|Elevation||17 m (56 ft)|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
Tiruvaikuntam has a temple dedicated to Vishnu, known as Tiruvaikuntapathi Swami, with a lofty gopuram. The Thiruvengada Mudaiyar Mandapam is rich with sculptures of Yallis, elephants and warriors. The Ekadasi Mandapam, which is opened on Vaikunta Ekadasi days, contains sculptures. During the period of conflict between the East India Company forces and Veera Pandiya Kattabomman, the temple served as a fort. The Kailasanathaswamy temple is another important temple and contains six inscriptions of the times of Kattabomman.
As of 2001[update] India census, Tiruvaikuntam had a population of 16,214. Males constituted 48% of the population and females 52%. Tiruvaikuntam had an average literacy rate of 77%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy was 81%, and female literacy was 72%. In Tiruvaikuntam, 11% of the population was under 6 years of age. Tiruvaikuntam has Considerable Appanad Maravars, Brahmins in that region
Places of interest
- Tiruvaikuntanathan Perumal Temple
- Kailasanathar Temple, Tiruvaikuntam(Sivan temple, one of the Navakailayam temples)
- Olimuthusamy-Irulappasamy-Angaala Eswari temple, Masanakarai (Perumpattu), Tiruvaikuntam.
- Sri Pathirakaliamman Kovil,Perungulam
- St. Cruz church
- Muthavilul Hayrath Majlish (One of the Old majlish in Tiruvaikundam)
- Sri Narayana perumal temple, Narayanapuram(Devendrakulam)
- Poisollameiyan sastha temple, South Tholappanpannai.
Kallapiran Temple Car
- Tiruvaikuntam (Thiru Tiruvaikuntanathan Perumal Temple - Third largest Temple car in Tamil Nadu)
- Arulmighu Kumara Gurupara Swamigal Arts College, Tiruvaikuntam
- Arulmighu Kumara Gurupara Swamigal Public Library, Tiruvaikuntam
- Sri Kumara Gurupara Swamikal Hr Sec School, Tiruvaikuntam
- Arulmigu Kumara Gurupara Swamikal Government Girls Hr.Sec. School, Tiruvaikuntam
- TV RamaSubbier Krishnammal Hindu Vidyalaya Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Tiruvaikuntam
- Hajji Miyan Abdul Cader Middle School, Tiruvaikuntam
- SDA Mat Hr Sec School, Tiruvaikuntam
- Sri Kumara Gurupara swamigal primary school, Tiruvaikuntam
- St James Matriculation School, Tiruvaikuntam
- ulagammalanni niyabahartha middile school, Tiruvaikuntam.
- Fifth day festival every year April mid (சித்திரை மாதம் Tamil month Sithirai)
- Ninth day Car festival every year April mid (சித்திரை மாதம் Tamil month Sithirai)
- Vaikunta Ekadashi (Tamil: வைகுண்ட ஏகாதசி) Dec/Jan
- Kuruz Kovil (RC Church) Festival from 16 July to 25 July
Bus services are conducted from Madurai,Tirunelveli, Tiruchendur and Thoothukudi through Tiruvaikuntam. There is a railway station at Tiruvaikuntam. Nearest air services are at Thoothukudi (24.6 km)
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 16 June 2004. Retrieved 1 November 2008.