To Cut a Long Story Short
This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|"To Cut a Long Story Short"|
|Single by Spandau Ballet|
|from the album Journeys to Glory|
|B-side||"To Cut a Long Story Short" (instrumental)|
|Released||3 November 1980|
|Genre||New wave, synthpop|
|Length||3:20 (single version)|
6:30 (12-inch version)
|Producer(s)||Richard James Burgess|
|Spandau Ballet singles chronology|
Allmusic described the single as minimalist "spiky synth pop" with a style reminiscent of early Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark material, and featuring a "dirty, overdriven synth sound and a stomping Gary Glitter-like backbeat". Though largely forgotten today, due to Spandau Ballet's later change in style towards a slick, soul-pop (which occurred around 1983), the reviewer considers that it might fairly be considered "a minor lost classic of the early-'80s U.K. synth pop scene".
Inspiration, meaning and use as sample
The song has been speculated to be about a veteran, perhaps of Vietnam, who is drafted and suffers from PTSD; the lyrics are told from the man's point of view as a boy being drafted, how he gets no answers as to why he must join the war. "To Cut a Long Story Short" was Vince Clarke's inspiration to write Depeche Mode's "Just Can't Get Enough", to which the keyboard style bears a certain similarity.
Formats and track listings
- 7" single
- "To Cut a Long Story Short" — 3:20
- "To Cut a Long Story Short" (Instrumental) — 3:20
- 12" single
- "To Cut a Long Story Short" (Mix 1) — 6:30
- "To Cut a Long Story Short" (Mix 2) — 3:56
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 518. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- Stewart Mason. "To Cut a Long Story Short - Spandau Ballet | Song Info". AllMusic. Retrieved 2016-10-17.
- "Spandau Ballet - To Cut A Long Story Short Lyrics". SongMeanings. Retrieved 2016-10-17.
- "Just Can't Get Enough by Depeche Mode Songfacts". Songfacts.com. 2005-11-08. Retrieved 2016-10-17.
- "Freestylers's 'In Love With You' sample of Spandau Ballet's 'To Cut a Long Story Short'". WhoSampled.com. Retrieved 2016-10-17.
- Official music video
- Video of the song performed on UK TV's Top of The Pops (mediocre quality recording but shows the distinctive dress sense of the band at that time)
|This 1980s single-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|