To SquarePants or Not to SquarePants
|"To SquarePants or Not to SquarePants"|
|SpongeBob SquarePants episode|
|Episode no.||Season 6
Episode 16 (116b)
|Directed by||Alan Smart (animation and supervising)
Luke Brookshier (storyboard)
Nate Cash (storyboard)
|Written by||Luke Brookshier
|Produced by||Paul Tibbitt (supervising)|
|Original air date||July 17, 2009|
|Running time||11 minutes|
"To SquarePants or Not to SquarePants", also known as "To SquarePants or Not to", is the 9th episode of the sixth season and the 109th overall episode of the American animated television series SpongeBob SquarePants. It originally aired on Nickelodeon in the United States on July 17, 2009.
The series follows the adventures and endeavors of the title character and his various friends in the underwater city of Bikini Bottom. In this episode, SpongeBob's pants have shrunk in the dryer. Unable to find a new pair, he tries round pants, but no one seems to recognizes him as SpongeBob RoundPants.
The episode's animation was directed by supervising director, Alan Smart, and was written by Luke Brookshier, Nate Cash, and Steven Banks. On July 21, 2009, the DVD version of the episode was released. Upon release, the episode received positive reviews.
It is laundry day, and SpongeBob is drying a whole load of his "square pants". But while all his pants are in the dryer, SpongeBob gets distracted by Patrick who wants SpongeBob to hear him make funny sounds with his tongue for a long time. Eventually, SpongeBob goes to check on his pants which all shrunk in the dryer; he heads to the mall to buy new pairs. Upon hearing there will not be another shipping of "square pants" for months, SpongeBob tries out several different styles of pants at the mall until he finally chooses a pair of "round pants".
SpongeBob wanders around town and Patrick is unable to recognize him because of the new pants, SpongeBob is greeted by Sandy who teases SpongeBob by pretending she does not recognize him and makes comments about his clothes in a good way. SpongeBob sees Squidward who also pretends he does not know him. SpongeBob heads home, although Patrick does not let him in because the house belongs to SpongeBob SquarePants before he "left".
Feeling discouraged by the idea nobody knows who he is, SpongeBob decides to start a new life as "SpongeBob RoundPants", to which he decides to re-apply to his job at the Krusty Krab. When he meets Squidward at the restaurant, SpongeBob acts as if this is his first time applying at the Krusty Krab and has never met Squidward before. Squidward decides to take advantage of this by training SpongeBob to act like him, a horrible employee, in hopes SpongeBob will later get fired. After a series of complaints from the customers, Mr. Krabs confronts SpongeBob for his lousy work, to which SpongeBob explains since he has new pants, he is no longer "SpongeBob SquarePants". Mr. Krabs then convinces SpongeBob he should take his pants off then. SpongeBob, no longer wearing pants, then continues to be his normal self and go back to being a good employee. When Sandy comes in seeing SpongeBob in his underwear, however, she (teasingly) calls him "SpongeBob UnderPants", SpongeBob looks at his underwear and screams, ending the episode.
"To SquarePants or Not to SquarePants" was written by Luke Brookshier, Nate Cash, and Steven Banks, and the animation was directed by supervising director, Alan Smart. Brookshier and Cash also functioned as storyboard directors. The episode originally aired on Nickelodeon in the United States on July 17, 2009, with a TV-Y7 parental rating.
The episode was a part of the network's tenth anniversary celebration of SpongeBob SquarePants. Starting July 17, 2009 at 8:00 pm EDT, Nickelodeon aired a 50-hour SpongeBob marathon titled "The Ultimate SpongeBob SpongeBash Weekend". The marathon started with the premiere of "To SquarePants or Not to SquarePants" at 8 pm.
On July 21, 2009, the episode became available on the DVD compilation of the same name, along with fellow sixth season episodes "Squid's Visit", "The Splinter", "Slide Whistle Stooges", "Boating Buddies", "The Krabby Kronicle", "The Slumber Party", and "Grooming Gary". "To SquarePants or Not to SquarePants" was also released on the series' season six DVD compilation.
The episode and its DVD release received positive reviews. Paul Mavis of DVD Talk positively responded to the episode and wrote that "There are laughs in 'To SquarePants or Not to SquarePants.'" Gordon Sullivan of DVD Verdict gave the episode a score of 5 out of 10 and said "[the episode] was one of the slighter entries [on the DVD], with the core joke being fairly well-handled with no one recognizing SpongeBob, but it went on just a little too long. April Pohren of the Blogcritics said "[the episode] is original and comical."
- "o SquarePants or Not to SquarePants". Zap2it. Retrieved July 19, 2013.
- Alan Smart (Director) (July 21, 2009). To SquarePants or Not to SquarePants (DVD). United States: Nickelodeon.
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Season 6, Vol. 1 ("To SquarePants or Not to SquarePants" credits) (DVD). United States: Paramount Home Entertainment/Nickelodeon. December 8, 2009.
- Liu, Ed (June 25, 2009). "Nickelodeon Announces Special Programming for SpongeBob SquarePants 10th Anniversary" (Press release). Toonzone. Retrieved July 19, 2013.
- "Nickelodeon Celebrates 10 Years of Pop Culture Icon SpongeBob SquarePants" (Press release). PR Newswire. June 24, 2009. Retrieved July 19, 2013.
- Bubbeo, Daniel (July 9, 2009). "SpongeBob celebrates 10 years of nautical nonsense". News Day. Retrieved July 20, 2013.
- McLean, Thomas J. (June 25, 2009). "Nick Hosts Special SpongeBob Anniversary Weekend". Animation. Retrieved July 20, 2013.
- "Nickelodeon to roll out 'Ultimate SpongeBob SpongeBash Weekend'". IndianTelevision.com. June 26, 2009. Retrieved July 20, 2013.
- Zahed, Ramin (July 24, 2009). "Soaking in Festivities". Animation. Retrieved July 19, 2013.
- Lambert, David (April 21, 2009). "SpongeBob SquarePants - To SquarePants or Not to SquarePants Debuts in July's 100-ep Marathon, Then on DVD". TVShowsOnDVD.com. Retrieved July 20, 2013.
- Mavis, Paul (July 17, 2009). "SpongeBob SquarePants: To SquarePants or Not to SquarePants". DVD Talk. Retrieved May 5, 2013.
- Lambert, David (April 21, 2009). "SpongeBob SquarePants - To SquarePants or Not to SquarePants Debuts in July's 100-ep Marathon, Then on DVD". TV Shows on DVD. Retrieved May 5, 2013.
- "To Squarepants Or Not To Squarepants DVD Review Read more: To Squarepants Or Not To Squarepants DVD Review". Kidz World. August 19, 2009. Retrieved May 5, 2013.
- Mavis, Paul (December 7, 2009). "SpongeBob SquarePants: Season 6, Volume 1". DVD Talk. Retrieved July 19, 2013.
- Sullivan, Gordon (July 27, 2009). "Spongebob Squarepants: To Squarepants Or Not To Squarepants". DVD Verdict. Retrieved July 19, 2013.
- Pohren, April (September 17, 2009). "DVD Review: SpongeBob SquarePants - To SquarePants or Not to SquarePants". Blog Critics. Retrieved May 5, 2013.
- Banks, Steven; Miller, Victoria H. (2009). SpongeBob RoundPants. Charlotte, NC: Baker & Taylor. ISBN 978-1442-0192-32.