Tippie College of Business
|Type||Undergraduate & Graduate business school|
|University of Iowa|
|Dean||Sarah Fisher Gardial|
|102 full-time |
|Students||5,150 total |
|Undergraduates||4000 full-time |
|Postgraduates||1000 full-time |
108 John Pappajohn Business Building
The Tippie College of Business, better known as "Tippie", is the business school located at the University of Iowa in Iowa City, Iowa. Established as the College of Commerce in 1921, Tippie is one of the oldest and top ranked business schools in the United States. The college is named after 1949 graduate, Henry B. Tippie—marking the first academic division at the University of Iowa to be named after an alumnus. The college is located in the Pappajohn Business Building, which is named after Des Moines venture capitalist, John Pappajohn, a 1952 graduate of the college.
Isaac Althaus Loos shaped the early beginnings of the college by establishing the School of Political and Social Science, which included degrees in commerce, economics and finance. In 1908, the word "commerce" was added to the school name, and the school featured nearly 40 courses. In 1921, the College of Commerce was born and enrolled approximately 100 students with 23 faculty members. Two years later, the college joined the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB).
In the 1950s, the college was reorganized into six departments and renamed the College of Business Administration. In 1994, the college moved into its present location, the Pappajohn Business Building, at the corner of Clinton and Market Street. Sarah Fisher Gardial serves as the college’s current dean.
In 2008, Tippie became the new home for the Consortium Institute for Management and Business Analysis (CIMBA). In a university news article, the dean said, "We are delighted that we have the opportunity to broaden the global footprint of the Tippie College of Business and the University of Iowa".
The Tippie College of Business offers Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) degrees in one of seven areas: accounting, business analytics and information systems (BAIS), economics, finance, management, marketing and entrepreneurial management.
Students may also earn certificates in Business Analytics, Entrepreneurial Management, International Business, and Risk Management and Insurance.
The college also offers graduate programs, including a Master of Accountancy, Master of Science in Business Analytics and Ph.D. degrees. Tippie offers several MBA programs - Including the Full-time MBA Program; the MBA Program for Professionals and Managers (MBA-PM) that is offered in the Quad Cities, Cedar Rapids, and Des Moines; and the two-year Executive MBA Program. Moreover, the college offers International MBA Programs in Hong Kong and Italy.
The undergraduate program features a dedicated career services center, the Pomerantz Career Center, and The Frank Business Communications Center. Students participate in nearly thirty undergraduate organizations, including Alpha Kappa Psi, Delta Sigma Pi and the American Marketing Association. Honors students can join one of the oldest chapters (established in 1921) of the business honorary society, Beta Gamma Sigma as well as Beta Alpha Psi: Honorary accounting organization.
Centers and Institutes
- Business Solutions Center→ brings together cross-functional teams of MBA students to develop solutions for a variety of businesses through research and ideas.
- Founders Club→ program that serves as a business incubator for student entrepreneurs pursuing the startup of a business.
- Hawkinson Institute of Business Finance→ facilitates career opportunities in investment banking, financial service, and consulting industries for finance students.
- Institute for International Business→ in partnership with the Entrepreneuiral Management Institute, this institute partners students with international companies in Iowa to aid in devloping valuable skills for the business field.
- Jacobson Institute for Youth Entrepreneurship→ focuses on K-12 students and fostering an entrepreneurial mindset at an early age.
- John Pappajohn Entrepreneurial Center (JPEC)→ cross-campus program for student entrepreneurs that plays a role in the development of Iowa-based technology and high-growth start-up companies.
- Judith R. Frank Business Communication Center→ works with students at Tippie to develop and enhance communication skills in their writing and speaking assignments.
- Marketing Institute→ three-semester program for an elite group of marketing students that centers around experiential learning through work with actual businesses.
- Pomerantz Career Center→ center for professional advising regarding students' academic and career goals.
- Small Business Development Center→ MBA students work on special projects and gain experiential learning.
- Vaughan Institute of Risk Management and Insurance→ excellent way to students to gain training and guidance in the risk management and insurance field.
- Iowa Electronic Markets Institute (IEM)→ futures market run for research and teaching purposes.
- RSM Institute for Accounting Education and Research→ as part of the Accounting Department, this institute aids in research and educational experience for faculty.
Social Media Presence
Tippie College of Business is on several social media outlets. Stay up to date on current updates and happenings for the school via Twitter: @TippieIowa and Instagram: @TippieCollege.
|Business school rankings|
|U.S. undergraduate business|
|U.S. News & World Report||34|
|Bloomberg Businessweek||Top 50|
|U.S. News & World Report||34|
The Tippie Master of Business Administration (MBA) program consistently ranks near the top of the Forbes Magazine listing of fastest payback on an MBA degree. In 2015, Tippie's Full-time MBA Program was ranked #6 for Fastest Payback and #26th overall in the U.S.  For 2016, Financial Times ranked Tippie College of Business as #1 in the world for Finance, #2 in the world for percent employed at 3 months, and #2 for value for the money in the U.S. It is also among the top twenty programs at a public university by The Economist and 34th best in the country by US News and World Report.
The Tippie College undergraduate program was ranked in the Top 50 Public schools Business Week Magazine in 2014.
- "Tippie facts". Tippie College of Business. Retrieved May 5, 2012.
- "Tippie College To Lead Top Study Abroad Program for Business Students." August 2008.
- "Academic Programs". The University of Iowa. Retrieved May 5, 2012.
- "Best Undergraduate Business Programs Rankings". U.S. News & World Report. 2015. Retrieved 2016-02-06.
- "Best Business Schools 2015". Bloomberg Businessweek. 2015. Retrieved 2016-02-06.
- "The Best Business Schools". Forbes. 2015. Retrieved 2016-02-06.
- "Best Business Schools". U.S. News & World Report. 2015. Retrieved 2016-02-06.
- "Global MBA Ranking". Financial Times. 2016. Retrieved 2016-02-06.