Timothy Lee Barnwell
|Timothy Lee Barnwell|
Tim Barnwell with 4x5 view camera in the field.
February 17, 1955 |
Franklin NC, United States
|Residence||Asheville, North Carolina, United States|
|Fields||Documentary photography, Fine-art photography, Commercial photography|
|Alma mater||University of North Carolina at Asheville (AB)|
|Influences||Walker Evans, Ansel Adams, Arnold Newman, George Tice|
Timothy Lee Barnwell (born February 17, 1955) is an American author, commercial photographer, and fine art photographer based in Asheville, NC. He has worked as a photojournalist and had images published in numerous publications including Time, Newsweek, Mother Jones, Billboard, LensWork, National Parks, American Craft, Astronomy, Outdoor Photographer, and B&W magazine.In 1980 he founded Appalachian Photographic Workshops and served as Director and photography instructor until in closed in 1988. He is the author of four books, The Face of Appalachia: Portraits from the Mountain Farm (W.W. Norton/NY, 2003); On Earth's Furrowed Brow: The Appalachian Farm in Photographs (W.W. Norton/NY, 2007); Hands in Harmony: Traditional Crafts and Music in Appalachia (W.W. Norton/NY, 2009); and Blue Ridge Parkway Vistas: A Comprehensive Identification Guide to What You See From the Many Overlooks (Numinous Editions,2014).
- The Face of Appalachia: Portraits from the Mountain Farm (2003)
- On Earth's Furrowed Brow: The Appalachian Farm in Photographs (2007)
- Hands in Harmony: Portraits from the Mountain Farm (2009)
Barnwell's photography has been included in over 65 exhibits since 1977, including three one-man shows in New York City's SOHO Photo Gallery. His work is included in the permanent collections of numerous museums such as the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Asheville Art Museum, the Newark Museum of Art, the New Orleans Museum of Art, and the High Museum.
- The Village Voice(Print), Feb. 21, 1984,
- MacNeille, Suzanne. "BOOKS IN BRIEF: NONFICTION; An Eye on Appalachia". NYT. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- Walpole, Peter (July 1, 2004). "The Face of Appalachia: Portraits from the Mountain Farm (review)". The Virginia Quarterly Review. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "Hands in Harmony: Traditional Crafts and Music in Appalachia by Tim Barnwell". Our State. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "HANDS IN HARMONY: TRADITIONAL CRAFTS AND MUSIC IN APPALACHIA (review)". Bluegrass Music Magazine. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- ""Dinosaur", Port Clyde, Maine Tim Barnwell (American, born 1955)". Metropolitan Museum of Art. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "Tim Barnwell". Ashville Art Museum. Retrieved 26 January 2014.