Tinley Park High School
|Tinley Park High School|
|6111 W. 175th Street
Tinley Park, Illinois, 60477
|School type||Public secondary|
|School district||Bremen Com. HS District 228|
|Average class size||20.7|
|Athletics conference||South Suburban Conference|
|Rival||Oak Forest High School|
|Average ACT scores||20.0|
Tinley Park High School, TPHS or simply Tinley is a public high school located in Tinley Park, Illinois, approximately 30 miles southwest of Chicago. It is part of Bremen Community High School District 228 which also includes Oak Forest High School, Hillcrest High School and Bremen High School.
Tinley Park High School is the second oldest school of the four high schools comprising Bremen High School District 228, opening in 1961. The 1,100 students at TPHS come from sections of the villages of Tinley Park, Oak Forest, Markham, and Country Club Hills, Illinois.
With approximately 67 teachers for the estimated 1100 student body, Tinley Park has a student/teacher ratio of roughly 17:1. In 2007, the student body composed of 56.8% caucasian students, 25.8% African-American students, 10.4% Hispanic students, 4.7% Asian-American students, 0.6% Native American students, and 1.6% multi-racial students.
The school sponsors interscholastic teams for young men and women in: basketball, bowling, cross country, golf, soccer, swimming & diving, tennis, and track & field. Young men may compete in baseball, football, and wrestling. Young women may compete in cheerleading, softball, and volleyball. While not sponsored by the IHSA, the school also sponsors a pom pom team (the Titanette Dancers).
The following teams have won their respective IHSA state tournaments or meets:
- Cheerleading: State Champions (2006–07, 07–08)
- Football: State Champions (1986–87)
- Garry Meier, radio personality, '68
- Ron Gora was a physical education teacher and swimming coach. He competed in swimming at the 1952 Summer Olympics.
- "District 228 Administration". Retrieved March 1, 2009.
- "Administration". Tinley Park High School. Retrieved May 26, 2009.
- "Tinley Park High School". Retrieved May 26, 2009.
- "2008 Illinois School Report Card for Tinley Park HS" (PDF). Retrieved May 26, 2009.
- "School info for Tinley Park HS". ihsa.org. Retrieved May 26, 2009.
- "Activities directory". Tinley Park High School. Retrieved May 26, 2009.
- "Athletics". Tinley Park High School. Retrieved May 26, 2009.
- "IHSA Season Summaries for Tinley Park HS". Retrieved May 26, 2009.
- "Coach Passes On Key to Greatness". Chicago Tribune. 18 February 1965. pp. NW7. Retrieved 15 August 2009.
Gora would rather discuss his (Tinley Park) titan swimming team than himself, but he is familiar with greatness. He swam in the 1952 Olympics ...