Sir Timothy Shelley, 2nd Baronet of Castle Goring (7 September 1753 – 24 April 1844) was the son of Sir Bysshe Shelley, 1st Baronet of Castle Goring and the father of Romantic poet and dramatist Percy Bysshe Shelley.
Early life and education
Shelley was born to Sir Bysshe Shelley and Mary Catherine Michell, Lady Shelley (b. 1734 in Sussex, England), the daughter of Theobald and Mary (nee Tredcroft) Michell. He studied at University College, Oxford, and was awarded his bachelor's in 1778; his master's following in 1781. He then studied law at Lincoln's Inn.
Shelley was elected as a member of parliament (MP) for Horsham, Sussex at the 1790 general election, but an election petition was lodged and the result was overturned on 19 March 1792. He was elected as MP for New Shoreham at the 1802 general election. Shelly was re-elected for Shoreham in 1806, 1807, and 1812, and held the seat until he stood down at the 1818 general election.
He associated with the Duke of Norfolk during his time in the British political sphere.
Shelley married Elizabeth Pilfold in October 1791 and they moved to Field Place in Warnham, approximately 40 miles outside London. The couple had six children:
- Percy Bysshe (1792–1822), English Romantic poet
- Elizabeth (1794–1831)
- Mary (1797–1884)
- Hellen (1799–1885)
- Margaret (1801–1887)
- John (1806–1866)
All of Shelley's daughters remained unmarried.
|Sir Timothy Shelley, 2nd Baronet of Castle Goring|
- Mr Timothy Shelley (1753–1790)
- Mr Timothy Shelley MP (1790–1815)
- Sir Timothy Shelley (1815–1844)
Shelley inherited the baronetcy in 1815, becoming the 2nd Baronet Shelley, of Castle Goring, Sussex.
- Baptism Record of Katherine Michell. Ancestry.com. England, Select Births and Christenings, 1538–1975 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2014. Original data: England, Births and Christenings, 1538–1975. Salt Lake City, Utah: FamilySearch, 2013. Paid subscription site. Retrieved May 2017.
- "Alumni oxonienses: the members of the University of Oxford, 1715–1886, vol.4".
- A Biographical Sketch by blupete: Percy Bysshe Shelley (1792–1822)
- Stooks Smith, Henry. (1973) [1844–1850]. Craig, F. W. S., ed. The Parliaments of England (2nd ed.). Chichester: Parliamentary Research Services. ISBN 0-900178-13-2.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "H"
- Stooks Smith, page 350
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "N" (part 2)
- thePeerage.com – Person Page 3897
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Timothy Shelley
|Parliament of Great Britain|
|Member of Parliament for Horsham
With: Wilson Braddyll
Lord William Gordon
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
Sir Cecil Bisshopp
|Member of Parliament for New Shoreham
1802 – 1818
With: Sir Cecil Bisshopp to 1806
Sir Charles Burrell, Bt from 1806
James Martin Lloyd
Sir Charles Burrell, Bt