Tiptoe Through the Tulips
This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Tip Toe Through the Tulips with Me|
|by Joe Burke & Al Dubin|
Cover of the sheet music for "Tip Toe Through The Tulips With Me"
|Genre||Popular song from the 1929 film Gold Diggers of Broadway|
|Publisher||M. Witmark & Sons (New York)|
"Tiptoe Through the Tulips", also known as "Tip Toe Through the Tulips with Me", is a popular song published in 1929. The song was written by Al Dubin (lyrics) and Joe Burke (music) and made popular by guitarist Nick Lucas.
"Crooning Troubadour" Nick Lucas topped the US charts with "Tiptoe Through the Tulips" in 1929, after introducing the song in the musical "talkie" film Gold Diggers of Broadway. Lucas's recording held the #1 position for 10 weeks. Other artists charted with the song in 1929, including Jean Goldkette (#5), Johnny Marvin (#11), and Roy Fox (#18).
The song was revived in 1967 by the California rock group The Humane Society and in 1968 by Tiny Tim, whose version charted at #17 that year, becoming his signature song, which he would continue to perform throughout his career. It was also later covered by The Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band.
In popular culture
This section needs additional citations for verification. (March 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The song is mentioned in the 1997 book Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. Vernon Dursley hums the song while boarding up small cracks around the front and back doors of his house so he can stop letters from Hogwarts reaching Harry.
In The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, the phrase "I like to tiptoe through the tulips" is one of Geralt's speech options for the pass-phrase to enter the Putrid Grove in Novigrad (though not the correct one).
- CD liner notes: Chart-Toppers of the Twenties, 1998 ASV Ltd.
- "Lost in Space Memories | Episodes". Pythononline.co.uk. Retrieved 2016-10-02.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, p. 34, Scholastic Corporation, ISBN 0-7475-3269-9
- "Otto Waalkes "Tip Toe through the Tulips" 1973". YouTube. 2013-10-28. Retrieved 2016-10-02.
- "ChristopherOdd "Let's Play The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Part 43"". YouTube. 2015-06-19.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGu8YwQa8no&list=PLC2C9BFC77856C976&index=145. Missing or empty