||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (March 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Birth name||Humberto Nieves|
|Also known as||El Pavarotti de la Salsa|
|Born||June 4, 1958|
|Origin||Río Piedras, Puerto Rico|
Born in Río Piedras, Puerto Rico and raised in the United States, Nieves began his career while participating in Orquesta Cimarron, a New York-based group. In 1977, he teamed up with singer Héctor Lavoe and his Orchestra and joined the Conjunto Clasico. Later, Nieves decided to start his solo career in 1986, setting himself apart by singing Salsa in English. He is known for his hits such as El Amor Más Bonito, Sonámbulo, and the English-salsa hit, I Like It Like That (1996). Present hits from the album Fabricando Fantasias include Fabricando Fantasias and Ya No Queda Nada with La India, Nicky Jam, and K-Mil. He attended Xaverian High School in Brooklyn, New York, where he played in a Spanish-language band named Makondo. Though he left before graduating, he was given an honorary diploma in 1994.
In 2007, he released Canciones Clasicas De Marco Antonio Solís, a tribute to Mexican singer, Marco Antonio Solís.
Tito Nieves is currently separated from Irma Nieves. Irma filed for a divorce in Orange County, Florida in August 2012. Tito has two boys, Ommy Nieves, and Humberto Nieves, Jr. Ommy died of bone cancer at the age of 24.
Solo albums and projects
- The Classic (RMM 1988)
- Yo Quiero Cantar (RMM 1989)
- Déjame Vivir (RMM 1991)
- Mambo King 100th LP - Tito Puente (RMM 1991) - track "Nuestro Amor"
- Rompecabeza - The Puzzle (RMM 1993)
- Perfecta Combinacion - Familia RMM (RMM 1993) - track "Tu Por Aqui Y Yo Por Alla" with Tony Vega
- I Like It Like That Soundtrack Vol. 2 (Sony Discos 1994) - track "I Like It" with The Blackout All-Stars
- Dicen Que Soy - India (RMM 1994) - track "No Me Conviene" with India
- Un Tipo Común (RMM 1995)
- Recordando a Selena - Familia RMM (RMM 1996) - track "No Me Queda Mas"
- Tribute to the Beatles - Familia RMM (RMM 1996) - track "Let It Be" with Tito Puente
- De Todo Un Poco - Ray Sepulveda (RMM 1997) - track "La Dama De Mis Amores" with Ray Sepulveda
- I Like It Like That (RMM 1997)
- Serie Cristal Greatest Hits (RMM 1997)
- Dale Cara A La Vida (RMM 1998)
- The Sir George Collection (Sir George/WEA Latina 1998) - track "I Like It"
- Clase Aparte (RMM 1999)
- Asi Mismo Fue (RMM 2000)
- En Otra Onda (WEA Latina 2001)
- Arjona Tropical (Sony Discos 2001) - track "Tu Reputacion"
- Muy Agradecido (WEA Latina 2002)
- Temptation - Brenda K. Starr (Sony Discos 2002) - track "Por Ese Hombre" with Brenda K. Starr & Victor Manuelle
- 25° Aniversario con Conjunto Clasico (WEA Latina 2003)
- Fabricando Fantasías (SGZ 2004)
- Edicion Especial - Ismael Miranda (SGZ 2005) - track "Eterno Nino Bonito" with Gilberto Santa Rosa & Ismael Miranda
- Hoy, Mañana, y Siempre (SGZ 2005)
- Soy Diferente - India (SGZ 2006) - track "No Es Lo Mismo" with India
- Canciones Clasicas De Marco Antonio Solís (La Calle 2007)
- En Vivo (La Calle 2007)
- Dos Canciones Clasicas De Marco Antonio Solís (Machete/Universal 2008)
- Entre Familia (ZMG 2010)
- Mi Última Grabación (TNM 2011)
- Que Seas Feliz (Top Stop 2012)
- Mis Mejores Recuerdos (Top Stop 2013)
- En Dos Idiomas (Top Stop 2015)
- Broughton, Simon; Ellingham, Mark; Trillo, Richard (2000). World Music: Latin and North America, Caribbean, India, Asia and Pacific. Rough Guides. pp. 505–. ISBN 9781858286365. Retrieved 1 June 2012.