|• Type||Selection Grade Municipality|
|• Body||Municipal Council|
|• Total||22.33 km2 (8.62 sq mi)|
|Elevation||58 m (190 ft)|
|• Density||3,300/km2 (8,400/sq mi)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Tindivanam is a town and a municipality in Viluppuram district in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. Important roads from north to south (NH 45) Tamil Nadu pass through Tindivanam and similarly from west to east (NH 66).
Tindivanam is early known as tinthirivanam(திந்திரிவனம்), this name came Because of the shivan temple located at Tindivanam. The name of the shivan located there is திந்திரிஈஸ்வர் (Tinthieswar). Tindivanam is a Selection grade Municipal Town. Tindivanam was constituted as a Municipality in 01.04.1949; it was upgraded as 2nd grade Municipality from 03.04.1970, 1st grade Municipality from 22.05.98 and Selection Grade from 02.12.2008.
Ennairam, located near Tindivanam, has inscriptions about the Hindu shastras that date back to the 11th century. The Chola temple of Narasimma swamy koil built by Rajaraja Chola 1 (985 –1010) and has reached 1000 years. 8,000 samanaras lived in this village. As of 2011, the town had a population of 72,796.
It was initially known as 'Tinthrivanam' where "tinthri" means tamarind in pure Tamil and "vanam" means jungle. It was called the 'Jungle of Tamarind' in the olden days. This name changed slowly to its present-day name.
Tindivanam is located at  It has an average elevation of 58 metres (190 feet). Tindivanam is 120 km southwest from Chennai and 35 km northwest from Pondicherry. Tindivanam is one among the three sub-divisions of Villupuram District, Tamil Nadu. This small town lies about 65 km northwest of Cuddalore. Tindivanam is divided into 234 Revenue Villages under Tindivanam Taluk..
It lies in the stretch of NH-45, about 123 km from Chennai, capital city of Tamil Nadu. Tindivanam is at the junction of roads going to Tiruchirapalli, Pondicherry, Thiruvannamalai, Kanchipuram, Villuppuram, Thellar, Marakkanam and Chennai. Tindivanam is about 69 km from Chengalpet; it takes about 1.30 hours to reach by roadways.
According to 2011 census, Tindivanam had a population of 72,796 with a sex-ratio of 1,003 females for every 1,000 males, much above the national average of 929. A total of 7,664 were under the age of six, constituting 3,922 males and 3,742 females. Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes accounted for 16.59% and .49% of the population respectively. The average literacy of the town was 78.19%, compared to the national average of 72.99%. The town had a total of 17088 households. There were a total of 24,415 workers, comprising 595 cultivators, 672 main agricultural labourers, 465 in house hold industries, 19,541 other workers, 3,142 marginal workers, 51 marginal cultivators, 431 marginal agricultural labourers, 207 marginal workers in household industries and 2,453 other marginal workers.
- Tindivanam assembly constituency is part of Villupuram (Lok Sabha constituency) (up to 2009 Tindivanam was a Lok Sabha constituency).
- Tindivanam legislative assembly:
- Member of legislative assembly : Haridoss MS
- Tindivanam Municipal Council:
- Villupuram District Govt Website. "Narasimma Swamy Koil - Ennairam". Retrieved 5 July 2010.
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Tindivanam
- "Census Info 2011 Final population totals". Office of The Registrar General and Census Commissioner, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2013. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "Census Info 2011 Final population totals - Tindivanam". Office of The Registrar General and Census Commissioner, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2013. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "List of Parliamentary and Assembly Constituencies" (PDF). Tamil Nadu. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2008-10-08.
- "Chairman - Tindivanam Municipal Council". Tindivanam Municipality, Municipal Web Portal, Govt of Tamilnadu.
- "Vice Chairman - Tindivanam Municipal Council". Tindivanam Municipality, Municipal Web Portal, Govt of Tamilnadu.
- "Commissioner - Tindivanam Municipal Council". Tindivanam Municipality, Municipal Web Portal, Govt of Tamilnadu.
|Next station northbound:
|South Line, Chennai Suburban||Next station southbound:
|Stop number: 41||KM from start: 125.48|