|Region||Central Visayas (Region VII)|
|District||6th District of Cebu|
|• Brgy Captain|
|Population (2015 census)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|IDD : area code||+63 (0)32|
Tipolo is the second southernmost barangay of Mandaue. The first being Subangdaku which bounds Tipolo in the south and southwest. In the east it is bounded by The Mandaue Reclamation Area. In the north by barangay Guizo and in the northeast by Banilad, Mandaue.
Origin of Name
On 7 April 1521, Ferdinand Magellan landed and founded a settlement in the "Cove of Cebu". Five decades after the death of Ferdinand Magellan, Miguel López de Legazpi came back to the Philippines. The year was 1565, upon reaching the Philippines, he established the country’s first dry-dock complex in the said cove.
A few meters from the cove is a spring surrounded by trees of tipolo. People from other places flock to the spring to wash their clothes and take a bath. Close to the spring and in between the tipolo trees laid the old railway.
In the 1960s San Miguel Corporation was expanding its operations in Cebu province. Mandaue was picked the location of the new brewing complex. The complex was built in Tipolo due to its strategic location. The industrial complex was started in 1964 and inaugurated on 8 February 1968. The 27.1-hectare (67-acre) SMC complex occupied what used to be farmlands in Tipolo. Since then the brewery has been a landmark in the barangay and in the city of Mandaue.
Mowadays, not a single tipolo tree can be found in the barangay. The spring has dried out. In the site of the spring passes a canal where the wastes from SMC flows. Above the canal is the Tipolo bridge. Connected to the bridge is a highway, M. C. Briones St., were the railway once laid. The shores of Tipolo, the root of barangay Tipolo, is now gone. It was reclaimed in the late 1990s.
- Colegio de la Inmaculada - Mandaue
- Tipolo Elementary School
- Tipolo National High School
- ACA Learning Center
- SPM Academy Inc.
- NBA Academy Inc.
- "Region VII (Central Visayas)". Census of Population (2015): Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay (Report). PSA. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- Project of Precincts for the 2013 Barangay Elections
- "Barangay Tipolo". Mandaue City Barangay Information Sharing Network. The City of Mandaue. Retrieved 2008-04-22.[dead link]
- "Mantawi... A Festival of History". Tourism. The City of Mandaue. Archived from the original on 2008-03-24. Retrieved 2008-04-22.
- "Other Landmarks". Tourism. The City of Mandaue. Archived from the original on 2008-03-14. Retrieved 2008-04-22.