Mikaelsson during his time with Aston Villa
|Full name||Tobias Lars Mikaelsson|
|Date of birth||17 November 1988|
|Place of birth||Jörlanda, Sweden|
|Height||1.91 m (6 ft 3 in)|
|2007||→ Ljungskile (loan)||5||(1)|
|2008||→ Port Vale (loan)||6||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 4 May 2015.
He started his professional career with Aston Villa in England in 2007. After loan spells with Ljungskile SK and Port Vale, he signed with Swedish side Trollhättan in 2009. Two years later he joined Ljungskile. He joined Oddevold in February 2013.
Mikaelsson signed for Aston Villa in August 2005 from Swedish Superettan side, Ljungskile – the team he also supports. He never played a game for the Villa senior team, but made appearances at youth level and for the Reserves where he had a prolific goalscoring record. Mikaelsson was thought to have a very bright future ahead of him, some pundits had previously tipped him to become a star while he was at youth level, and follow the footsteps of his boyhood idols Zlatan Ibrahimović and Henrik Larsson. Mikaelsson joined old club Ljungskile on loan in April 2007 to gain first-team experience, and he shone, scoring one goal and giving five assists in the stint. On 18 September 2007 he scored his first hat-trick for Villa Reserves – in a 4–1 victory against Derby County. In January 2008, Mikaelsson joined Port Vale on a one-month loan deal, joining up with team-mate Chris Herd. He played six games for the League One club, Vale lost four and drew two games. After Mikaelsson returned to Villa Park following an ankle injury, Vale were relegated. In July 2008, Mikaelsson was rewarded with a one-year contract extension, keeping him at the club until the summer of 2009. He had a five-day trial with BK Häcken in January 2009. In April 2009, he had an unsuccessful trial at League One Hartlepool United following release from Aston Villa.
Mikaelsson later returned home to Sweden and signed for Trollhättan in July 2009. In his first season in the Superettan, Mikaelsson scored a single goal in 18 appearances for Trollhättan. During the 2010 season, Mikaelsson managed to score 5 goals in 29 appearances for the club, but was unable to help them avoid relegation.
In February 2013, Mikaelsson signed for Division 1 Södra club IK Oddevold. The club finished second in 2013, but were beaten by Varbergs BoIS in the qualification play-offs. They finished in fifth place in 2014 and fourth in 2015.
Style of play
Mikaelsson has said: "I like to think I'm an intelligent type of player with decent technique and decent pace." He is noted for his tall and powerful physique and sound technical ability.
- As of 23 May 2016.
|Club||Season||Division||League||FA Cup||League Cup||Other||Total|
|Port Vale (loan)||2007–08||League One||6||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||6||0|
|Aston Villa||2006–07||Premier League||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|IK Oddevold||2013||Division 1 Södra||25||7||0||0||0||0||2[a]||0||27||7|
|2014||Division 1 Södra||24||4||0||0||0||0||0||0||24||4|
|2015||Division 1 Södra||17||6||0||0||0||0||0||0||17||6|
|2016||Division 1 Södra||5||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||5||0|
- Appearance/s in the play-offs.
- Hugman, Barry J., ed. (2008). The PFA Footballers' Who's Who 2008–09. Mainstream Publishing. p. 292. ISBN 978-1-84596-324-8.
- "Vale sign Villa reserve striker". BBC Sport. 17 January 2008. Retrieved 6 July 2009.
- "Mikaelsson ends Vale loan early". BBC Sport. 15 February 2008. Retrieved 6 July 2009.
- "Aston Villa Player Database". www.astonvillaplayerdatabase.com. Retrieved 18 October 2016.
- "Passport". soccerway.com. Retrieved 13 July 2011.
- "Tobias Mikaelsson klar för Oddevold". oddevold.se. Retrieved 5 February 2013.
- "Varbergs BoIS FC 2 - 1 IK Oddevold". svenskfotboll.se (in Swedish). Retrieved 4 May 2014.
- "Games played by Tobias Mikaelsson in 2007/2008". Soccerbase. Centurycomm. Retrieved 1 January 2017.
- "Games played by Tobias Mikaelsson in 2006/2007". Soccerbase. Centurycomm. Retrieved 1 January 2017.
- "Games played by Tobias Mikaelsson in 2008/2009". Soccerbase. Centurycomm. Retrieved 1 January 2017.
- Tobias Mikaelsson at Soccerway
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tobias Mikaelsson.|