Tioga in 2012
Location of Tioga, Texas
|• Town||1.2 sq mi (3.2 km2)|
|• Land||1.2 sq mi (3.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|• Metro||979 sq mi (2,536 km2)|
|Elevation||673 ft (205 m)|
|• Density||669.2/sq mi (250.9/km2)|
|• Metro density||130/sq mi (50/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1369968|
The town was named for the Tioga Indian tribe of New York.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 1.2 square miles (3.1 km2), of which, 1.2 square miles (3.1 km2) of it is land and 0.81% is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 754 people, 291 households, and 197 families residing in the town. The population density was 611.7 people per square mile (236.7/km²). There were 314 housing units at an average density of 254.8 per square mile (98.6/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 93.90% White, 0.40% African American, 0.27% Native American, 1.19% Asian, 2.39% from other races, and 1.86% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 13.13% of the population.
There were 291 households out of which 32.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.7% were married couples living together, 8.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.0% were non-families. 25.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.59 and the average family size was 3.19.
In the town the population was spread out with 26.3% under the age of 18, 9.0% from 18 to 24, 32.1% from 25 to 44, 20.3% from 45 to 64, and 12.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females there were 101.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 94.4 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $37,153, and the median income for a family was $44,688. Males had a median income of $29,200 versus $27,778 for females. The per capita income for the town was $17,373. About 5.0% of families and 6.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 3.9% of those under age 18 and 14.0% of those age 65 or over.
The Tioga Independent School District serves local students.
Until the 2012-2013 school year, the district served students in grades Pre-Kindergarten through eight; students in grades nine through twelve attended Gunter High School in the neighboring Gunter Independent School District. During the 2012-2013 school year, the district began phasing in a high school curriculum, beginning with the 9th grade and adding one grade each of the following years, until the 2015-2016 school year when the school will have its first graduating class.
- Gene Autry, movie star known as the "Singing Cowboy"; born in Tioga.
- Randy Travis, country music singer; moved to a ranch in Tioga.
- Olan R. Van Zandr, blind Representative and Congressman in the Texas Legislature.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Profile for Tioga, Texas, TX". ePodunk. Retrieved July 27, 2012.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2014". Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- Brown, Jarad. "Gene Autry". Texas State Historical Association. Retrieved July 2014.
- Trigger (October 10, 2013). "Randy Travis to Finally Return Home This Weekend After Health Problems". Saving Country Music.
- Davenport, Don; Davenport, J.R. (2014). Tioga and Collinsville. Arcadia Publishing. p. 8.