|• Body||Municipal Counsil|
|• Chairman||K. Bava|
|• Vice Chairperson||Muneera|
|• Total||16.55 km2 (6.39 sq mi)|
|Elevation||2 m (7 ft)|
|• Density||6,100/km2 (16,000/sq mi)|
|• Official||Malayalam, English, Hindi, Urdu|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
Tirur is a Town and municipality in Malappuram district in the Indian state of Kerala spread over an area of 62.34 square kilometres (24.07 sq mi). It is one of the business centers of Malappuram district and is situated 26 kilometres (16 mi) west of Malappuram and 52.5 kilometres (32.6 mi) south of Kozhikode, on the Shoranur–Mangalore section of the Mangalore–Chennai railway line. Tirur is also a major regional trading centre for fish and betel leaf and has an average elevation of 2 metres (6 ft 7 in).
As of 2001[update] India census, Tirur had a population of 53,650, of which 48% are male and 52% female. Tirur has an average literacy rate of 80%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 81%, and female literacy is 78%. In Tirur, 14% of the population is under six years of age. Tirur assembly constituency is part of Ponnani (Lok Sabha constituency).
- Railway Station: Tirur railway station is one of the major railway stations in the Malabar region. Almost every train stops here, connecting the Malappuram district to the rest of the country.
- Road: Tirur is well connected to the other cities by road, even though no National Highway passes through the town. The Chamravattom bridge connects Kochi with Kozhikode. There are regular buses plying between Tirur and cities like Malappuram, Kozhikode, Ernakulam, Guruvayur, Thrissur, Kochi, Trivandrum, Alappuzha, Kottayam, Coimbatore, Banglore and all major cities. There are a few private buses offering over night journey to Bangalore
- Nearest Airport: Calicut International Airport is approximately 35 kilometres away.
There are many schools both private and govt. and 2 colleges & polytechnic in Tirur.
|Thunchath Ezhuthachan Malayalam University, Tirur||University||Govt.|
|Thunchan Memorial Govt. College, Vakkad||Post Grad. College||Govt.|
|Ansar Arabic College (AAC), Valavannur
 KADUNGATHUKUND | style="text-align: center;" | Post Grad. College
|SSUS Regional Centre Tirur, Thazhethara||Post-grad. College||Private|
|Cochin College of Engineering and Technology, Athippatta-Valanchery||Professional College||PVT.|
|KELTRON KNOWLEDE CENTER, Naduvilangadi||Professional||Govt.|
|Food Craft Institute||Professional||Govt.|
|IHRD Extension Centre||Professional||Govt.|
|MES Central School||High School||Private|
|MET High School, Alathiyur||High School||Private|
|TIC Secondary School||High School||Private|
|Fathima Matha English School||High School||Private|
|JMHSS Tirur||High School||Private|
|K.H.M.H.S.S Alathiyur,||Higher secondary School||Aided|
|NSS English School||High School||Private|
|MET Tirur Central School||High School||Private|
|Bharathiya Vidya Bhavan English School, Tirunavaya||High School||Private|
|MSM Higher Secondary School, Kallingaparamba||High School||Private|
|Govt. HSS, Cheriyamundam||High School||Govt.|
|Govt. Girls HSS, B. P. Angadi||High School||Govt.|
|Govt. Boys HSS||High School||Govt.|
|Govt. HSS, Ezhur||High School||Govt.|
|Govt. HSS, Niramaruthur||High School||Govt.|
|NMHSS, Thirunavaya||High School||Private|
|GVHSS, Paravanna||High School||Govt.|
|Vallathol AUP School, Mangalam||Aided School||Aided|
|A.M.U.P School, Areekkad||UP School||Aided|
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 16 June 2004. Retrieved 1 November 2008.
- "Assembly Constituencies - Corresponding Districts and Parliamentary Constituencies" (PDF). Kerala. Election Commission of India. Archived from the original (PDF) on 4 March 2009. Retrieved 19 October 2008.
- "Thunchath Ezhuthachan Malayalam University".
- "Thunchan Memorial Govt. College".
- "AAC Valavannur".
- "SSUS Regional Centre Tirur".
- "SSM Polytechnic".
- "Food Craft Institute".
- "MDPS Pvt ITI".
- "IHRD Extension Centre".
- "MES Central School".
- "MET High school".
- "MET Tirur Central School".
- "Bharathiya Vidya Bhavan English School".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tirur.|