Underwood with the Patriots in 2011
|No. 1 Hamilton Tiger-Cats|
|Date of birth:||February 17, 1987|
|Place of birth:||New Brunswick, New Jersey|
|Height:||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Weight:||183 lb (83 kg)|
|High school:||Lawrenceville (NJ) Notre Dame|
|NFL draft:||2009 / Round: 7 / Pick: 253|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career NFL statistics|
Tiquan Underwood (born February 17, 1987) is an American football wide receiver who plays for the Hamilton Tiger Cats of the Canadian Football League (CFL). He was drafted by the Jacksonville Jaguars in the seventh round of the 2009 NFL Draft. He played college football at Rutgers.
Underwood grew up in North Brunswick, New Jersey. Before playing at Rutgers, he played for Notre Dame High School in Lawrenceville, New Jersey. Underwood started as a wide receiver his sophomore and senior years. He was rated ** by Rivals.com and only received scholarship offers from Rutgers, Vanderbilt, and Maryland.
During week one of the 2007 college football season, Underwood was one of four nominees for the AT&T All-America Player of the Week award.
In 2008, Underwood was named a team captain. After the season, he was the recipient of the Loyal Knight Award, honoring the Rutgers player whose character and dedication have proved resilient in his pursuit of excellence.
Underwood was drafted 253rd overall in the seventh round of the 2009 NFL Draft Jacksonville Jaguars. He was waived on September 5, 2009. He was re-signed to the practice squad on September 6. He was called up from the Jaguars practice squad on September 23, 2009. He was waived on August 25, 2011, after playing in 10 games in 2010.
New England Patriots
On August 29, 2011, Underwood signed with the New England Patriots. On September 3, five days after signing with Patriots, Underwood was cut. On November 8, 2011, Underwood was signed to the 53 man roster to boost a beleaguered kick return squad. He was released on November 12 and re-signed on November 23, 2011. On February 4, 2012, the night before Super Bowl XLVI, Underwood was released. He was re-signed to the Patriots two days after the Super Bowl on February 7, 2012. He was cut again on May 3 after the Patriots had signed Jabar Gaffney. On August 23, 2012, he received his own AFC Championship ring.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
On May 7, 2012, Underwood signed with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He rejoined his former coach Greg Schiano. Underwood was released by the Buccaneers on August 31, 2012 even though many felt he had an impressive training camp. On September 20, 2012, Tiquan was signed again by the Buccaneers as the Buccaneers released Wide Receiver Preston Parker. On October 21, 2012, Underwood caught his first touchdown pass of his career in a losing effort to the New Orleans Saints. He was released again by the Buccaneers on September 1, 2013 but then re-signed on October 2, 2013.
- "Blogs: Rap Sheet» Blog Archive » New Patriots WR Tiquan Underwood breaks down his decision to go with the high top fade". BostonHerald.com. 2011-08-30. Retrieved 2012-02-07.
- Staff. "Former Rutgers star Tiquan Underwood faces decisive season with Jacksonville Jaguars", The Star-Ledger, July 17, 2011. Accessed January 30, 2013. "Underwood, a North Brunswick native and a graduate of Notre Dame High School in Lawrenceville, has spent the better part of the summer training at the University of Minnesota with Fitzgerald and a number of other NFL players as part of Fitzgerald's annual workout sessions."
- Tom Luicci/The Star-Ledger. "Underwood nominated for national honor". NJ.com. Retrieved 2012-02-07.
- "Rutgers Football Award Winners". Scarletknights.com. Retrieved 2012-02-07.
- Michael C. Wright. "Jaguars cut Bouman, sign McCown". jacksonville.com. Retrieved 2012-02-07.
- g "Patriots OT Solder questionable to face Jets with concussion" Check
|url=value (help). NFL.com. 2011-11-12. Retrieved 2011-11-17.
- Flannery, Paul. "Pats sign Silvestro, release Underwood". Weei.com. Retrieved 2012-02-07.
- Thorman, Joel. "Tiquan Underwood Headed Back To Patriots After Super Bowl Eve Release". SBNation.com. Retrieved 2012-02-07.
- "Underwood thrilled to receive ring". http://espn.go.com. Retrieved 1 September 2012. External link in
- Panthers sign CB Cason, WR Underwood, QB Webb
- Gantt, Darin. "Panthers get down to 79 with 10 moves Sunday". Pro Football Talk. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- Srinivasan, Arun. "Report: Tiquan Underwood signs with CFL's Tiger-Cats". The Score.