|Industry||Point of sale|
|Headquarters||Boston, Massachusetts, U.S.|
|Products||Cloud-based point of sale systems for restaurants and bars|
|Revenue||US$1.7 billion (2021)|
|US$−228 million (2021)|
|US$−487 million (2021)|
|Total assets||US$1.7 billion (2021)|
|Total equity||US$1.1 billion (2021)|
Number of employees
|3,172 (Dec 2021)|
|Footnotes / references|
Toast, Inc. is a cloud-based restaurant management software company based in Boston, Massachusetts. The company provides an all-in-one point of sale (POS) system built on the Android operating system.
In February 2020, Toast received $400 million in a round of Series F funding including Bessemer Venture Partners and TPG, at a valuation of $4.9 billion. As of March 2022[update], Toast is used in approximately 62,000 US restaurants.
Toast's founders—Steve Fredette, Aman Narang, and Jonathan Grimm—initially created a consumer app centered for mobile payments, customer loyalty, promotions, and social aspects that integrated with restaurants’ existing POS systems.
In November 2020, Toast has a secondary sale that valued the company at around $8 billion, despite laying off half of its employees in April. On September 22, 2021, Toast went public with an initial public offering under the stock symbol TOST. The company offered shares at $40 initially, with a market capitalization of roughly $20 billion, making it one of 2021's largest American IPOs.
First launched in March 2020, Toast's restaurant management system operates on the Android operating system and includes four devices: Flex (a terminal available in single-screen, guest-facing and kitchen displays), Tap (a three-in-one payment processing device that supports contactless payments), Toast Hub, and receipt printer.
- Farrell, Michael (September 22, 2013). "Cambridge firm is fertile ground for entrepreneurs". Boston Globe.
- "Toast, Inc. 2021 Annual Report (Form 10-K)". U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. 1 March 2022.
- Chernova, Yuliya (2020-02-14). "Payments Tech Provider Toast Raises $400 Million at $4.9 Billion Valuation". Wall Street Journal. ISSN 0099-9660. Retrieved 2020-02-20.
- "Software Maker Toast Raises Funds at $4.9 Billion Valuation". Bloomberg.com. 2020-02-14. Retrieved 2020-09-09.
- "Toast Inc. Q1 2022 Quarterly Report (Form 10-Q)". SEC.gov. U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. May 13, 2022. p. 20.
- Kirsner, Scott (December 26, 2012). "Testing out Toast, new mobile app that helps diners keep an eye on the tab". Boston.com.
- "Letter From the CEO on COVID-19 Impact | Toast POS". pos.toasttab.com.
- Levy, Ari (2020-11-24). "Restaurant tech start-up Toast soars to $8 billion valuation seven months after cutting half its staff". CNBC. Retrieved 2020-11-24.
- Grothaus, Michael (2021-09-22). "Toast IPO: the restaurant software maker's TOST shares debut on the NYSE today". Fast Company. Retrieved 2021-09-22.
- Megaw, Nicholas; Kruppa, mILES (22 September 2021). "Toast whets appetite for consumer IPOs with $20bn stock market debut". Retrieved 22 September 2021.
- Natalie Gagliordi (March 3, 2020). "POS maker Toast launches dedicated hardware suite based on Android". ZD Net. Retrieved June 9, 2022.
- Conti, Katheleen (May 19, 2016). "New England startups honored by venture capital group". The Boston Globe.
- "Toast, Inc. Review". Better Business Bureau.
- Official website
- Business data for Toast, Inc.: