|Owner/Operator||Airports Authority of India|
|Serves||Tirupati & Rajampet|
|Location||Renigunta, Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh|
|Elevation AMSL||350 ft / 107 m|
|Statistics (Apr 2017 - Mar 2018)|
Tirupati Airport (IATA: TIR, ICAO: VOTP) is a public domestic or international airport located at Renigunta, a part of Tirupati in the state of Andhra Pradesh, India. The airport is located 16 km (9.9 mi) away from north Tirupati and 39 km (24 mi) from Venkateswara Temple, Tirumala.
Tirupati Airport was established in 1976. Then Prime Minister of India P. V. Narasimha Rao laid the foundation stone for a new terminal building, runway expansion and a radio tower in 1993 at a cost of ₹11 crore (US$1.6 million). The upgraded airport was opened for passenger traffic in 1999 by then Prime Minister of India Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
A new integrated terminal referred to as Garuda Terminal was constructed adjacent to the existing domestic terminal in an area of 16,500 square metres (178,000 sq ft) at a cost of ₹175 crore (US$26 million). The terminal can handle 500 domestic and 200 international passengers at a time. The foundation stone for the terminal was laid in October 2010 by Manmohan Singh, then Prime Minister of India. Construction began in 2012, and the terminal was inaugurated on 22 October 2015 by Prime Minister Narendra Modi. Tirupati Airport was declared as an international airport by the Government of India in June 2017.
Airlines and destinations
|Air India||Hyderabad, Delhi|
|Alliance Air||Vijayawada, Visakhapatnam|
|SpiceJet||Hyderabad, Mumbai, Varanasi|
Accidents and incidents
On 15 November 1993, Indian Airlines Flight 440 (IC-440), an Airbus 300B2 (Registered VT-EDV), operating on a scheduled flight from Madras (now Chennai) to Hyderabad, crash landed in the paddy fields near Tirupati Airport. It had been diverted due to poor weather and ran out of fuel. There were no major injuries but the aircraft was damaged beyond repair.
Awards and achievements
In the year 2015-16, under the category of State Annual Excellence Awards, the airport was awarded as the Best Tourist Friendly Airport.
- "Traffic News for the month of March 2018: Annexure-III" (PDF). Airports Authority of India. 1 May 2018. p. 3. Retrieved 1 May 2018.
- "Traffic News for the month of March 2018: Annexure-II" (PDF). Airports Authority of India. 1 May 2018. p. 3. Retrieved 1 May 2018.
- "Traffic News for the month of March 2018: Annexure-IV" (PDF). Airports Authority of India. 1 May 2018. p. 3. Retrieved 1 May 2018.
- "Vijayawada, Tirupati airports get global tag". The Hindu. 23 June 2017. Retrieved 8 August 2017.
- "Prime Minister Narendra Modi to inaugurate new terminal of Tirupati airport tomorrow". The Economic Times. 21 October 2015. Retrieved 24 October 2015.
- "PM Lays Foundation Stone for New Integrated Terminal at Tirupati Airport". Press Information Bureau. 1 September 2010. Retrieved 24 October 2015.
- "Int'l status for Tirupati airport still a dream". New Indian Express. Retrieved 10 September 2015.
- "Complete works before Oct. 15: AAI Chairman". The Hindu. 11 October 2015. Retrieved 24 October 2015.
- "Govt determined to strengthen tourism infrastructure: PM". The Hindu. 22 October 2015. Retrieved 24 October 2015.
- "eGazette - Tirupati International Airport" (PDF). egazette. Retrieved 20 June 2017.
- "Blowing the wind". Telegraph India. 17 October 2010. Retrieved 19 April 2016.
- "Major air crashes in India in two decades". New Indian Express. 22 May 2010. Retrieved 19 April 2016.
- Civil aviation accident summary (PDF). DGCA (Report). 22 May 2010.
- "Tirupati Airport Awarded "Best Tourist Friendly Airport" under the category for "State Annual Excellence Awards "". Press Information Bureau, Government of India. Retrieved 8 May 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tirupati Airport.|
- Airport information for VOTP at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.