Tiruchirappalli – Howrah Superfast Express
|Service type||Inter-city Express|
|Locale||Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Odisha and West Bengal|
|Current operator(s)||Southern Railway zone|
|Start||Tiruchirappalli Junction (TPJ)|
|Distance travelled||2,025 km (1,258 mi)|
|Average journey time||35 hours, 20 minutes|
|Line used||Chord line (TPJ – VM)
Chennai Egmore–Thanjavur line (VM – MS)
Guntakal–Chennai Egmore section (MS – WST)
Diamond Junction of Chennai (WST – KOK)
Howrah-Chennai main line (KOK – HWH)
|Class(es)||2A, 3A, SL, SLR, SLRD and UR/GS|
|Seating arrangements||Corridor coach (UR/GS only)|
|Sleeping arrangements||Couchette car|
|Observation facilities||Windows in all carriages|
|Baggage facilities||Overhead racks
TPJ–VSKP: (WAM 4/WAP 1 (AJJ) or WAP 1 (RPM));
VSKP–HWH: (WAM 4 (VSKP) or WAP 4 (SRC/TATA))
One AC 2-tier (2A)
Two AC 3-tier (3A)
Thirteen II SL
One Pantry car
|Track gauge||1,676 mm (5 ft 6 in)|
|Electrification||25 kV AC, 50 Hz|
|Operating speed||57 kilometres per hour (35 mph)|
|Track owner(s)||Southern Railway zone|
Tiruchirappalli – Howrah Superfast Express is an inter-city express service connecting Tiruchirappalli, Tamil Nadu with Howrah (Kolkata), West Bengal in India. The train is the first long distance train operated by Tiruchirappalli Railway Division from Tiruchirappalli Junction, running beyond Tamil Nadu border.
This express train was introduced during the 1998–1999 Railway Budget as a tri–weekly during Tuesdays, Fridays and Saturdays to run between Tiruchirappalli in Tamil Nadu and Howrah/Kolkata in West Bengal. Numbered as 6803/6804, the service of train was reduced to bi–weekly for Tiruchi on Tuesdays and Fridays only since first week of July 2000. And on Saturdays, the service was extended till Kanyakumari as a new train numbered 6355/6356.
This train was converted to Superfast type and re-numbered to 2663/2664 from 24 January 2006 (Tiruchi) and 26 January 2006 (Howrah) onwards. Later, the train number was changed to 12663/12664 from December 2010 onwards as a part of train management system over the entire Indian Railways network.
The train leaves Tiruchirappalli Junction as 12664 at 16:00 hours every Tuesdays and Fridays, arrives Visakhapatnam at 11:45 hours on Wednesdays and Saturdays, reverses the loco and leaves at 12:05 hours and finally arrives Howrah at 03:20 hours on Thursdays and Sundays. On the return journey, the train leaves Howrah as 12663 at 16:10 hours every Thursdays and Sundays, arrives Visakhapatnam at 5:40 hours on Fridays and Mondays, reverses the loco and leaves at 6:00 hours and finally arrives Tiruchirappalli Junction at 04:25 hours on Saturdays and Tuesdays.[b] Some of the prominent stoppages includes Viluppuram Junction, Chennai Egmore, Nellore, Ongole, Vijayawada, Visakhapatnam, Vizianagaram, Bhubaneswar and Kharagpur.
- Cholan Express
- Pallavan Express
- Rockfort Express
- Tiruchirappalli-Mayiladuthurai Express
- Vaigai express
- Tiruchirappalli – Tirunelveli Intercity Express
- The coach composition is subject to change.
- The timings are in Indian Standard Time.
- "Trains at a Glance July 2013 – June 2014". Indian Railways. Retrieved 25 February 2014.
- R. Rajaram (17 January 2011). "On board cleaning proposed in Tiruchi – Howrah Express". The Hindu (Tiruchi). Retrieved 25 February 2014.
- "Railway Budget, 1998–99". Press Information Bureau. Retrieved 25 February 2014.
- "Over a dozen new trains to begin". Press Information Bureau. Retrieved 25 February 2014.
- "Tiruchi-Howrah Express made superfast". The Hindu (Chennai). 25 January 2006. Retrieved 25 February 2014.
- "Railways to Switch to ‘Five’ – Digit System for Numbering all its Passenger Carrying Trains from December 2010". Press Information Bureau. 23 September 2010. Retrieved 25 February 2014.
- "Railways migrate to 5-digit number scheme to monitor trains". The Times of India. 20 December 2010. Retrieved 25 February 2014.
- "Train Time Table for TPJ-HWH (Via. Chord Line)" (PDF). Indian Railways. p. 1. Retrieved 25 February 2014.
- "Train Time Table for TPJ-HWH (Via. HWH-MAS main line)" (PDF). Indian Railways. p. 2. Retrieved 25 February 2014.
- "Train Time Table for HWH-TPJ (Via. HWH-MAS main line)" (PDF). Indian Railways. p. 2. Retrieved 25 February 2014.
- "Train Time Table for HWH-TPJ (Via. Chord Line)" (PDF). Indian Railways. p. 2. Retrieved 25 February 2014.