in the development of the Websom method for visual information retrieval and text mining based on the Kohonen self-organizing map algorithm. Honkela collaborated with George Legrady to produce Pockets Full of Memories, an interactive museum installation. The concept was created by Legrady. Honkela is a former long-term chairman of the Finnish Artificial Intelligence Society.
Honkela is currently the chair of the IFIP working group on knowledge representation and reasoning (WG 12.1) and Finland's representative in TC12 on artificial intelligence. In this position, he has organized AKRR'05 and AKRR'08, the international and interdisciplinary conference on adaptive knowledge representation and reasoning. He is also a member of the Executive Committee of the European Neural Networks Society.
Honkela has given a large number of keynote, invited and regular talks in international conferences including
- International Conference on Agents and Artificial Intelligence, Porto, Portugal, January 2009 (keynote talk)
- International Association for Pattern Recognition (IAPR) Workshop on Cognitive Information Processing, Santorini, Greece, June 2008 (keynote talk)
- IGERT Seminar Series, University of California Santa Barbara, USA, December 2006 (invited talk)
- International Conference on Fundamentals of Data Organization, FODO'98, Kobe, Japan, November 1998 (keynote talk)
- Timo Honkela, Wlodzislaw Duch, Mark Girolami and Samuel Kaski (editors): Artificial Neural Networks and Machine Learning, Springer, 2011.
- Jorma Laaksonen and Timo Honkela (editors): Advances in Self-Organizing Maps, Springer, 2011.
- Aalto University School of Science: Timo Honkela
- Suomen professorit - Finlands professorer, editor Veli-Matti Autio, Gummerus Kirjapaino Oy, Jyväskylä, 2000.
- Suomen Professorit – Finlands Professorer 1640- 2007, editor Leena Ellonen, Suomen professoriliitto, Helsinki, 2008.
-  Timo Honkela digitaalisten aineistojen professoriksi, University of Helsinki, Department of Humanities, 2013
- Publications at DBLP Bibliography Server
- Visual Browsing in Web and non-Web Databases
- Pockets Full of Memories: an interactive museum installation, Visual Communication, 1(2): 163-169 (2002)
- Scandinavian artificial intelligence societies in 1999
- IFIP TC12 Artificial Intelligence
- IFIP TC12 members
- AKRR 2005 Committees
- Executive committee members of European Neural Network Society
- Keynote talks in ICAART 2009
- Keynote spakers in CIP 2008
- IGERT Seminars and Events, University of California Santa Barbara, Fall 2006
- http://www.springerlink.com/content/978-3-642-21734-0/#section=904599&page=1 Artificial Neural Networks and Machine Learning
- http://www.springerlink.com/content/978-3-642-21565-0/#section=904686&page=1 Advances in Self-Organizing Maps