The term originates from Titian, an Italian painter who would often depict women with red hair of this description. Titian has been used as a hair color term in the United States as early as the 1800s, when women were commonly using henna to dye their hair a Titian color.
Titian is commonly misused as a synonym for hair colors with similar definitions or hues of color.
Titian hair is frequently mistaken with what is called Venetian hair due to similar definitions and origins. Definitions of Venetian hair describe it as being reddish and golden in quality, but the distinction between the two is that Titian is a golden-brown, and Venetian a golden-yellow. The two are also often referred to as Titian-red and Venetian-blond, respectively, to emphasize the distinction. The origins of the formulas to create these hair colors by dyeing are also the same. As the Venetian women had more methods to lighten their hair, the term Venetian has become specifically associated with the blond variety.
The term Titian is sometimes misapplied to auburn hair. While Titian hair is a brownish shade of red hair, auburn hair is a brownish shade of hair encompassing the actual color red. Most definitions of Titian hair describe it as a brownish-orange color, but some describe it as being reddish. This is in reference to red hair itself, not the color red.
Characters in popular culture with Titian hair
- Nancy Drew, titular character of the mystery fiction series of books, was described as and depicted with Titian hair from 1959 to 1960. Her hair has since varied in shades, including Venetian.
- Midge, the Barbie doll, has Titian hair. From 1961 until 1967, Mattel offered Titian hair for dolls, with Midge being the staple for the variant. Midge's packaging illustration featured this hair color, while the original Barbie character was typically given blonde hair.
- Magenta, of 1975's The Rocky Horror Picture Show, has Titian hair.
- Dana Scully, from The X-Files, has naturally Titian hair, as confirmed by Chris Carter, the show's creator, on Reddit in 2014. Scully was seen with this shade in earlier seasons of the series before being shown with a more fiery, dyed shade of red hair in later years.
- Princess Daisy, from the Mario series of video games, has been depicted with Titian hair since her appearance in Mario Tennis in the year 2000.
- Kim Possible, the title character of the Disney Channel series, which ran from 2002 to 2007, has Titian hair.
- Princess Sofia, from the 2012 Disney Junior series, Sofia the First, has Titian hair.
- Princess Anna of Disney's 2013 animated feature film Frozen, has Titian hair on-screen; Anna is sometimes depicted with Venetian hair, as well.
- "Titian" in the Merriam-Webster Dictionary
- Sutherland, Daniel E. "The Expansion of Everyday Life, 1860-1876". University of Arkansas Press. Retrieved 29 October 2013.
- Browne, Kreiser, Ray Broadus, Lawrence A. "The Civil War and Reconstruction". Greenwood Publishing Group. Retrieved 29 October 2013.
- Sherrow, Victoria. "Encyclopedia of Hair: A Cultural History". Greenwood Publishing Group. Retrieved 29 October 2013.
- "Titian" in The Free Dictionary
- "Titian" on Dictionary.com
- Plunkett-Powell (1993), 48.
- Caent, Emily. "THE HISTORY OF TITIAN BARBIES". Zala. Retrieved 23 March 2017.
- Chris Carter AMA Reddit 2014