Titanic: The Complete Story
This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Titanic: Death of a Dream |
re-released as: Titanic: The Complete Story
|Directed by||Melissa Jo Peltier|
|Written by||Melissa Jo Peltier|
|Narrated by||David McCallum|
|Edited by||Yann Debonne|
|200 minutes (in four parts)|
Titanic: The Complete Story is an American documentary chronicling the story of the ocean liner RMS Titanic which sank on its maiden voyage in 1912. It is a compilation of a four-hour documentary special produced by A&E Television Networks in 1994. A&E Home Video originally sold the entire documentary in a 4-tape VHS set. It is considered by many critics and historians to be the definitive documentary regarding the Titanic.
The documentary is narrated by actor David McCallum (who played survivor Harold Bride in the film A Night to Remember) and begins with a quote from first-class passenger Jack Thayer, about how the world's mindset was forever altered by the sinking. Rare interviews with some of the few remaining Titanic survivors, including Edith Brown, Eva Hart, Ruth Becker (who had already died in 1990), Millvina Dean, and Michel Marcel Navratil; discussions with leading historical authorities on the sinking, including Charles Haas, John Eaton, Ken Marschall, Don Lynch and Robert Ballard; and excerpts from survivor's writings and newspaper articles accompany McCallum's telling of the story.
The documentary is presented in two parts:
Titanic: Death of a Dream
The first half, Titanic: Death of a Dream, encapsulates the first two hours. It tells the story of the RMS Titanic's origins, from its conception and construction, to its maiden voyage, leading up to the initial collision with the iceberg that would ultimately sink the ship.
Titanic: The Legend Lives On
The second half, Titanic: The Legend Lives On, concentrates on the ship's sinking, its immediate aftermath, and its discovery in 1985 by Dr. Robert Ballard, along with Titanic's continuing legacy.
- David McCallum as Narrator
- Millvina Dean ... Titanic survivor
- Edith Haisman ... Titanic survivor
- Dot Kendle ... Daughter of Edith Brown Haisman
- Eva Hart ... Titanic survivor
- Ruth Becker Blanchard ... Titanic survivor
- Wyn Wade ... Author
- Michael McCaughan ... Ulster Folk and Transport Museum (curator of maritime history)
- Walter Lord ... Author
- Ken Marschall ... Historian, artist
- John P. Eaton ... Author
- Charles A. Haas ... Author
- Frances John Parkinson Jr. ... Son of Titanic woodworker
- Don Lynch ... Historian, author
- Donald Hyslop ... First Southampton City Council (senior oral historian)
- Brian Ticehurst ... British Titanic Society
- Edward S. Kamuda ... British Titanic Society (founder and president)
- George Behe ... Titanic Historical Society (vice-president), historian, author
- Michel 'Momon' Navratil ... Titanic survivor
- Leslie Harrison ... Author
- Stanley Tutton Lord ... Son of Stanley Phillip Lord, captain of SS Californian
- Dr. Robert Ballard ... Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, Center for Marine Exploration (director)
- Jean-Louise Michel ... IFREMER (engineer)
- Arnie Geller ... RMS Titanic, Inc.
- George Tulloch ... RMS Titanic, Inc.
- Paul-Henri Nargeoleet ... IFREMER (commander)
- Dr. Stephen Deucher ... National Maritime Museum (head of exhibitions)
Awards & nominations
- 1995, Nominated for 1995 CableACE Award for "Editing a Documentary Special or Series"
- 1994, Won News & Documentary Emmy Awards 1994 for "Outstanding Achievement in a Craft in News and Documentary Programming"
- Jacobson, Colin (March 5, 2012). "Review: Titanic: The Complete Story (1994)". DVD Magazine. Retrieved October 8, 2017.