|Città di Tirano|
|Province||Province of Sondrio (SO)|
|Frazioni||Baruffini, Cologna, Madonna di Tirano, Roncaiola|
|• Mayor||Franco Spada|
|• Total||32 km2 (12 sq mi)|
|Elevation||441 m (1,447 ft)|
(31 August 2016)
|• Density||280/km2 (730/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Patron saint||Martin of Tours|
|Saint day||11 November|
Tirano (Lombard: Tiràn, German: Thiran) is a town in Valtellina, located in the province of Sondrio in northern Italy. It has 9,053 inhabitants (2016) and is adjacent to the Switzerland-Italy boundary. The river Adda flows through the town.
Located nearby is the Catholic shrine of the Madonna di Tirano, a major tourist attraction. The shrine is dedicated to the appearance of the Blessed Mother to Mario Degli Omodei on September 29, 1504, an event religious pilgrims credit with ending a pestilence.
The Museo Etnografico Tiranese (MET) is an ethnographic museum and located nearby the Basilica Madonna di Tirano in an 18th-century Palazzo, the Casa del Penitenziere (Penitent's House).
The other, a metre gauge station, is operated by the Rhaetian Railway (RhB). The line of the Bernina Railway connects St. Moritz (Canton of Graubünden/Switzerland) with Tirano. The complete line was opened in 1910. In 2008 the Bernina Railway as well as the Albula Railway were added by UNESCO to the list of UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
- Raffaele Venusti (d.1543) Catholic apologist
- "Superficie di Comuni Province e Regioni italiane al 9 ottobre 2011". Italian National Institute of Statistics. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- "Popolazione Residente al 1° Gennaio 2018". Italian National Institute of Statistics. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- "Sito ufficiale del Cinquecentenario dell'Apparizione della Madonna di Tirano". www.comune.tirano.so.it.
- "Santuario della Madonna di Tirano". lombardiabeniculturali.it (in Italian). Archived from the original on December 19, 2016.
- Paull, J. (2015). "Tirano's Palace of Trompe L'Oeil: A Photographic Exhibition by John Paull". SlideShare. Archived from the original on 2015-12-08.
Media related to Tirano at Wikimedia Commons