Titan the Robot
|Titan the Robot|
|First appearance||Glastonbury Festival (2004)|
|Created by||Nik Fielding|
|Height||8 feet (2.4 m)|
|Weight||60 kilograms (9.4 st)|
|Part of a series on|
Titan the Robot (often referred to as Titan) is a partially-mechanised robot costume developed by the British company Cyberstein Robots. It is approximately 8 feet tall and weighs 60 kg (9.4 st) which increases to 350 kg (55 st) including the cart it rides on and onboard equipment. The face resembles a skull, and some have even compared it to a Transformer.[failed verification] Titan has performed at a variety of public and private events, such as the Commonwealth Games, Bar Mitzvahs UK shopping centres, television fundraisers and live concerts. Entered the Chinese market in 2018 and operated by Tuxuan Robotics.
This section does not cite any sources. (July 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The upper body of Titan is controlled by the operator through the operator panel. The upper part of the operator is located on the costume's chest, where a unidirectional transparent glass window is available for the operator to observe the situation ahead. Titan has a shoulder, arm and head that is higher than the actual performer's head (up to 8 feet in total). The part above its chest is a remote control mechanism. The operator in the body can manipulate the upper part of Titan through the control panel in the chest of the body to complete various instructions. The actions and sounds are pre-programmed and automatically triggered when the corresponding actions and commands are made. Titan can identify the interactive objects through the AI and automatically retrieve interactive samples.
Its lower body is led by the operator. The active joint on the buttocks is wider than the actual actor. The purpose is to make the movement more mechanical. It explains why Titan is so flexible and smooth, so that it is the most advanced in the industry. Robotic walking mechanisms (such as PETMAN by Boston Dynamics, USA and ASIMO by Honda, Japan) are not comparable in terms of motion accuracy.
In addition, the body can also be controlled by an outside assistant, especially when the actor encounters a potential crisis that is unpredictable. An assistant, who observes in the distance, is able to take remote control of the body. (For example, if a child appears in a visual blind zone, the assistant can take over the manipulation to avoid harming the surrounding people).
|2010||ECHO Awards||Performer||Two versions of Titan performed with the international pop star, Rihanna.|
|2010||Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards||Performer||Titan performed on stage again with Rihanna.|
|2010||Daybreak||Performer||Titan appeared on Daybreak's "Cool before School" feature.|
|2013||Germany's Next Topmodel||Performer||Titan appeared on German television (Pro7) for the eighth cycle of Germany's Next Topmodel.|
|2014||Big Brother UK||Performer||Titan the robot appeared on the 11th series of Big Brother in the UK as part of the 'Man v Machine' task.|
This section has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Glastonbury Festival, held on 25–27 June near Pilton, Somerset, England. The first public appearance of Titan.
- 7–11 April – The Gadget Show Live. Titan was used for comedy purposes during the annual "The Gadget Show Live Super Theatre" shows at the NEC in Birmingham.
- 2 December – JLS. Titan joined a 40-day tour with JLS, appearing on stage to the track "Superhero".
- The Gadget Show. Cyberstein confirmed on Facebook page that Titan will be used in an episode of The Gadget Show 11th series. In photos it is believed that it is in a sketch with Suzi Perry and Jason Bradbury.
- 15–17 April – The Gadget Show Live. Titan was also used at The Gadget Show Live as a feature in the super theater. There were also two other Titan robots that looked like the original. These were believed to be called Titan 2 and Titan 3.
- 10 November – Natholdet, Danish TV2. While in Denmark for the BEEP gadget expo, Titan visited the Danish late night talk show, Natholdet, where it was to pick the winner of a drawing contest. However, Titan struggled with taking its hand down in the bowl, as its hands were too big and was told to leave the stage after several attempts.
- 3-7 April - The Gadget Show Live, NEC Birmingham
- 19 September – Professional Recovery Tow Show, Telford
- 31 October–1 November – Microsoft Future Decoded
- Butlins. Titan appears at all Butlins resorts in the UK. Titan arrives being carried on a mini mobility scooter and then puts on a performance in the magic circle after Dave turns him on.
- 15 July – Nissan Family Fun Day to celebrate 30 years of Nissan Technical Centre Europe
- 15–19 April – 2018 Chinese Grand Prix, Shanghai. Titan performed for four days.
- 5–10 November – China International Import Expo, Shanghai. Titan was exhibited at the UK Pavilion.
- 17 November – The Royal Town of Sutton Coldfield Christmas lights, where Titan turned on the town's Christmas lights.
- Titan returned to Butlins in 2019 on selected breaks and school holidays after a 2 year break from the resorts.
- Titan performed at RAF Cosford Air Show in Shropshire on the 9th of June 2019.
- "Titan the Robot creator Nik Fielding on his eight foot tall PR magnet". blooloop.com. 23 February 2017. Retrieved 13 March 2019.
- "Wanted: replacement robot". The Times. 15 February 2007. Archived from the original on 16 February 2007. Retrieved 22 June 2009.
- "Cyberstein Robots Ltd. official site". Cyberstein. Archived from the original on 6 September 2008. Retrieved 22 June 2009.
- "Cyberstein and Titan". newsubstance-artists.co.uk. Archived from the original on 24 June 2006. Retrieved 22 June 2009.
- "TITAN the Robot makes his debut at the Brewery!". The Brewery, Cheltenham. Archived from the original on 21 April 2013. Retrieved 22 June 2009.
- "Video: Rihanna Makes Out with a Robot". Rap-Up. 4 March 2010. Retrieved 18 March 2010.
- "Rihanna at Berlin Echo Awards". The Sun. 6 March 2010. Retrieved 5 April 2010.
- Kirby, Dean (24 February 2009). "Robot steals the show". Manchester Evening News. Retrieved 13 December 2018.
- "Titan trækker vejrtegning i Natholdet" (in Danish). TV 2 Beep. 11 November 2011 – via YouTube.
- Gregory, Paul (3 September 2013). "Titan the Robot to appear at the Tow Show!". RecoveryTowShow.co.uk. Retrieved 13 March 2019.
- "Events at the BT Young Scientist Exhibition 2015". 11 January 2015.
- "Chinese F1 Grand Prix - Shanghai, China - 2018". TitanTheRobot.com. 15 April 2018. Retrieved 13 March 2019.
- "British firms secure £2 billion of deals at Expo in Shanghai". gov.uk. 12 November 2018. Retrieved 13 March 2019.