The tinkerbirds or tinker barbets are the genus Pogoniulus of the Lybiidae, the African barbet family of near passerines, which was formerly included in the Capitonidae and sometimes in the Ramphastidae. Tinkerbirds are widely distributed in tropical Africa.
List of species in taxonomic order
- Speckled tinkerbird, Pogoniulus scolopaceus
- Western tinkerbird, Pogoniulus coryphaea
- Moustached tinkerbird, Pogoniulus leucomystax
- Green tinkerbird, Pogoniulus simplex
- Red-rumped tinkerbird, Pogoniulus atroflavus
- Yellow-throated tinkerbird, Pogoniulus subsulphureus
- Yellow-rumped tinkerbird, Pogoniulus bilineatus
- White-chested tinkerbird, Pogoniulus makawai
- Yellow-fronted tinkerbird, Pogoniulus chrysoconus
- Red-fronted tinkerbird, Pogoniulus pusillus
Supposed fossil remains of Late Miocene tinkerbirds were found at Kohfidisch (Austria) but are not yet thoroughly studied. It is not clear whether they belong to the extant genus, but given the late date this may well be so.
- Mlíkovský (2002)
- Mlíkovský, Jirí (2002): Cenozoic Birds of the World, Part 1: Europe. Ninox Press, Prague. ISBN 80-901105-3-8 PDF fulltext
|This Piciformes-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|