|Born||Célestine Ann Beyincé
January 4, 1954
Galveston, Texas, U.S.
|Other names||Tina Lawson
Tina Knowles Lawson
(m. 1980; div. 2011)
|Relatives||Bianca Lawson (stepdaughter)|
|Labels||House of Deréon|
Celestine "Tina" Beyincé-Lawson (born January 4, 1954) is an American businesswoman and fashion designer known for her House of Deréon and Miss Tina by Tina Knowles fashion brands. She is the mother of singers Beyoncé and Solange Knowles, and was previously married to Mathew Knowles, the manager of Destiny's Child as well as Beyoncé and Kelly Rowland until 2011.
Knowles was born Célestine Ann Beyincé in Galveston, Texas, on January 4, 1954, the daughter of Lumis Albert Beyincé and Agnes Derouen. Her ancestry is Creole (African, Native American, and French). Her family roots are from Iberia Parish, Louisiana. She is a descendant of Acadian leader Joseph Broussard. She married Mathew Knowles on January 5, 1980 in Galveston, Texas. She filed for divorce from Mathew Knowles in 2009, stating "discord or conflict of personalities" which prevented them from "reasonable expectation of reconciliation" as the reason. The divorce was finalized in December 2011. Knowles has two grandchildren; granddaughter Blue Ivy Carter from Beyoncé and grandson Daniel Julez J. Smith, Jr from Solange. While in high school, Tina Knowles was part of a singing group called the Veltones, inspired by The Supremes.
Tina Knowles worked as a beautician until 1990 when she opened the salon Headliners, located in Houston. The salon went on to become one of the most famous hair businesses in Houston. Tina's rise to prominence came as costume designer for Destiny's Child. In the early days of her daughter's career, when money was limited, she created outfits that the members wore on-stage and to events. In 2002, she published a book titled Destiny's Style: Bootylicious Fashion, Beauty and Lifestyle Secrets From Destiny's Child in which she discussed how fashion affected Destiny's Child's success. The book was published through the company HarperCollins.
In 2004, Tina Knowles launched the clothing line House of Deréon alongside Beyoncé named after Agnes Deréon. On November 22, 2010, Knowles appeared with Beyoncé on The View to promote her clothing line called "Miss Tina by Tina Knowles". In 2009, she expanded the line to Walmart after it was previously being sold on the Home Shopping Network. Discussing her style of designing for the line, Knowles revealed she aimed to "hide flaws and create a slimming silhouette", adding, "Everything is created like a foundation garment, even the dresses. The pieces are designed to make the woman look leaner and taller." In early 2010, Tina Knowles again collaborated with Beyoncé to open the Beyoncé Cosmetology Center at the Phoenix House in Brooklyn.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tina Knowles.|
- Hall, Michael (April 2004). "It's a Family Affair". Texas Monthly. ISSN 0148-7736. Archived from the original on March 25, 2016. Retrieved September 7, 2014.
She was born Celestine Beyoncé in Galveston in 1954.
- "Beyoncé Knowles' Biography". Fox News Channel. April 15, 2008. Archived from the original on January 30, 2012.
Beyonce Giselle Knowles was born ...to parents Mathew Knowles and Tina Beyince.
- Ancestry.com. Texas Birth Index, 1903-1997 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2005.
- Daniels, Cora; Jackson, John L. (2014). "Impolite Conversations: On Race, Politics, Sex, Money, and Religion". p. 198. ISBN 9781476739113. Retrieved June 10, 2015.
- Smolenyak, Megan (January 12, 2012). "A Peek into Blue Ivy Carter's Past". The Huffington Post (AOL). Retrieved January 14, 2012.
- Perpetua, Matthew (December 19, 2011). "Beyonce's Parents Finalize Divorce". Rolling Stone. Wenner Media. Retrieved September 7, 2014.
- Sewing, Joy (October 17, 2010). "Tina Knowles offers high fashion at low cost". Houston Chronicle. Hearst Corporation. Retrieved September 7, 2014.
- "Tina Knowles Opens Up About Dating And Life After Mathew Knowles (VIDEO)". The Huffington Post. October 7, 2014. Retrieved November 1, 2014.
- "Beyonce's Mom Tina Knowles Marries in Elegant Yacht Wedding: Photo - Us Weekly". usmagazine.com. April 13, 2015.
- "Mother Power! - Beyoncé and Tina Knowles". Ebony. 58 (7). Johnson Publishing Company. May 2003. p. 166. ISSN 0012-9011. Retrieved September 7, 2014.
- Dunn, Jancee (June 10, 2001). "Date with destiny". The Observer. Guardian Media Group. Retrieved September 7, 2014.
- "Book Excerpt: Destiny's Style". ABC News. American Broadcasting Company. Retrieved September 7, 2014.
- "Tina Knowles Shows Off Her Clothing Line on 'The View'". OK!. Northern & Shell. November 22, 2010. Retrieved September 7, 2014.