|Word/name||Greek name Τιμόθεος|
|Meaning||"Honouring God" or "Honoured by God"|
|Nickname(s)||Timmy, Timo, Timbo|
|Related names||Tim, Timo, Timofei, Tymish, Timotej, Timotey, Timoteo, Timotheus, Tymoteusz, Timothée|
Timothy is a masculine name. It is a version of the Greek name Τιμόθεος (Timόtheos) meaning "one who honours God", from τιμή "honour" and θεός "god". Timothy (and its variations) is a common name in several countries.
In the United States, the name was most popular in the 1960s, ranking 13th among all boy's names. Popularity for the name has since declined, with its latest rating of 110th in 2009. The name has been used for girls, having a peak in 1968, ranking 908 in the United States, and has declined since, making it a very rare name for girls.
People named Timothy
- Timothy of Ammon (2nd century BC), Ammonite general
- Saint Timothy, 1st-century Christian bishop whose name is associated with two books of the New Testament
- Timothy (d. 178), companion of Symphorian, Christian martyr
- Timothy of Constantinople (7th century), Christian priest and writer
- Timothy, Bishop of Zagreb (d. 1287)
- Timothy of Faras (fl. 1372), Nubian bishop
- Timothy Drew (Prophet Noble Drew Ali), founder of the Moorish Science Temple of America
- Timothy Kwok, Hong Kong-born Anglican bishop
Patriarchs of Constantinople
Patriarchs of Alexandria
- Timothy I of Alexandria, 4th-century bishop
- Timothy II of Alexandria, also known as Timotheus Aelurus, 5th-century monophysite bishop
- Timothy Salophakiolos, known as Timothy III, the Greek Orthodox patriarch of Alexandria from 460—475 and again from 477 until his death in 485
- Timothy IV of Alexandria, a bishop in the 6th century. Also known as Timothy III, since the Coptic Church does not recognize the third Timothy
Patriarchs of Seleucia-Ctesiphon
- Timothy I of Seleucia-Ctesiphon, patriarch of the Church of the East, 780–823
- Timothy II of Seleucia-Ctesiphon, patriarch of the Church of the East, 1318–c.1332
- Timothy Cheruiyot, Kenyan middle-distance runner specialising in the 1500 metres
- Timothy Disken, Australian paralympic swimmer
- Timothy Fok, President of the Hong Kong Football Association
- Timothy Goebel, American figure skater
- Timothy Henry Henman, British professional tennis player
- Timothy Hodge, Australian Paralympic swimmer
- Timothy LeDuc, American pair skater
- Timothy Liljegren (born 1999), Swedish ice hockey defenceman
- Timothy Lowndes, Australian sport shooter
- Timothy Maloney, Australian wheelchair basketball player
- Timothy Masters (rower), Australian rower
- Timothy McIsaac, Canadian Paralympic swimmer
- Timothy McKernan, American figure skater
- Timothy Peters, NASCAR driver
- Timothy Phllips, known as Tim Phillips, American competition swimmer
- Timothy Seaman, American race walker
- Timothy Soares (born 1997), American-Brazilian basketball player for Ironi Ness Ziona of the Israeli Basketball Premier League
- Timothy Adams, American actor and model
- Timothy Bottoms, American actor
- Timothy Busfield, American actor
- Timothy Carlton, English actor
- Timothy Dalton, Welsh-born English actor
- Timothy Fadek, American photographer
- Timothy Granaderos (born 1986), American actor and model
- Timothy Hutton, American actor
- Timothy Leary, American writer, psychologist, psychedelic drug advocate
- Timothy Z. Mosley (Timbaland), record producer and rapper
- Timothy Patrick Murphy, American actor
- Timothy V. Murphy, Irish actor
- Timothy Olyphant, American actor
- Timothy Omundson, American actor
- Timothy J. Rice-Oxley, songwriter and keyboard player in British band Keane
- Timothy B. Schmit American musician
- Timothy Smith, Australian DJ and electronic music producer known as Timmy Trumpet
- Timothy Spall, English actor
- Timothy Tau, Taiwanese American actor
- Timothy Van Laar, American artist, writer, and professor
- Timothy James Webb, Australian artist
- Timothy Wilcots, American drag performer also known as Latrice Royale
- Timothy Groseclose, American political scientist and economist.
- Timothy Pickering, politician from Massachusetts who served as the third United States Secretary of State
- Timothy Quill, Irish politician
- Timothy Pilgrim, Australian Privacy Commissioner and Australian Information Commissioner
- Timothy J. Broderick, American physician and university professor
- Timothy Ray Brown, the Berlin Patient, the first person in the world to be cured of HIV
- Timothy Creamer, American astronaut
- Timothy J. Cunningham (1982–2018), formerly missing person
- Timothy Egan, American journalist
- Timothy Ha, former Supervisor and Principal of St. Paul's College, Hong Kong and Education Secretary of the Hong Kong Sheng Kung Hui
- Timothy Kopra, American astronaut
- Timothy McVeigh, the terrorist convicted of the Oklahoma City bombing
- Timothy Mo, British Asian novelist
- Timothy Peake, British test pilot and astronaut
- Timothy Snyder, American author and historian
- Timothy Tong, former commissioner for the Independent Commission Against Corruption of Hong Kong
- Timothy Treadwell, grizzly bear enthusiast
- Tiff Needell, also known as Timothy Tiff Needell, a UK television presenter
- Timothy Wong Man-kong, historian from Hong Kong
- Timothy Claypole, a character from Rentaghost
- Reverend Timothy Lovejoy, a character from The Simpsons.
- Timothy McGee, a character from NCIS
- Timothy Q. Mouse, a character from the 1941 Disney film Dumbo.
- Timothy Twostroke, a character in the Pixar film Cars
- Timothy Wright, a character in the alternate reality game Marble Hornets
- Timothy "Tiny Tim" Cratchit, a character from the 1843 novella A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
- Timothy Pilgrim, the titular character from the 1975 TVOntario series The Adventures of Timothy Pilgrim
- Christopher Timothy (born 1940), Welsh actor.
- Miriam Timothy (1879–1950), British harpist.
- Nick Timothy (born 1980), British political adviser.
- "Timothy." Nelson's Student Bible Dictionary. Nashville: Thomas Nelson, Inc. 2005.
- Harper, Douglas. "Timothy". Online Etymology Dictionary.
- τιμή, θεός. Liddell, Henry George; Scott, Robert; A Greek–English Lexicon at the Perseus Project.
- BabyNameFacts.com - popularity of the name Timothy
- BabyNameScience.com - Timothy (Girl) The use of Timothy in baby girls.