Tiruchirappalli Junction railway station
Tiruchirappalli Junction railway station is a junction station in Tiruchirappalli, Tamil Nadu. It serves as the headquarters for Tiruchirappalli railway division of the Southern Railway Zone. The station code is TPJ, used for official purposes.
The Great Southern of India, a Railway Company was established in 1853 with Tiruchirappalli as its headquarters. In 1859, the company constructed its first railway line that connected Tiruchirappalli with Nagapattinam. Presently, Tiruchirappalli is an important railway junction in Tamil Nadu and is a separate division of the Southern Railway.
Five rail lines branch separately from Trichy junction:
- Towards north for Virudhachalam Junction
- Towards east for Thanjavur Junction
- Towards south-east for Karaikkudi Junction
- Towards south for Dindigul Junction
- Towards west for Karur Junction
Credits & Developments
- It has been awarded 5 stars for electricity conservation.
- Golden Rock Railway Workshop and Diesel Loco Shed were involved in maintaining the bogies and locomotives respectively for passenger and freight operations.
- Ponmalai (Golden Rock) (GOC)
- Tiruchirappalli Town (TPTN)
- Srirangam (SRGM)
- Uttamar Kovil (UKV)
- Pichchandarkovil (BXS)
- Lalgudi (LLI)
- Tiruchirappalli Fort (TP)
- Tiruchirappalli Palakkarai (TPE)
- Thiruverumbur (TRB)
- Manjattidal (MCJ)
In popular culture
Tiruchchirapalli Junction is one of the most prominent landmarks in the city that is often featured in certain movies. The station has been used in certain Indian novels and art productions over the years. Few films and other programs have been filmed at the station, including:
- Of which, Platform.No:1A is much shorter than other platforms.
- Syed Muthahar, Saqaf (30 January 2010). "Electrified BG section to be inaugurated". The Hindu. Retrieved 24 December 2013.
- R. Rajaram (22 July 2016). "Tiruchi Junction to get Wi-Fi". The Hindu. Tiruchi. Retrieved 24 July 2016.
- Muthiah, S. (2004). Madras Rediscovered. East West Books (Madras) Pvt Ltd. p. 321. ISBN 81-88661-24-4.
- "Tiruchchirappalli division". Southern Railway zone. Retrieved 2011-06-30.
- Tiruchirappalli Junction railway station at the India Rail Info
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tiruchirappalli Junction railway station.|