Timothy (given name)
|Word/name||Greek name Τιμόθεος|
|Meaning||"Honouring God" or "Honoured by God"|
|Nickname(s)||Timmy, Timo, Timbo|
|Related names||Tim, Timo, Timofei, Tymish, Timotey, Timoteo, Timotheus, Tymoteusz, Timothée|
In the United States, the name was most popular in the 1960s, ranking 13th among all boy's names. Popularity for the name has since declined, with its latest rating of 110th in 2009. The name has been used for girls, having a peak in 1968, ranking 908 in the United States, and has declined since, making it a very rare name for girls.
People named Timothy
- Saint Timothy, first-century Christian bishop whose name is associated with two books of the New Testament
- Timotheus, Christian martyr
- Patriarch Timothy I of Constantinople (d. 523)
- Pope Timothy I of Alexandria, 4th century bishop
- Pope Timothy II of Alexandria, also known as Timotheus Aelurus, 5th century AD monophysite bishop
- Timothy Salophakiolos, known as Timotheus III, the Greek Orthodox patriarch of Alexandria from 460—475 and again from 477 until his death in 485.
- Timothy IV of Alexandria, a bishop in the 6th century. Also known as Timothy III, since the Coptic Church does not recognize the third Timothy.
- Timothy, Bishop of Zagreb (died 1287)
- Timothy Drew, (Prophet Noble Drew Ali) founder of the Moorish Science Temple of America.
- Timothy Goebel, American figure skater
- Timothy McKernan, American figure skater
- Timothy Peters, NASCAR driver
- Timothy Seaman, American race walker
- Timothy Adams, American actor and model
- Timothy Bottoms, American actor
- Timothy Busfield, American actor
- Timothy Carlton, English actor
- Timothy Dalton, Welsh-born English actor
- Timothy Fadek, American photographer
- Timothy Granaderos (born 1986), American actor and model
- Timothy Hutton, American actor
- Timothy Leary, American writer, psychologist, psychedelic drug advocate
- Timothy Z. Mosley (Timbaland), record producer and rapper
- Timothy Patrick Murphy, American actor
- Timothy V. Murphy, Irish actor
- Timothy Olyphant, American actor
- Timothy Omundson, American actor
- Timothy J. Rice-Oxley, songwriter and keyboard player in British band Keane
- Timothy B. Schmit American musician
- Timothy Smith, Australian DJ and electronic music producer known as Timmy Trumpet
- Timothy Spall, English actor
- Timothy Tau, Taiwanese American actor
- Timothy Van Laar, American artist, writer, and professor
- Timothy James Webb, Australian artist
- Timothy Wilcots, American drag performer who performs under the name Latrice Royale
- Timothy Groseclose, American political scientist and economist.
- Timothy Pickering, politician from Massachusetts who served as the third United States Secretary of State
- Timothy Quill, Irish politician
- Timothy Pilgrim, Australian Privacy Commissioner and Australian Information Commissioner
- Timothy J. Broderick, American physician and university professor
- Timothy Ray Brown, the Berlin Patient, the first person in the world to be cured of HIV.
- Timothy Creamer, American astronaut
- Timothy J. Cunningham (1982–2018), Formerly missing person
- Timothy Egan, American journalist
- Timothy Kopra, American astronaut
- Timothy McVeigh, the terrorist convicted of the Oklahoma City bombing
- Timothy Peake, British test pilot and astronaut
- Timothy Snyder, American author and historian
- Timothy Treadwell, grizzly bear enthusiast
- Tiff Needell, also known as Timothy Tiff Needell, a UK television presenter
- Timothy Claypole, a character from Rentaghost a British children's television comedy show.
- Timothy Lovejoy, a fictional character from The Simpsons.
- Timothy McGee, a fictional character from the NCIS TV Series.
- Timothy Q. Mouse, a character from the 1941 Disney film Dumbo.
- Timothy Twostroke, a character in the movie Cars.
- Timothy Wright, an important character in the alternate reality game, Marble Hornets.
- Timothy "Tiny Tim" Cratchit, a character from the 1843 novella A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens.
- Timothy Pilgrim, titular character from the 1975 TVOntario series The Adventures of Timothy Pilgrim.
- Christopher Timothy (born 1940), Welsh actor.
- Miriam Timothy (1879–1950), British harpist.
- Nick Timothy (born 1980), British political adviser.
- "Timothy." Nelson's Student Bible Dictionary. Nashville: Thomas Nelson, Inc. 2005.
- BabyNameFacts.com - popularity of the name Timothy
- BabyNameScience.com - Timothy (Girl) The use of Timothy in baby girls.