Lord Justice Holroyde
|Lord Justice of Appeal|
|Assumed office |
|High Court Judge|
Queen's Bench Division
Timothy Victor Holroyde
18 August 1955
|Alma mater||Wadham College, Oxford|
Sir Timothy Victor Holroyde, PC (born 18 August 1955), styled The Rt. Hon. Lord Justice Holroyde, is an English Court of Appeal judge, formerly a judge of the High Court of Justice of England and Wales, Queen's Bench Division. He was appointed to the Court of Appeal in October 2017. He was sworn of the Privy Council in 2017. In 2015 he was appointed a member of the Sentencing Council for England and Wales, and served as its Chairman between 2018 and 2022. In June 2022 he was appointed Vice-President of the Court of Appeal (Criminal Division), succeeding Lord Justice Fulford.
Tim Holroyde was educated at Bristol Grammar School and Wadham College, Oxford, and was called to the bar in 1977. As a barrister, he practised from Exchange Chambers, Liverpool. He was appointed Queen's Counsel in 1996, and was appointed to the High Court in January 2009. From 2012 he was a Presiding Judge of the Northern Circuit.
In 2012 Holroyde presided over the seven-month trial of Asil Nadir on fraud charges. Other cases included the trial of Anjem Choudary in 2016 for terrorist-related offences, and that of Dale Cregan in 2013 for crimes including the murders of PC Fiona Bone and PC Nicola Hughes. In 2021, he presided over the British Post Office scandal case in the Court of Appeal, in which the convictions of 39 sub-postmasters for theft, false accounting and/or fraud were quashed.
- "Biographies of the 7 newly appointed Court of Appeal Judges". Courts and Tribunals Judiciary. Retrieved 4 December 2017.
- "Senior judiciary". Courts and Tribunals Judiciary. Retrieved 4 December 2017.
- >"Sentencing Council members". Sentencing Council. Retrieved 3 November 2022.
- "Announcement: Vice-President of the Court of Appeal (Criminal Division)". Judiciary of England & Wales. 3 May 2022.
- "Tim Holroyde QC Receives Knighthood". Exchange Chambers. Retrieved 21 February 2013.
- "New Presiding Judges appointed". Judiciary of England & Wales. 21 June 2011.
- "The Hon Mr Justice Holroyde". Debretts.com. Retrieved 21 February 2013.
- "Court hears of cockling dangers". BBC. 19 September 2005.
- "Asil Nadir jailed for 10 years for Polly Peck thefts". BBC. 23 August 2012.
- "R -v- Asil Nadir: Sentencing Remarks of The Hon Mr Justice Holroyde". Judiciary of England & Wales. 23 August 2012.
- "New Chairman for the Sentencing Council: appointment of Lord Justice Holroyde". Sentencing Council. Retrieved 3 November 2022.
- Hamilton & Ors v Post Office Ltd  EWCA Crim 577 (23 April 2021), Court of Appeal (England and Wales)
- "Convicted Post Office workers have names cleared". BBC News. 23 April 2021. Retrieved 3 November 2022.