To the Fore
|To the Fore|
|Directed by||Dante Lam|
|Starring||Eddie Peng |
|Countries||Hong Kong |
|Box office||US$23.21 million (China domestic gross only)|
To the Fore (traditional Chinese: 破風; simplified Chinese: 破风) is a 2015 Hong Kong-Chinese sports drama film filmed in Taiwan and other countries (including China, Korea, Mongolia and Switzerland), directed by Dante Lam, and starring Eddie Peng, Shawn Dou, Choi Siwon and Wang Luodan. The film was released on August 6, 2015 in Hong Kong and Singapore, and August 7, 2015 in Taiwan, China and the United States. The film was selected as the Hong Kong entry for the Best Foreign Language Film at the 88th Academy Awards but it was neither shortlisted nor nominated.
The story is about Jiu Ming (Eddie Peng) and Qiu Tian (Shawn Dou), who have recently joined a Taiwan Category III cycling team called Radiant. They compete in domestic and international continental road races. After some time, the team has to break up because it doesn't have sufficient money to continue operations. The members disperse to different teams.
To the Fore was nominated and won the awards of Outstanding Film at 2016 annual China Huabiao Film Awards, one of the three main film awards in mainland China. It was also nominated for Best Cinematography and Best Film Editing at the Hong Kong Film Awards in 2016; and for Best Editing at the Golden Rooster Awards in 2017.
Reviewer Maggie Lee of Variety wrote that "Pakie Chan's lensing captures peloton formations and breakneck sprints from dynamic angles, while the aerial photography by Tsai Chia-ling highlights Taiwan’s lush, mountainous landscapes."
Awards and nominations
|31st Golden Rooster Awards||Best Editing||Nominated|||
- List of submissions to the 88th Academy Awards for Best Foreign Language Film
- List of Hong Kong submissions for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film
- "Weekly box office > China Week 33 08/17 - 08/23/2015". entgroup.cn. Archived from the original on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2015-08-25.
- "Film Review: 'To the Fore'". Variety. 2015-08-06. Retrieved 2015-08-08.
- "To the Fung Movie Review". by Tiffany Yong
- "To the Fore Release Info". IMDb. Retrieved 2016-05-18.
- Frater, Patrick (21 September 2015). "Hong Kong Selects 'To The Fore' as Oscar Contender". Variety. Retrieved 21 September 2015.
- Chu, Karen (21 September 2015). "Oscars: Hong Kong Picks 'To the Fung' for Foreign-Language Category". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 21 September 2015.
- "金鸡奖提名：《潘金莲》领跑 范冰冰周冬雨再争影后". ifeng (in Chinese). August 16, 2017.