Tiyas Military Airbase
Tiyas Military Airbase
|Airport type||Military air base|
|Owner||Syrian Armed Forces|
|Operator||Syrian Arab Air Force|
|Location||Tiyas, Homs Governorate|
The Tiyas Military Airbase is the largest airbase in Syria.
During the 1970s and 1980s, the Soviet Union was given access to the Tiyas Air Base for the periodic deployment of naval aircraft.
In December 2016, the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) attacked the airbase a day after overrunning pro-government forces in nearby Palmyra. ISIL claimed to have destroyed four Syrian military aircraft during their attack on the airbase.
The base was struck again on 9 April 2018 by multiple missiles, it was not immediately clear who was behind the attack however U.S officials denied launching any air attack on Syria. The Russian Defense Ministry claimed it was another attack by the Israeli Air Force. The Syrian air defence units have shot down five of the eight guided missiles, the Russian military said further.
It has been reported that the April 2018 attack on the base destroyed a hangar used to shelter drones and an Iranian supplied anti-aircraft Tor missile system, before it could be set up and become fully operational.
- "Fortress T4: An Airbase at War - bellingcat". Bellingcat. 29 June 2015. Retrieved 9 April 2018.
- Gross, Judah (10 February 2018). "IDF accuses Iran of setting up air base outside Syrian city of Palmyra". The Times of Israel. Retrieved 9 April 2018.
- Persio, Sofia Lotto (12 December 2016). "After retaking control of Palmyra, Islamic State targets Tiyas airbase". International Business Times UK. International Business Times UK. Retrieved 9 April 2018.
- "Syria says air defences responding to 'new Israeli aggression'". Reuters. Reuters. 10 February 2018. Retrieved 9 April 2018.
- "Strikes hit Syrian airfield - reports". BBC News. 9 April 2018. Retrieved 9 April 2018.
- "2 Israeli warplanes carried out strikes on Syrian airbase – Russian MoD". RT International. RT International. Retrieved 9 April 2018.
- Nissenbaum, Dion; Jones, Rory (17 April 2018). "Israel Conferred With U.S. on Strike in Syria to Target Iranian War Gear". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 18 April 2018.
- "Revealed: Israel 'Struck Advanced Iranian Air-defense System' in Syria". Haaretz. 18 April 2018. Retrieved 19 April 2018.
- "Report: Israel targeted advanced Iranian air defense system in Syria strike". Times of Israel. Retrieved 19 April 2018.
- Pike, John. "Syrian Arab Air Force - Order of Battle". Global Security. Retrieved 9 April 2018.