To Be with You
|"To Be with You"|
|Single by Mr. Big|
|from the album Lean into It|
|B-side||"Green-Tinted Sixties Mind"|
|Released||December 21, 1991 (US)|
|Format||Cassette, CD single, CD maxi, 7" single|
1990 Rumbo Recorders, Canoga Park, CA|
Cherokee Studios, Hollywood, CA
|Songwriter(s)||Eric Martin, David Grahame|
|Mr. Big singles chronology|
"To Be with You" is a soft rock ballad by American hard rock band Mr. Big. It was released in late 1991 as the second single from their second album, Lean into It. The song first charted on December 21, 1991, appearing in the U.S. Billboard Hot 100. It rose in the charts in over 20 countries, reaching number one in the U.S. It also reached a peak of number three in the UK.
Background and writing
The song was written and composed by Eric Martin during his teen years, with guitarist Paul Gilbert contributing to its melodic arrangements later on. Writing credit is also given to David Grahame, a songwriter working for the label at the time.
While in Gilbert's apartment at Yucca Street in L.A., he and Martin were laying out their compositions. Martin had a ballad called "To Be with You". Gilbert had his psychedelic rock song called "Green Tinted Sixties Mind". Both felt the two songs were strong enough to be included in their upcoming album, despite it being purely rock; and true enough, these songs remained throughout the course of their career as a group and as solo artists.
"To Be with You" is about a man who has his eye on a woman who recently experienced a broken heart from a previous relationship. When Martin was a sophomore in high school, he was friends with his older sister's friend (who was a senior). She would give him rides to school and tell him about all the boy problems she had. Martin had a huge crush on her, but didn't tell her since he knew a senior would never go out with a sophomore. Martin wrote this song about her.
- Eric Martin - lead vocals
- Paul Gilbert - acoustic guitar, handclaps, backing vocals
- Billy Sheehan - bass guitar, handclaps, bass drum, backing vocals
- Pat Torpey - tambourine, bass drum, handclaps, backing vocals
Formats and track listings
- 7" single
- "To Be with You" (LP Version) (3:27)
- "Green-Tinted Sixties Mind" (LP Version) (3:30)
- 12" maxi
- "To Be with You"
- "A Little Too Loose" (Live)
- "The Drill Song (Daddy, Brother, Lover, Little Boy)" (Live)
- "Alive and Kickin'" (Live)
- CD maxi
- "To Be with You" (3:27)
- "Green-Tinted Sixties Mind" (3:30)
- "Alive and Kickin'" (5:28)
|United States||November 25, 1991|
|United Kingdom||January 1, 1992|
- Popoff, Martin (2014). The Big Book of Hair Metal. Voyageur Press. p. 202. ISBN 9781627883757.
- Bronson, Fred (2003). The Billboard Book of Number One Hits. Billboard Books. p. 814. ISBN 9780823076772.
- Billboard Billboard.com (Retrieved April 7, 2008)
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2009-02-11. Retrieved 2009-04-20.
- Mr. Big artist videography mvdbase.com
- "Australian-charts.com – Mr. Big – To Be with You". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Austriancharts.at – Mr. Big – To Be with You" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – Mr. Big – To Be with You" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Item Display - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". collectionscanada.gc.ca. Retrieved 16 August 2015.
- Nyman, Jake (2005). Suomi soi 4: Suuri suomalainen listakirja (in Finnish) (1st ed.). Helsinki: Tammi. ISBN 951-31-2503-3.
- "Lescharts.com – Mr. Big – To Be with You" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Musicline.de – Mr. Big Single-Chartverfolgung" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- Irish Single Chart Irishcharts.ie (Retrieved April 7, 2008)
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Mr. Big" (in Dutch). Dutch Top 40.
- "Charts.nz – Mr. Big – To Be with You". Top 40 Singles.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Mr. Big – To Be with You". VG-lista.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Mr. Big – To Be with You". Singles Top 100.
- "Swisscharts.com – Mr. Big – To Be with You". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "1992 Australian Singles Chart". aria. Retrieved 14 April 2010.
- "1992 Austrian Singles Chart" (in German). Austriancharts. Archived from the original on 12 June 2009. Retrieved 14 April 2010.
- "Single top 100 over 1992" (pdf) (in Dutch). Top40. Retrieved 14 April 2010.
- "1992 Swiss Singles Chart" (in German). Swisscharts. Retrieved 14 April 2010.
- "Billboard Top 100 - 1992". Archived from the original on 2010-01-17. Retrieved 2010-07-30.
- Geoff Mayfield (December 25, 1999). 1999 The Year in Music Totally '90s: Diary of a Decade - The listing of Top Pop Albums of the '90s & Hot 100 Singles of the '90s. Billboard. Retrieved October 15, 2010.
- "Certification for every country in the world" (PDF). IFPI. Archived from the original (pdf) on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 14 April 2010.
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank ('To Be with You')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie. Retrieved 14 April 2010.
- "Japan certifications". RIAJ. Retrieved 6 September 2015.
- "Dutch certifications, database". Nvpi. Retrieved 14 April 2010.
- "Swedish certification, award". Paul Gilbert. Archived from the original on 26 June 2017. Retrieved 26 June 2017. (archived)
- "U.S. certifications". Riaa. Archived from the original on 26 June 2007. Retrieved 14 April 2010.