Timothy Jervis Gorringe
1946 (age 73–74)
|Other names||Tim Gorringe|
|Children||Magdalen Tamsin, Hugo Oliver|
|Church||Church of England|
|School or tradition||Christian socialism|
Born in 1946, Timothy Gorringe was educated at St Edmund Hall, Oxford (BA 1969, MPhil 1975), and Sarum Theological College (1969–1972). He was ordained deacon in 1972 and priest in 1973 and served as Assistant Curate at Chapel Allerton (1972–1975) and Oxford St Mary the Virgin with St Cross and St Peter (1976–1978). From 1979 until 1986, he taught theology at Tamil Nadu Theological Seminary. He was Official Fellow, Chaplain, and Tutor in Theology at St John's College, Oxford, 1986–1995, Reader in Contextual Theology in the University of St Andrews 1995–1998, and became St Luke's Professor of Theological Studies in the University of Exeter in 1998.
His academic interests focus on the interrelations of theology, culture, art, social science, criminal justice, economics, and politics, as well as the theology of Karl Barth. He is a member of the Iona Community.
Gorringe has published many books:
- Redeeming Time: Atonement Through Education (Darton Longman Todd, 1986)
- Discerning Spirit: A Theology of Revelation (SCM, 1990)
- God's Theatre: A Theology of Providence (SCM, 1991)
- Capital and the Kingdom: Theological Ethics and Economic Order (Orbis Books, 1994)
- Alan Ecclestone: Priest as Revolutionary (Cairns, 1994)
- God's Just Vengeance: Crime, Violence and the Rhetoric of Salvation (CUP, 1996)
- The Sign of Love: Reflections on the Eucharist (SPCK 1997)
- Karl Barth: Against Hegemony (OUP, 1999)
- Fair Shares: Ethics and the Global Economy (Thames & Hudson, 1999)
- Salvation (Epworth, 2000)
- The Education of Desire: Towards a Theology of the Senses (SCM, 2001)
- A Theology of the Built Environment: Justice, Empowerment, Redemption (CUP, 2002)
- Furthering Humanity: A Theology of Culture (Ashgate, 2004) (shortlisted for the Michael Ramsey Prize 2005)
- Crime (SCM, 2004)
- Harvest: Food, Farming and the Churches (SPCK, 2006)
- The Common Good and the Global Emergency: God and the Built Environment (CUP, 2011)
- Earthly Visions: Theology and the Challenges of Art (Yale, 2011)
- Gorringe, Tim (30 August 2013). "Interview: Tim Gorringe Professor of Theology and Religion, Exeter University". Church Times. Interviewed by MacMath, Terence Handley. London. Retrieved 1 March 2016.
- Wells, Samuel, ed. (2010). Christian Ethics: An Introductory Reader. Chichester, England: Wiley-Blackwell. p. 196. ISBN 978-1-4051-6886-1.
- Crossley, James G. (2014). Harnessing Chaos: The Bible in English Political Discourse Since 1968. London: Bloomsbury T&T Clark. p. 53. doi:10.5040/9780567659347. ISBN 978-0-567-65551-6.
- Lynch, Danielle Anne (2018). God in Sound and Silence: Music as Theology. Eugene, Oregon: Pickwick Publications. ISBN 978-1-5326-4151-0.
- "Professor Tim Gorringe". Exeter, England: University of Exeter. Retrieved 5 February 2019.
- Public theology for the 21st century: essays, Duncan B. Forrester, William Storrar, 2004, p.16, Google Books link: GoogleB-wIC.
- "Books by Timothy Gorringe". UK: Amazon.co.uk. Retrieved 1 March 2016.