Tiruchirappalli Junction railway station
|Express train, Passenger train, Commuter rail and Heavy rail station|
Front view of Tiruchirapalli Junction
|Location||Rockins Road, Tiruchirapalli District. Tamil Nadu. PIN - 620001|
|Elevation||95.05 metres (311.8 ft)|
|Owned by||Indian Railways|
|Operated by||Southern Railway zone|
Trichy-Thanjavur-Kumbakonam Main line
Trichy-Dindigul lineTrichy-Manamadurai line
|Structure type||At-grade (Indo-Gothic)|
|Zone(s)||Southern Railway zone|
|Electrified||25 kV AC 50 Hz|
|Previous names||Old Madras Railway station|
|Passengers||1,50,000 per day|
Tiruchirappalli Junction railway station(TPJ) is a junction station in Tiruchirappalli, Tamil Nadu. It serves as the headquarters for Tiruchirappalli railway division of the Southern Railway Zone. The station code is TPJ, used for official purposes. Daily approximately 1,50,000 passengers are using this Tiruchchirappalli Junction. TPJ is the only railway station in southern railway to host Diesel-electric Multiple Unit (DEMU) shed.
The Great Southern of India, a Railway Company was established in 1853 with Tiruchirappalli as its headquarters. In 1859, the company constructed its first railway line that connected Tiruchirappalli with Nagapattinam. Presently, Tiruchirappalli is an important railway junction in Tamil Nadu and is a separate division of the Southern Railway.
Five rail lines branch separately from Trichy junction:
3. Towards south-east for Karaikkudi Junction
Credits and developments
It has been awarded 5 stars for electricity conservation. Golden RockRailway Workshop and Diesel Loco Shed were involved in maintaining the bogies and locomotives respectively for passenger and freight operations. The station is also equipped with free Wi-Fi, retiring rooms, and AC lounge for passengers at 1st platform.The construction of new platform no.8 is on fastrack to reduce the waiting of trains.
- Golden Rock(Ponmalai) (GOC)
- Tiruchirappalli Town (TPTN)
- Tiruchirappalli Fort (TP)
- Tiruchirappalli Palakkarai (TPE)
- Srirangam (SRGM)
- Uttamar Kovil (UKV)
- Pichchandarkovil (BXS)
- Lalgudi (LLI)
- Thiruverumbur (TRB)
- Manjattidal (MCJ)
In popular culture
Tiruchchirapalli Junction is one of the most prominent landmarks in the city that is often featured in certain movies. The station has been used in certain Indian novels and art productions over the years. Few films and other programs have been filmed at the station, including:
- Of which, Platform.No:1A is much shorter than other platforms.
- Syed Muthahar, Saqaf (30 January 2010). "Electrified BG section to be inaugurated". The Hindu. Retrieved 24 December 2013.
- R. Rajaram (22 July 2016). "Tiruchi Junction to get Wi-Fi". The Hindu. Tiruchi. Retrieved 24 July 2016.
- Muthiah, S. (2004). Madras Rediscovered. East West Books (Madras) Pvt Ltd. p. 321. ISBN 81-88661-24-4.
- "Tiruchchirappalli division". Southern Railway zone. Retrieved 30 June 2011.
- "Trichy railway junction gets free Wi-Fi - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 7 April 2017.
- "Retiring rooms in Tiruchi Junction, a big hit". The Hindu. Retrieved 7 April 2017.
- "AC Waiting Lounge Trichy". IndiaMike.com. Retrieved 7 April 2017.
- Tiruchirappalli Junction railway station at the India Rail Info
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tiruchirappalli Junction railway station.|