Timothy M. Cain
Timothy Martin Cain
|Judge of the United States District Court for the District of South Carolina|
|Assumed office |
September 26, 2011
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||Patrick Michael Duffy|
Timothy Martin Cain
January 19, 1961
Seneca, South Carolina
University of South Carolina (B.S.)
University of South Carolina School of Law (J.D.)
Timothy Martin Cain (born January 19, 1961) is a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the District of South Carolina. He was formerly a South Carolina state judge and a law associate of Senator Lindsey Graham.
Early life and education
Born in Seneca, South Carolina, Cain attended Anderson College in 1979 and 1980 and earned a Bachelor of Science degree in 1983 from University of South Carolina. He then earned a Juris Doctor in 1986 from University of South Carolina School of Law.
After graduating from law school, Cain worked in private legal practice in Walhalla, South Carolina from 1986 until 1988 (including a stint in 1987 as a public defender in Seneca, South Carolina), and then as an assistant county solicitor in Seneca from 1988 until 1989. He then worked as an associate for a Seneca law firm from 1990 until 1991. Cain then worked as a partner in differently comprised firms in Seneca from 1991 until 1993, 1993 until 1996. 1996 until 1998 and 1998 until 2000. During Cain's time in private practice, he worked alongside future United States Senator Lindsey Graham for about three years. Cain also served as county attorney for Oconee County, South Carolina from 1992 until 2000. In 2000, Cain became a family court judge in Columbia, South Carolina.
Federal judicial service
On February 16, 2011, President Obama nominated Cain to a seat on the United States District Court for the District of South Carolina that had been vacated by the decision of Judge Patrick Michael Duffy to take senior status in 2009. The Senate confirmed Cain on September 20, 2011 in a 99–0 vote. He received his commission on September 26, 2011.
- The White House: Office of the Press Secretary (February 16, 2011). "President Obama Names Two to the United States District Court, 2/16/2011". whitehouse.gov. Retrieved March 27, 2011.
- "Cain, Timothy Martin – Federal Judicial Center". www.fjc.gov.
- Chandler, Ray (August 28, 2010). "Graham to push federal judgeship for Oconee family court judge Tim Cain". The Anderson Independent-Mail. Retrieved March 27, 2011.
- The White House: Office of the Press Secretary (February 16, 2011). "Presidential Nominations Sent to the Senate, 2/16/2011". whitehouse.gov. Retrieved March 27, 2011.
- Timothy M. Cain at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
- Timothy M. Cain at Ballotpedia
Patrick Michael Duffy
| Judge of the United States District Court for the District of South Carolina