Tiong Thai King
|Yang Berhormat Datuk
Tiong Thai King
|Member of the Malaysian Parliament
for Lanang, Sarawak
1995 – 5 May 2013
|Preceded by||Jason Wong Sing Nang (DAP)|
|Succeeded by||Alice Lau Kiong Yieng (DAP-PR)|
|Member of the Sarawak State Assembly
7 May 2016
|Preceded by||Yap Hoi Liong (DAP-PR)|
|Chairman of Sibu Municipal Council|
|Preceded by||Robert Lau Hoi Chew|
|Born||4 July 1945|
|Political party||Direct Barisan Nasional; formerly SUPP and UPP|
Datuk Tiong Thai King (simplified Chinese: 张泰卿; traditional Chinese: 張泰卿; pinyin: Zhāng Tàiqīng; born 4 July 1945) was the Member of the Parliament of Malaysia for the Lanang constituency in Sarawak from 1995 to 2013, representing the Sarawak United Peoples' Party (SUPP) in the governing Barisan Nasional coalition.
Tiong was elected to Parliament in the 1995 election. In 2004 he was appointed Chairman of the Sibu Municipal Council. He is also a former Senator. In the 2011 Sarawak election, he was nominated as the candidate for the Dudong constituency, but was defeated by Yap Hoi Liong of the Democratic Action Party (DAP) by 317 votes. He failed to defend his federal parliamentary seat at the 2013 election, losing to Alice Lau Kiong Yieng of the DAP by 8,630 votes.
However, in the 2016 State election, he contested in the Dudong constituency for the second time as Direct BN candidate, and he won the seat, with the majority of 2,146 votes, beating the incumbent Yap Hoi Liong of DAP, Mary Ting Yiik Hong of STAR, and 2 independent candidates, Casper Kayong Umping and Dato Sri Dr. Benny Lee.
|1995||Tiong Thai King (SUPP)||18,221||53%||Wong Sing Nang (DAP)||15,813||46%|
|1999||Tiong Thai King (SUPP)||16,256||62%||Wong Ho Leng (DAP)||9,466||36%|
|2004||Tiong Thai King (SUPP)||14,895||59%||Wong Kee Woan (DAP)||10,174||40%|
|2008||Tiong Thai King (SUPP)||19,476||57%||Wong Kee Woan (DAP)||14,612||42%|
|2013||Tiong Thai King (SUPP)||17,983||40%||Alice Lau Kiong Yieng (DAP)||26,613||59%|
- "Tiong Thai King, Y.B. Tuan" (in Malay). Parliament of Malaysia. Archived from the original on 24 November 2009. Retrieved 21 April 2010.
- Wong, James (9 March 2008). "Sarawak DAP mulls over election petitions". The Star. Retrieved 21 April 2010.
- The Star (10 April 2004). "Tiong picked as Sibu Municipal Council chief". Star Publications (Malaysia). Retrieved 21 April 2010.
- "Keputusan Pilihan Raya Umum Parlimen/Dewan Undangan Negeri". Election Commission of Malaysia. Retrieved 21 April 2010. Percentage figures based on total turnout.
- The Borneo Post (8 May 2016). "Thai King scoops Dudong for BN". The Borneo Post. Retrieved 11 May 2016.