Tobias Churton (born 1960) is a British scholar of Rosicrucianism, Freemasonry, Gnosticism, and other esoteric movements. He is lecturer at Exeter University, and author of Gnostic Philosophy, The Magus of Freemasonry, and Freemasonry and numerous other works on esotericism.
Churton has made several television programmes, including Gnostics, a 4-part drama-documentary series made for Channel 4 (UK) by Border TV (together with an accompanying book) which was broadcast in 1987 and repeated in 1990. Churton's studies include critique of heresiologists' perceptions on the role of women in these "unorthodox" Christian movements.
Churton's biography of Aleister Crowley was released in 2011. Subsequently, he has published two more biographical volumes on Crowley - The Beast in Berlin and Aleister Crowley in America. He is currently writing a book about Crowley's years in India.
- Pagan Every Day: Finding the Extraordinary in Our Ordinary Lives - p180 Barbara Ardinger - 2007 "As we know from the work of Elaine Pagels, Tobias Churton, and other scholars, Gnosticism was a major competitor to Christianity"
- Tobias Churton - 2009 "Tobias Churton is a lecturer on Rosicrucianism and Freemasonry at Exeter university, which offers Britain's only master's program in Western esotericism"
- [CITATION] Recent and Upcoming Conferences C Gadelica - Aries, 2008 [PDF] from uva.nl Western Esotericism in the United Kingdom E Howe, R Gilbert, L Price, J Webb "Tobias Churton has made several television programs including the award-winning GNOSTICS series accompanied by the book The Gnostics (1987). He has since published further ..."
- How Reliable is the Story of the Nag Hammadi Discovery? M Goodacre - Journal for the Study of the New Testament, 2013 - jnt.sagepub.com "... if not for the fact that a television crew followed in Robinson's footsteps a decade later, for a Channel 4 (UK) documentary series that aired in 1987, The Gnostics, in which Muhammad"
- (Editorial) A Very American Jihad: Our Barely Civil War WE Powell - Families in Society: The Journal of …, 2004 - alliance1.metapress.com ... The English scholar Tobias Churton (1997, p. 59) noted that in the politics of the Christian Church 1700 years ago, "Whenever there is a deviation from a [desired] societal norm there appears to be a mechanism within the detractor's minds which immediately conjures up images of sexual perversion— especially when those movements are favorable to women .... "
- Trevor-Stewart (ed.), Freemasonry and Religion: Many Faiths, One Brotherhood J Koppen - Journal for Research into Freemasonry and …, 2009 - equinoxpub.com "Tobias Churton focuses on the dominant influence of John T. Desaguliers (1683–1744) and gives "
- Robert A. Gilbert (ed), Seeking the Light: Freemasonry and Initiatic Traditions S Chaitow - Journal for Research into Freemasonry and …, 2009 "... Tobias Churton's concise overview of the major figures and events of the Rosicrucian current offers a lively interpretation of their intentions, providing useful insight and pointing out the tragic irony that these same figures 'never wished their conception to devolve into some kind ..."