|Owner/Operator||Airports Authority of India|
|Location||Renigunta, Andhra Pradesh|
|Elevation AMSL||350 ft / 107 m|
|Statistics (Apr 2016- jan 2017)|
Tirupati Airport, (IATA: TIR, ICAO: VOTP) is a public airport located at Renigunta, a suburb of Tirupati in the state of Andhra Pradesh, India. The airport is located 14 km (8.7 mi) away from Tirupati and 39 km (24 mi) from Venkateswara Temple, Tirumala.
Tirupati airport was established in the year 1976. Then Prime Minister of India, P. V. Narasimha Rao laid the foundation stone for a new terminal building, run way expansion and a radio tower in 1993 at a cost of ₹11 crore (US$1.7 million). The upgraded airport was opened for passenger traffic in 1999 by then Prime Minister of India Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
A new integrated terminal referred to as Garuda Terminal was constructed besides the existing domestic terminal in an area of 16,500 square metres (178,000 sq ft) at a cost of ₹175 crore (US$27 million). The terminal can handle 500 domestic and 200 International Passengers at a time. The foundation stone for the Terminal was laid in October 2010 by Manmohan Singh, the then Prime Minister of India. Construction began in 2012, and the terminal was inaugurated on 22 October 2015 by present Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi. There are plans to upgrade Tirupati Airport to International status.
Airlines and destinations
|Alliance Air||Visakhapatnam, Vijayawada|
|Air India||Delhi, Hyderabad|
Accidents and incidents
On 17 September 2016, SpiceJet Flight 1047, operating on a scheduled flight from Hyderabad to Tirupati, skid the runway after landing into a sandpit due to technical issues. All the 60 passengers that were boarding the flight were safe.
On 15 November 1993, Indian Airlines Flight 440 (IC 440), an Airbus 300B2 (Registered VT-EDV), operating on a scheduled flight from Madras (now Chennai) to Hyderabad, crash landed in the paddy fields near Tirupati Airport. It was diverted due to poor weather and ran out of fuel. There was no major injuries but the aircraft was damaged beyond repair.
- "Traffic Statistics-2016" (PDF). AAI. Retrieved 2 May 2016.
- "Aircraft Movements-2016" (PDF). AAI. Retrieved 2 May 2016.
- "Cargo Statistics-2016" (PDF). AAI. Retrieved 2 May 2016.
- "Prime Minister Narendra Modi to inaugurate new terminal of Tirupati airport tomorrow". The Economic Times. 21 October 2015. Retrieved 24 October 2015.
- "PM Lays Foundation Stone for New Integrated Terminal at Tirupati Airport". Press Information Bureau. 1 September 2010. Retrieved 24 October 2015.
- "Int'l status for Tirupati airport still a dream". New Indian Express. Retrieved 10 September 2015.
- "Complete works before Oct. 15: AAI Chairman". The Hindu. 11 October 2015. Retrieved 24 October 2015.
- "Govt determined to strengthen tourism infrastructure: PM". The Hindu. 22 October 2015. Retrieved 24 October 2015.
- "PM lays foundation stone for Tirupati International Airport". NDTV. Retrieved 10 September 2015.
- "Lucky escape for SpiceJet passengers". The Hindu. 18 September 2016. Retrieved 29 September 2016.
- "Blowing the wind". Telegraph India. 17 October 2010. Retrieved 19 April 2016.
- "Major air crashes in India in two decades". New Indian Express. 22 May 2010. Retrieved 19 April 2016.
- Civil aviation accident summary (PDF). DGCA (Report). 22 May 2010.
- Airport information for VOTP at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.