Timo Honkela (born August 4, 1962) is a computer scientist and a professor at the University of Helsinki. Before joining the University of Helsinki he has worked as a professor in two Schools of the Aalto University, The School of Art, Design and Architecture and the School of Science.
Timo Honkela has conducted research on several areas related to knowledge engineering, cognitive modeling and natural language processing. This includes a central role in the development of the Websom method for visual information retrieval and text mining based on the Kohonen self-organizing map algorithm.
In 2001 Honkela collaborated with George Legrady to produce an interactive museum installation, Pockets Full of Memories to the Centre Georges Pompidou, National Museum of Modern Art in Paris. The concept, created by Legrady, provided for visitors a possibility to scan their own objects to a database and then organise them by Kohonen Self-Organizing Map algorithm.
In 2017 Honkela published a book in Finnish. The book titles as Rauhankone (in English Peace Machine) presents his idea of designing artificial intelligence and machine learning to serve humanity, in practice to help people to live in peace with each other.
Honkela is a former long-term chairman of the Finnish Artificial Intelligence Society. Currently Honkela is Finland's representative in TC12 on artificial intelligence. In this position, he has organized AKRR'05 and AKRR'08, the international and interdisciplinary conference on adaptive knowledge representation and reasoning. He is also a member of the Executive Committee of the European Neural Networks Society.
Honkela has given a large number of keynote, invited and regular talks in international conferences.
- Timo Honkela, Wlodzislaw Duch, Mark Girolami and Samuel Kaski (editors): Artificial Neural Networks and Machine Learning, Springer, 2011.
- Jorma Laaksonen and Timo Honkela (editors): Advances in Self-Organizing Maps, Springer, 2011.
- Timo Honkela: Rauhankone. Gaudeamus, 2017.
- Suomen professorit - Finlands professorer, editor Veli-Matti Autio, Gummerus Kirjapaino Oy, Jyväskylä, 2000.
- Suomen Professorit – Finlands Professorer 1640- 2007, editor Leena Ellonen, Suomen professoriliitto, Helsinki, 2008.
-  Timo Honkela digitaalisten aineistojen professoriksi, University of Helsinki, Department of Humanities, 2013
- Publications at DBLP Bibliography Server
- "Visual Browsing in Web and non-Web Databases". www.public.iastate.edu. Retrieved 2017-11-16.
- "Timo Honkela: Rauhankone | Gaudeamus". Gaudeamus (in Finnish). 2017-10-25. Retrieved 2017-12-28.
- Scandinavian artificial intelligence societies in 1999
- IFIP TC12 Artificial Intelligence
- IFIP TC12 members[permanent dead link]
- "AKRR'05, International and Interdisciplinary Conference on Adaptive Knowledge Representation and Reasoning". www.cis.hut.fi. Retrieved 2017-11-16.
- Executive committee members of European Neural Network Society
- Artificial Neural Networks and Machine Learning – ICANN 2011. doi:10.1007/978-3-642-21735-7. ISBN 978-3-642-21735-7.
- Advances in Self-Organizing Maps. doi:10.1007/978-3-642-21566-7. ISBN 978-3-642-21566-7.