|Born||Timothy Carlton Congdon Cumberbatch
4 October 1939
Reading, Berkshire, England, UK
|Spouse(s)||Wanda Ventham (m. 1976)|
|Family||Henry Carlton Cumberbatch (father)
Henry Arnold Cumberbatch CMG (grandfather)
Sophie Hunter (daughter-in-law)
Carlton was born in Reading, Berkshire, England, the son of Pauline Ellen Laing (née Congdon), who died on 11 October 2007, and Henry Carlton Cumberbatch, a decorated submarine officer of both World Wars and a prominent figure of London high society. His grandfather, Henry Arnold Cumberbatch CMG, was the Consul General of Queen Victoria in Turkey.
He has had a long and distinguished career in both the theatre (Her Royal Highness etc.) and in television, appearing in numerous BBC television series over the years since 1966 to the present day, including the sitcoms Executive Stress, Next of Kin and in the television film The Scarlet Pimpernel. His film career has included roles in Baby Love (1968), The Breaking of Bumbo (1970), That Lucky Touch (1975), High Road to China (1983) and Parting Shots (1999). He is currently with the theatrical agency Susan Angel and Kevin Francis Ltd. in London.
He is married to actress Wanda Ventham, whom he met in 1970 while filming sequences for the drama series A Family At War and they have been married since April 1976. They appeared together in Series 2 of BBC drama The Lotus Eaters in 1973 and Series 3 of BBC series Sherlock in 2014 as the parents of the title character, played by their son, actor Benedict Cumberbatch.
- Timothy Carlton birth name, thegazette.co.uk; accessed 2 October 2014.
- Cumberbatch, Robert (13 December 2007). "Commander Henry Carlton Cumberbatch". Cumberbatch Family History, Cumberbatch Genealogy and Cumberbatch Ancestry. Cumberbatch family history site. Archived from the original on October 17, 2013. Retrieved 2 January 2014.
- Spotlight: largest database of actors in the UK since 1927.
- Passingham, Kenneth (22 March 1975). "It's good news to know I'm still fanciable". TV Times: 21–22.
- Ancestry.com. England & Wales, Marriage Index: 1916-2005 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2008. Original data: General Register Office. England and Wales Civil Registration Indexes. London, England: General Register Office.
- "Sherlock: Benedict Cumberbatch 'so proud' of parents". The Telegraph. 2 Jan 2014.
|This biographical article related to English television people is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a United Kingdom film and television actor or actress is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|