Tiree Wave Classic
The Tiree Wave Classic is the UK's premier windsurfing competition. Run in recent years by Glasgow-based events company Dialogue Marketing headed up by Andy Groom, it takes place each October on the Isle of Tiree on the west coast of Scotland.
Tiree is the most westerly island of the Inner Hebrides and is perfectly situated for providing world-class windsurfing conditions. The island enjoys a mild climate has amongst the highest sunshine hours in Scotland, as well as high average wind speeds. Exposed to the powerful North Atlantic swell, with extreme winds and white sandy beaches, Tiree offers a wide range of conditions within a scenic setting.
Tiree Wave Classic was set up in 1986 and was part of the PWA Professional Windsurfing World Tour in 2007. In recent years the event has reverted to national level, and is now part of the British Wavesailing Association UK Tour. The event has dedicated worldwide TV coverage and attracts hundreds of visitors to the island each year, making the Classic a significant annual economic driver for the island.
At the six-day event, competitors in four categories (Professionals, Amateurs, Masters and Ladies) take part in wave sailing competition that can, if wind and swell conditions permit, result in some of the best windsurfing action the UK has to offer.
- "About Tiree". Discover Tiree. Retrieved 22 April 2010.
- "Tiree". British Wavesailing Association. Retrieved 24 August 2010.
- "Cash injection for Tiree economy as Wave Classic competition generates £1m". Tiree-wave classic 2008. Retrieved 22 April 2010.[dead link] The site quotes Jim Mather MSP, Minister for Enterprise, Energy and Tourism, as stating: “The Tiree Wave Classic has a significant, positive impact on the local economy and provides a welcome, annual boost to local businesses".
- "The Legendary Tiree Wave Classic". Boardseeker.com. July 2004. Retrieved 22 April 2010.
- "Balephetrish Reefs: Timed to Perfection". Boardseeker.com. Retrieved 15 April 2012.
|This windsurfing related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|