Tisca at the screening of Sonata
November 1, 1973
|Residence||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|Alma mater||Hindu College, University of Delhi|
|Occupation||Actress, Author and Producer|
|Spouse(s)||Capt. Sanjay Chopra|
Tisca Chopra (born 1 November 1973) is an Indian actress, author and film producer. She has acted in over 45 feature films in different languages with many eminent directors like Aamir Khan, Prakash Jha, Madhur Bhandarkar, Abhinay Deo, Nagesh Kukunoor and Anup Singh.
‘Taare Zameen Par’, her best known feature film, was India’s official entry to the Academy Awards. It also won her Filmfare and other top nominations. Another feature film, Qissa, premiered at the Toronto Film Festival in 2013, and won the prestigious NETPAC Award for Best Asian Film. The film has traveled to over 20 festivals, winning over almost all top awards and much appreciation from audiences and critics. Tisca did her Bachelors in Literature from University of Delhi and worked extensively in theatre. She has honed her craft with Naseeruddin Shah & theatre director Feroz Khan. Her performance in the Pulitzer Award-winning play, ‘Dinner With Friends’, that deals with the state of the modern marriage, was a hit in India, South East Asia & the Middle East, garnering praise from both, critics and audiences. A practicing Buddhist, she consistently works on issues especially those of gender equality, the girl child and the environment. She has worked with Sam Pitroda on the National Knowledge Commission, to help with revamping the education system.
Her book Acting Smart (Harper Collins), is a best seller and is being translated into Hindi. Tisca has been nominated at the New York Indian Film Festival for Best Actress for her work in ‘10Ml Love’, a film based on A Mid Summer Night’s Dream. . The series won Best Ensemble Cast. She’s been on the Jury of the prestigious MAMI (Mumbai Academy Of Moving Images) film festival. Chutney, a short film she wrote and produced under her company, The Eastern Way won two Filmfare Awards (Best Actress & Best Short Film). She is now developing two feature film scripts. Her upcoming projects are ‘Bioscopewala’, ‘3Dev’ & ‘The Hungry’ (which is based on the Shakespeare play “Titus Andronicus”). One of the most beautiful and stylish actresses, Tisca is often on best-dressed list and a favourite with advertisers, endorsing brands like Tanishq, Titan Eye Wear, Olay, Horlicks, Marks & Spencers, Godrej, Bajaj Motors and Kellogs.
Early life and education
Tisca Chopra was born in Kasauli, Himachal Pradesh into a family of educationists. She graduated from Apeejay School, Noida, where her father was principal. Later she studied English literature at Hindu College, University of Delhi. She also started working actively with amateur theater. While at college, she started writing for several publications and acting in plays for an amateur theater group and college festivals. After finishing her education, she moved to Mumbai and trained in acting with notable theater greats Feroz Abbas Khan and Naseeruddin Shah.She works with several NGOs, supporting education and women's rights. She speaks Hindi, English, Urdu, Bengali & Persian.
She is grand niece of famous writer Khushwant Singh, her great great uncle and Kushwant's father Sobha Singh, was a witness for prosecution in the 1929 Assembly Bomb Case, in which he identified and testified against Bhagat Singh and Batukeshwar Dutt after they threw bombs at the Delhi assembly in 1929, subsequently, Shaheed Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru were sentenced to death for their role in the assassination of Saunders.
She has won two Filmfare Awards (‘Chutney (2016)- Best Actress and Best Short Film) Filmfare Short Film Awards#Winners’ announcement. For her role in ‘Taare Zameen Par’ (2007), her best known film, she won Filmfare and Dada Saheb Phalke nominations. ‘Rahasya’ (2015), won her The People’s Choice, Best Actress at Big Star Entertainment Awards. She made her film debut with Platform (1993), opposite Ajay Devgan. She was also starred in the hit play Dinner With Friends where character of Dia, a complex role of a failed artist. In 2004 she played the role of Prabhavati Devi in Prakash Jha's Loknayak. In 2007, she appeared in Taare Zameen Par with Aamir Khan where her performance was much lauded. She acted in Nandita Das's directorial debut, Firaaq (2008). In 2011, she appeared in Madhur Bhandarkar's Dil Toh Baccha Hai Ji.
For 10ml Love, which is based on Shakespearean play Mid Summer Night's Dream, Tisca was nominated for Best Actress at the 11th Annual New York Indian Film Festival. Her film Ankur Arora Murder Case written and produced by Vikram Bhatt released in May 2013. Her other notable films are Anup Singh's Qissa with Irrfan Khan released in 2013 has travelled to over 20 festivals, winning over almost all top awards and much appreciation from audiences and critics and Rahasya by UVI Film Production Pvt. Ltd. She has worked in the Marathi film Highway with Umesh Kulkarni and Hindi and Tamil remakes of Marathi film Kaksparsh directed by Mahesh Manjrekar.
She acted in plays in Mumbai and soon her work was seen Feroz Abbas Khan's Mahatma vs Gandhi, All The Best and Satya Dev Dubey's Inshah Allah. She starred in Dinner With Friends, a Pulitzer Award-winning play. The play and Tisca garnered a lot of praise from both critics and audiences and has traveled to many cities across the world.
Starting her Television stint with the immensely popular short film format called Star Bestsellers, Tisca starred in two popular films, ‘Ek Shaam Ki Mulaqat’ and ‘Hum Saath Saath Hain Kya?’. This paved the way for leading parts in a popular show, Balaji Telefilms' ‘Kahaani Ghar Ghar Kii’(Star TV), ‘Astitva...Ek Prem Kahani (Zee TV)’ and ‘Sarrkkar: Risshton Ki Ankahi Kahani (Zee TV)’.She hosted a consumer grievances show on (Star News) called Main Hoon Na. Tisca hosted Prayschit - Gunahon Ke Zakhm on Sony Entertainment Television (India) where she got a chance to reveal the transformation that criminals go through after or during their prison sentence; the show has generated high TRP ratings. She starred in 24, in the year 2013. The series was a remake of the popular American series of the same name, produced by Anil Kapoor Films, directed by Abhinay Deo, which was premiered on Colors. Her intense performance was much lauded and made her a household name. The series won Best Ensemble Cast.
Tisca Chopra is the grand-niece of prominent Indian writer Khushwant Singh. She is married to Capt. Sanjay Chopra who is a pilot with Air India. They have one daughter and live in Mumbai. She is a practicing Buddhist and works with several NGOs, supporting education and women's rights.
|1993||15th August||Kiran||Hindi||Credited as Priya Arora|
|Platform||Tina||Hindi||Credited as Priya Arora|
|I Love India||Priya||Tamil||Credited as Priya|
|1994||Bali Umar Ko Salam||Nikitha||Hindi|
|2000||Karobaar: The Business of Love||Neelam||Hindi|
|2004||Hyderabad Blues 2||Menaka||Hindi
|2007||Taare Zameen Par||Maya Awasthy||Hindi|
|2010||10 ml Love||Tisca||Hindi|
|2011||Dil Toh Baccha Hai Ji||Anushka Anu Narang||Hindi|
|Love Breakups Zindagi||Sheila Thappar||Hindi|
|2012||OMG: Oh My God!||Interviewer||Hindi|
|2013||Ankur Arora Murder Case||Nanditha Arora||Hindi|
|2015||Rahasya||Dr. Arthi Mahajan||Hindi
|Bruce Lee - The Fighter||Malini||Telugu|
|2016||Ghayal Once Again||Sheethal Bansal||Hindi|
|Sardaar Gabbar Singh||Geetha Devi||Telugu|
|2017||The Hungry||Tulsi Joshi||Hindi|
|Ek Barabar||Hindi||Under Production|
|2018||Ajooba (Animation)||Hindi||Under Production|
|2016||Chutney||Vanita||Jyoti Kapur Das|||
Awards and nominations
- People's Choice: Stardust Best Supporting Actress Award - Taare Zameen Par
- BIG Star Entertainment Awards - Best Actor (In a negative role) - Rahasya
- Tisca won the “Best Actor Female” for Chutney at the Jio Filmfare Short Film Awards 2017. It’s a project she not just acted in, but also produced and co-wrote. The “Best Film” (Fiction) award also went to Chutney. Talking about the win, she told IANS, “It’s heartening to see that films that have no godfather or a big studio supporting them are also picked by a firm and fair jury. Winning for a character that is the opposite of ‘heroine material’ is what shows me that Filmfare is really looking at the art of acting in a bold and modern way”.
- 24, won Best Ensemble Cast at The Colors Golden Petal Awards for Best television series.
- 24, won Best Television series at The Indian Television Academy (ITA).
- Filmfare Best Supporting Actress Award - Taare Zameen Par
- Stardust Awards - Best Actress in a Supporting Role (Female) - Firaaq
- Star Screen Awards - Best Actress in a Supporting Role (Female) - Taare Zameen Par
- V. Shantaram Awards: Best Actress in a Supporting Role - Taare Zameen Par
- Zee Cine Awards Best Actress in a Supporting Role (Female) - Taare Zameen Par
- Indian Film Festival of New York Best Actress - 10ml Love
- http://www.rockstahmedia.com, Rockstah Media -. "Review: Taare Zameen Par may change your life | Rajeev Masand – movies that matter : from bollywood, hollywood and everywhere else". www.rajeevmasand.com. Retrieved 2017-04-12.
- "Qissa Movie Review - NDTV Movies". NDTVMovies.com. Retrieved 2017-04-12.
- Cinecurry (2014-01-29), 'Acting Smart' Book Launch│Tisca Chopra, Imtiyaz Ali, retrieved 2017-04-12
- "Review: 10 ml Love is silly but sweet". Rediff. Retrieved 2017-04-12.
- "'Chutney' review: Tisca Chopra's short film will leave you wanting more - The Economic Times". The Economic Times. Retrieved 2017-04-12.
- Ghosh, Sankhayan (2016-12-05). "Short film review: Chutney". livemint.com/. Retrieved 2017-04-12.
- "Tisca Chopra's short film Chutney is understated and creepy: Watch it here". Firstpost. 2016-11-29. Retrieved 2017-04-12.
- Tisca Chopra Assistant (2014-06-10), Tanishq Solitaires Reel, retrieved 2017-04-12
- Tisca Chopra Assistant (2014-06-10), Titan Eye Wear, retrieved 2017-04-12
- vishal mangalorkar (2008-09-16), olay - tisca chopra tvc by @infiniti films, retrieved 2017-04-12
- shanishchara (2011-08-19), Tisca Chopra in Horlicks Gold Commercial, retrieved 2017-04-12
- Tiscaholics (2015-06-13), Tisca Chopra Hosted Diva In You Event For Marks & Spencer, retrieved 2017-04-12
- Godrej Expert (2016-02-02), Godrej Expert Rich Crème Hair Colour: Colour Ke Saath, Dekhbhaal Rich Crème Ki, retrieved 2017-04-12
- sautanki (2012-08-08), Tisca Chopra - Kellogg's All Bran 2012, retrieved 2017-04-12
- 'I enjoyed working with Aamir', Rediff.com, 8 June 2007.
- Somit Sen; Manthan K Mehta (12 April 2014). "Only 10 public transport services for every 90 private vehicles in Mumbai". The Times of India. TNN. Retrieved 12 April 2014.
- Indiatoday article
- "Ordinance No. III of 1930". Letters, Writings and Statements of Shaheed Bhagat Singh and his Copatriots. Shahid Bhagat Singh Research Committee, Ludhiana. Retrieved 29 October 2011.
- Michael, Saneesh (24 March 2009). "Tisca Chopra : The Dazzling Lady of Bollywood". Oneindia.in. Retrieved 2011-03-09.
- Purvaja Sawant, TNN (2012-06-22). "Theatre Review: Dinner With Friends - Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2013-08-07.
- "Uncensored 'Loknayak' to be screened soon". The Times of India.
- "Jayaprakash Narayan deserved better".
- "Tisca Chopra on Taare Zameen Par". Rediff. 14 May 2007.
- "The Tribune - Magazine section - Windows- This Above All".
- On a roll: Post Taare Zameen Par, expectations have only risen for Tisca Chopra who now plays a key role in Firaaq Indian Express, 20 March 2009.
- Tisca Chopra of Kahani Ghar Ghar Ki and Astitva Ek Prem Kahani Indian Express, 20 December 2004.
- "New York Indian Film Festival 2011". Iaac.us. Retrieved 2013-08-07.
- "Tisca Chopra on a high - Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2013-08-07.
- "'Ankur Arora Murder Case' review: The film hits the conscience". Ibnlive.in.com. Retrieved 2013-08-07.
- Gaurav Malani, TNN. "Ankur Arora Murder Case: Movie Review - Economic Times". Articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2013-08-07.
- Shackleton, Liz (2011-11-25). "Khan, Chopra to head cast of Singh's Qissa | News | Screen". Screendaily.com. Retrieved 2013-08-07.
- "Irrfan, Tillotama win best actors for Qissa in Australia".
- "Theatre | Reviews | Dinner with Friends | Feroz Abbas Khan". Time Out Mumbai. 2012-02-17. Retrieved 2013-08-07.
- "Dinner With Friends play review, English play review". www.MumbaiTheatreGuide.com. Retrieved 2013-08-07.
- Sravasti Datta (2011-08-24). "Supper theatre". The Hindu. Retrieved 2013-08-07.
- Dear Life (2017-02-27), Star Bestsellers short film - Irrfan khan Tisca Chopra Tigmanshu - Ek sham ki mulaqat - episode 1, retrieved 2017-04-12
- want to play a terrorist: Tisca Chopra Sify.com, 15 October 2008.
- "Anil Kapoor's '24' will develop new set of TV audience: Tisca Chopra". Ibnlive.in.com. Retrieved 2013-08-07.
- "Tanishq Solitaires". YouTube. 2012-11-07. Retrieved 2013-08-07.
- "Dish TV Extra Khushi Commercial". YouTube. 2010-08-09. Retrieved 2013-08-07.
- "SRK Tisca, Adoption TVC - DishTV". YouTube. 2009-12-15. Retrieved 2013-08-07.
- "Tisca Chopra - Kellogg's All Bran 2012". YouTube. 2012-08-08. Retrieved 2013-08-07.
- "Kelloggs All bran 30s Hindi.mov". YouTube. 2011-07-29. Retrieved 2013-08-07.
- "Tisca Chopra in Horlicks Gold Commercial". YouTube. 2011-08-19. Retrieved 2013-08-07.
- a b s t r a c t f i l m s (2011-05-10), Olay Tisca Chopra, retrieved 2017-04-12
- "Grandniece Tisca Chopra remembers granduncle Khushwant Singh". IANS. news.biharprabha.com. Retrieved 20 March 2014.
- "Tisca Chopra: I would like the slot of being unslottable". Bollywoodtrade.com. 15 February 2011. Retrieved 2011-03-09.
- "Glamour doesn't matter for Tisca". Times of India. 15 January 2009. Retrieved 2011-03-09.
- "Chutney - Tisca Chopra". YouTube.
- "Chhuri - Tisca Chopra". YouTube.
- Winners of Max Stardust Awards 2008 Archived 10 October 2008 at the Wayback Machine.. Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 9 March 2011.
- "Winners of the Big Star Entertainment Awards 2015". bollywoodhungama. Retrieved 14 December 2015.
- Chauhan, Soumyata. "Chutney review: Tisca Chopra's short film is strangely compelling". Retrieved 2017-04-12.
- "Tisca Chopra's Chutney has left people shocked. The actor reveals why". The Indian Express. 2016-11-27. Retrieved 2017-04-12.
- Nominees - 53rd Annual Filmfare Awards. Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 9 March 2011.
- Nominees for 14th Annual Screen Awards. Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 9 March 2011.
- Nominations for the V. Shantaram Awards 2008. Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 9 March 2011.
- Nominations for the Zee Cine Awards 2008. Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 9 March 2011.
- "Tisca Chopra on a high". The Times of India. Retrieved 2011-07-13.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tisca Chopra.|