Zahn at the 2017 Phoenix Comicon
|Born||September 1, 1951|
Chicago, Illinois, U.S.
|Genre||Science fiction, fantasy|
Timothy Zahn (born September 1, 1951) is an American writer of science fiction and fantasy. He is known for the Thrawn series of Star Wars novels, and has published several other series of science fiction and fantasy novels, in addition to many works of short fiction.
Zahn grew up in Lombard, Illinois and attended Glenbard East High School in Lombard. He then went on to Michigan State University, before working towards a doctorate in physics at the University of Illinois.
Zahn's novella Cascade Point won the 1984 Hugo Award. He is the author of the Blackcollar trilogy and the Cobra series (eight novels so far), fourteen Star Wars expanded universe novels, including ten novels featuring Grand Admiral Thrawn: the Thrawn trilogy, the Hand of Thrawn duology, Outbound Flight, Choices of One, Thrawn, Thrawn: Alliances, and Thrawn: Treason.
LucasFilm at times referred to some of the more detailed Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game supplements from West End Games, and when Zahn started work on a new trilogy of Star Wars books, boxes of West End sourcebooks were delivered to him.:191 At the time, Zahn was writing what would become known as the Thrawn trilogy, the first book of which was Heir to the Empire (1991).:193 In turn, West End released sourcebooks for Zahn's three novels from 1992–1994.:193
The Thrawn trilogy marked a revival in the fortunes of the Star Wars franchise, bringing it widespread attention for the first time in years; all three Thrawn trilogy novels made the New York Times Best Seller List, and set the stage and tone for most of the franchise's expanded universe content. Zahn also wrote the young adult Dragonback series and the popular Conquerors' trilogy.
- Timothy Zahn (Author of Heir to the Empire) Retrieved 2018-11-24.
- Borrelli, Christopher (May 23, 2017). "Novelist Timothy Zahn is the man who saved 'Star Wars,' according to fans". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved May 23, 2017.
- "1984 Hugo Awards". The Hugo Awards.
- Shannon Appelcline (2011). Designers & Dragons. Mongoose Publishing. ISBN 978-1-907702-58-7.
- Breznican, Anthony (November 2, 2012). "Star Wars sequel author Timothy Zahn weighs in on new movie plans". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved July 21, 2016.
- Timothy Zahn's page at Tor Books
- Timothy Zahn's page at Open Road Media
- Timothy Zahn at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database
- Timothy Zahn interview with RoqooDepot.com for Mara Month, May 7, 2012
- Timothy Zahn interview with RoqooDepot.com at Star Wars Celebration VI, August 25, 2012
- Timothy Zahn 'Scoundrels' interview with RoqooDepot.com, December 31, 2012
- Timothy Zahn at ComicBookDb.com